Large Scale Central

Bill’s first Mik entry 2024

Funny I’m following a proto87 modeler in HO and it took him well over 2 years to build a locomotive. I was like man that’s a lot of dedication to work on a project for 2 years. Then I got thinking about how long it’s taken me in some of mine and I realized that 2 years was actually quite fast! :joy:

1 Like

Cliff,

Short answer yes.

Long answer… At the start of this project, I thought I might try Masonite but a few LargeScale Centralian gurus had reported their troubles with it. So I thought I better save it for a smaller project to test its robustness. I might have used marine ply, but my table saw is too small to contemplate using a single board. So i went to the salvage yard.

My wood was once cedar flooring for a school. Cedar is almost considered an exotic wood here. In fact, solid steel fencing is cheaper than building a cedar plank fence. It’s not readily available at the hardware stores.

I ran it through the thickness sander just to get some uniformity for gluing purposes. I figured that ¼ mm variance would add up fast with this number of planks I would need. As you can see I didn’t go to furniture planing depths; just deep enough to get the varnish off and get the major defects removed. There’s a few blade blemishes.

Surprisingly there is still a beautiful aroma coming from these boards.

1 Like

That’s funny Korm.

…and you still have this project ? A thread for active unfinished MIK projects could be therapeutic. All posts could start with…

Hi my name is———— and it’s been ——days/months/years since I started this build… the last time I saw it was…

:innocent:

I don’t even want to begin to list the unfinished project list… It’s at least a dozen projects stalled at some various point. The worst was a boxcar that was down to the final decals and I screwed them up so bad I had to strip back to bare plastic and I haven’t touched it since.

And the good news you’ve held onto the boxcar until technology caught up to make it worthwhile. You now have the perfect reason (not excuse) to get something like Dan Gilchrist’s setup!:innocent:

And you thought I might reference Marie Kondō for help. Ha!

Hi my name is korm and it’s been 13 days/months/years since I started this build… the last time I saw it was… today, when i searched for a screwdriver.

Korm

I love your remarks from 2011 and 2016. You are definitely a man who knows how to pace himself! :rofl: What’s left to do?

outside - the sidewalk, the balconies, outer frames of windows, the doors and painting.
inside - glue down some furniture and figures in the upper storeys, and on street level a bar, some poker tables, a piano and a stage with animated cancan girls. (all perfectly Devoned-out already)
oh, yeah, some lights and a flat roof.

Geez Korm,
Your interiors and exteriors look great!

… And you completed the devoning part with less than 40 hours work to do? You’re right! You are nowhere near pole position! You can probably see the checkered flag from where you are in the race right now!

• I definitely have more than 40 hours left to do! I’m still hemming and hawing the smoke jack and nursing my smoke jack related injuries.
  • Craig reports he has 3+ Mik timelines left.
  • But that Hecla mine project that started 3 weeks ago has been unusually quiet. Too quiet, if you ask me…. So that’s a wild card…:black_joker:

Is there some competition I am not aware of to see who can use my name, in terms of procrastination, the most? I belong in a dictionary. My name is becoming almost as useful as the F word.

another universal adjective, good need one to use around sensitive ears! :open_mouth:

yah the competition to see who takes the longest to finish half done projects. Bill thinks he’s a runner up but my 10+ years is hard to beat…

If you count started but completely abandoned, I’ve got some going back almost 20 years :frowning:

But do you have plans to actually finish it someday? That’s the key.

Yeah that quote is from a single very encouraging shingling post from Rick Marty in 2011. @Rick_Marty

Rick, did you by any chance accidentally delete “Here’s something I prepared earlier”?:wink: I only ask because every morning since the end of the Mik Challege I too have said, “Starting to apply the wood shakes to the building…”

But as I hit the halfway mark yesterday and after reading the above remarks through my Ric Marty induced shingling haze, I had an epiphany!

I hope you’re all sitting down, because It looks like there are enough unfinished projects amongst the LargeScale Centralian population to consider a TAKE THE MARIE KONDŌ or the FINISH A MIK CHALLENGE.

I know this controversial especially as this documentary encourages people accept that they are never going to use/wear/build something figure out if it brings them joy or thank them for joy it brought them, then toss the item.

Forgive me Bob, for I have sinned…
I have gunna-ed 3 projects since my last posting…

1 Like

A few years back we had a MIK challenge was just that to finish half done projects. I can’t remember what I did or if I even finished it.

MIK builds have an interesting feature of half-life. They never quite get finished…

now, this was some kind of minority report.
more than half of the participants do finish.

Then the half that doesn’t finish has a another half life of MIK cycles, etc etc…

1 Like

Dang! I should have cross referenced the LSC Wayback machine before posting that epiphany! Of course you guys would have thought of that…

Yet another “NOT-THE-MIK” update

Craig, I’ve been saying this every day from the Mik.

So far…

Thanks to my glue choices, this is as far as I’ve gotten during the month I joined your & Devon’s race.
I’m thinking if I had chosen Jim’s Goop I’d be finished with the shingling and well into rehab (for glue sniffing) by now. No such luck with TB3 :crazy_face:

I’m a bit concerned though, that you and Devon have been quite quiet (a bit too quiet if you ask me) about the Hecla- Special Project “race”.

At least I’ve caught up to Korm.🥸 (I think)

No rush though, I’m slowly getting through Dan’s kind tutorial to learn how to fill this gap using fusion 360.