Large Scale Central

SMITH CAMP, Calif

Sorry

That’s looking good Rick

David Russell said:
Sorry
Aaawww, Rooster, don't chicken out. You shoulda just told him, "Make my day."

Hi all, A few more progress shots. The completed fireplace mounted to the hotel wall. The roof flashings are in place in the masonary to go out over the roofing when installed. The flue liner ( copper tubing) is in place but needs to be painted a terra cotta and black.

(

A couple of shots of the wood/junk shed in place on the end of the hotel building.

More to come stay tuned Rick

Rick,

Just leave the copper tubing alone, it will weather nicely to the colors nature would have provided on the terra cotta tile.

Bob C.

A little more progress. Starting to apply the split wood shakes to the store building roof. These are split from Red Cedar, someone gave them to me, and they work pretty well in the 1:20 scale. The “to the weather” exposure is a little too much but because these are not tapered you can’t lay them with the correct laps or they stick up in the air too much, at least in my opinion. In the real world all those white colored ones would not be used as that is sap wood and rots much to quickly.

Here the roof is finished and the stain applied to the shakes. The masking tape you see on the porches is for the layout of the porch support posts. I have found that the way to make the strongest connection on something like this (for me) is to drill a hole through the porch deck and insert the post rather than try to make some kind of surface connection.

(

Another view of the finished roof. You can see the metal ridge flashing and the bare wood finish on the back side of the false front. I passed on modeling the “wall to roof” flashing between the two buildings as it would be out of the normal line of sight and most people wouldn’t even know something like that existed.

Thanks for taking a look
Rick

Looking very good Rick! What I did when I shingled roofs on a few structures was start with a bevelled strip of cedar just to get the first course of shingles tilted up abit and then I could lay the next courses at a more realistic exposure.

Rick, totally beautiful… :slight_smile:

Hi all,
Well the store building is finished except for signage, lighting (a porch light and a spot light directed at the signage on the false front) and some final weathering. The wooden crates on the walk are actually structural, they reinforce the walkway that sticks out past the building and joins it to the saloon/hotel.

Now to finish up the hotel.
Later Rick
Randy, That sounds like a good plan, next time :)=)

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/chat/emoticons/good.gif)

Man, the country store sure looks great… :slight_smile:

Looks very much like the old stores I see.
Good work !
Ralph

Looks very nice Rick. Awesome work.

A fine looking edifice Rick! Do they do mail order? First thing I’m gonna do is order some fine new store bought suspenders. These rope things I’m a-wearin’ are gettin’ a bit frayed. :wink:

A great project so far my friend. I’m looking forward to seeing the whole shebang completed on your RR.

Really nice work, as usual!

Hi all,
I had the chance to pretty well finish up the hotel/saloon building today. The ridge cap flashing is yet to be done as well as the signage and weathering. The lighting is all installed and ready to plug into the layout wiring. A view of the building sitting out in the garden. It has the “cardboard” sign on the roof as a place holder until I get the real one done.

There are six lights on the building wired in pairs to help control brightness. Two porch lights, one light over the sign, one back porch light, one light in the fireplace shed, and one iside the windows of the large dormer.

I should get the signs next week and be able to complete this project and get it out on the railroad for our night run scheduled on the 24th.
Thanks for taking a look. Rick

What kind of lights do you use?

Looks super rick :smiley:

Hi Ray, I use the same light for just about everything these days. I get them from ALL Electronics “see picture” they are 14 volt and have a 10" pig taiil. Jonathan at Electric Model Works turned me on to them a few years back for locomotive headlights. I find they work well for car lights as well as building ligts inside and outside. Just add a bead and a finish washer and you have light fixtures.

Later Rick

PS
It just occured to me that you were probably asking if I used bulbs or LED’s. Well I guess at this point you probably guessed that I like bulbs. I model pre 1939 and prefer the “softer” light that a bulb gives, besides I understand the technology.

Thanks. They look like they’re pretty close in size to the 16v “grain of rice” bulbs I’ve been using from Miniatronics.