Large Scale Central

SMITH CAMP, Calif

Hi all, I have been kicking around a scene on the railroad for a while now of a fishing camp on the river in the mountains. They called them “Resorts” when I was a kid but that was really a stretch for the camps I remember. Anyway I have been thinking about a store, bar/hotel with rental cabins, tent camp ground and boat rentals like the ones in my memory. I found/added on to an area on the layout near the steel bridge over the South Fork of the Trinity River and decided to name the place/area after an old fella I know up in Oregun. Guilty conscience I guess, after all I have stolen and used almost every good idea he has came up with over the years so naming an old broke down business after him seemed the least I could do. It was either this or the Cat House I have planned for another area, and I am not sure how his wife would have taken that :)=). What really got this whole project off the ground was bashing an old glass bowl gas pump. I seem to remember one like this in a place called Deer Lick Springs which was a “resort” in the Coast range Mountains of Trinity County. CA but I was only like 4-5 years old when GranDad took me in there. Soooo, memory and fact may not exactly line up but still it got this project going finally. Here is a shot of the gas pump, there will be more on it later.

Here are some shots of the first cardboard mockups ( well actually I changed these several times before I got what I was looking for) Doing this allows me to get a better feel for the shape and proportions of the structures and what they might look like in place. The front views from left and right.

And a view of the back.

Thanks for taking a look. More to come. Rick

Neat proportions on the building, can’t wait watch it ‘grow’!

That’s great Rick! I’ll be following this one very closely.

Looking good Rick. A little paint and that mock up would look pretty good on an indoor layout :smiley:

Nice start. What material are you going to use.

Hi all,
This is the area on the layout where Smith camp will be installed. I had to widen the table about 18 inches and install an extra support leg to carry the load. The black gravel is volcanic cinders, I use them as an under base because they are light and the rain water disipates quickly.

This view from the back side shows part of the rockwork and the trail down to the river.

Here you can see how the railroad runs by the new “resort area” but is slightly seperated by the rockwork.

More to come If you, or I, don’t loose interest. Rick

Rick,

What are you using for your major rock forms? Is that foam?

Rick,

What a WONDERFUL NAME for a high class resort!!! I even relate to the broken down part. :smiley: I was highly complimented by your mention of using all of my “good” ideas. Which one of the two did you use? hehehe!

Incidentally: Great idea although your cat house idea might have been more “useful”! :wink: :slight_smile:

The modeling start looks wonderful (as usual for you). I too am interested in your rock making. And that gas pump…outstanding!!!

Thats going to be a great addition.

Almost looks like a pile of great stuff and then sculpted and painted. I hate the guessing and hope we get an answer.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the interest.
Sorry about the delay in answering questions but I had to work today, man I hate that.

Anyway.

Dave,
When I started I wasn’t sure what material I was going to use but have settled on an Acrylic base form covered with wood.

Ric,
The rock work and most of the base formations are cement stucco.
I use a Chicken Wire for the base form then cover that with a layer of burlap dipped in a stucco mix. Once that is dry I use an old paint brush and slop on another coat of stucco. The rock formations are done just like we used to do in HO “with plaster of paris”. I just use a thicker mix of the stucco and put it in wadded up tin foil and stick it to the base. Once set I pull of the foil and do a little carving with a screwdriver and wire brush to tie it all together.

The coloring is done with Acrylic washes in spray bottles. The stucco mix I have been using is; 2 parts “plastic cement” and one part Monteray sand.

Richard,
Thank you Sir.
I was pleased with the results on the gas pump. It started life as an 1:18 scale pump and I did quite a bit of cutting and rebuilding to get the final result. Also I learned something very quickly, "you can’t chuck a tapered cyclinder in the lathe with a 3 jaw chuck and not expect to duck as it parts company with the turning machine :)=)

Hopefully I can get some more information on the project posted
later this evening.
Rick

SMITH? Camp??? I imagine this to be a retirement and assisted living sort of place? …:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
SMITH? Camp??????????? I imagine this to be a retirement and assisted living sort of place? ................;)
Ouch! Just wait to you fully retire. Pay back is a bitch !!!!
Jon Radder said:
Ken Brunt said:
SMITH? Camp??????????? I imagine this to be a retirement and assisted living sort of place? ................;)
Ouch! Just wait to you fully retire. Pay back is a bitch !!!!
Hell, he is retired. He just goes and plays truck driver when there's no one around to run trains with ;) Ralph

I hear he’s runnin mushrooms down south on occasion
:wink:

Another update on the project. The wood base rails have been installed to carry the buildings base. This is Redwood ripped to 1-1/2 inches square.

The 1/2 inch cement board base is installed over the wood rails.

Just a couple of views of the mock-up sitting on the building base.

You may have noticed the trees (shrubs) on the table top. This is something new we are trying this year. A box is built below the table about 16 inches square and 12 inches deep and filled with mulch. The shrubs AKA trees are left in their pots and planted. Mini sprinklers are added and some ground cover planted. Seems to be working better than we expected in our hot climate. One of these days soon I will get started on the actual building, really.
Later Rick

The added greenery really looks nice.
I like the last picture. That will be an excellent view when the camp is finished.
Ralph

Ken Brunt said:
You looking for a place are you? About time. We have one wood pallet available complete with splinters I can get you into cheap. The relief station is a two holer and is fur lined. You bring your own Depends of course. ;) Assisted living at its finest!

That’s really going to look neat Rick!

Very cool