Large Scale Central

Bill’s first Mik entry 2024

Thanks Dan. Have done.

Nothing for me to constructively contribute, but to let anyone that cares…at least ONE PERSON…me; from Canada, is reading this great thread…
Thank you, everyone…
Fred Mills Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

More of Not the Mik

Thanks Rick for giving me another option. It’s great to have alternatives. Hopefully Dan will be able to get me past Tinkercads limitations, and your suggestion has given me an idea for another project!

I’ll second Fred’s comment and also thank everyone for adding valuable comments and suggestions to my Mik and my Not the Mik part of the build. For me it’s a fantastic confirmation of Fred’s comment of how a Mik Challenge can make one a better modeller.

I’m now pin nailing like it’s going out of style. Dave, Dan & Jim, how did I ever build without one?

I was going to hold off until the end so I could do a proper glamour shot, but as I have now placed my 912th shingle with titebond 3…

…joined Craig & Devon’s race, (Korm, I believe you have a head start.)

…and now need to turn the engine house around,

…then place only 1026 more shingles, so I thought I’d post a pic.

As an aside, I wouldn’t count myself as a rivet counter, but attaching shingles using titebond 3 (I’m talking to you Hollywood & Rooster :crazy_face:), I am counting each and every one of these! My arms are dead!

Jim & David, the canopy vs goop glue experiment continues on the bottom left.

Korm, Devon & Craig, you guys are quite safe! I’m entering rehab before the next section…

Oh good. More time for me to keep Devoning on my project. Got to keep expectations low over here so you can “catch up”.

Apologies Craig…

It’s not my fault… I didn’t end up in rehab.

Look, I thought I better let you and the other creampuffs know that devoning time for the race is significantly shorter than anticipated. I really don’t know how this happened…

I was just passing through the garage, minding my own business, tired, sore and grumbling about my aching arms and…
… looked up and noticed the building had been turned around, and I, somehow was sitting in front of it. :open_mouth:

“ I don’t want to shingle” I murmured. ”but I t’s just one shingle

OMG Vic! Is this how it starts?

I just looked up and there was a line of shingles! A whole line of them! :innocent: Do I need an INTERVENTION? Herself seems happy I’m occupied out in the garage… for hours…

Anyway, shingling is not fun and definitely not addictive
… I can give it up any time! :crazy_face:

Pssst… anyone got any Taylor Roofing Tin?
I’m asking for a friend. Ha!

1 Like

Well darn. I knew something was up.

As for Taylor Tin, your local favorite canned liquid and a paper crimper seem to work okay. Definitely not scale in 1/29 or even 1/20 but hey it’s easy and it “looks okay” from far away.

You’re not helping my addiction Craig! :grimacing:
Who knows what I would get up to with large sheets of roofing!
I really need to learn the art of devoning buildings.

I need to get soil in the back yard for the second garden bed right of way. Ooh, maybe I do know how to devon.

Anyway, I want to know what your signature piece is as apparently you or Korm have pole position in this race.

The hint is my profile picture. I should update that when the building is done but then no one who know who I am.

How much more to go with the Feed Store and Mill? And I thought my build was huge!

The store alone? That’s probably a 3 MIK build. Then the rest of the mill…

1 Like

Never thought of MIK as a unit of time. Makes sense though! :grin:

3 of Craig MIK builds aka multiple extensions… Not Rick MIK time frames. :joy:

1 Like

…or a Vic Mik time frame?
:rofl: whooosh!

pole position??? race??

young man, you are soou wrong! any kind of race, or position would imply physical movement.

one can obsessivly build something (you will know, what that means, when you notice the first shingles nailed to your car), but that is not a part of Devoning!
it’s more like a kind of colateral damage…

to underline my point, i added - mind me, just for you - my signature, i use in another forum.

there is a very big difference between Devoning and building slowly.
finishing a MIK-build by midsummer is still hasty.
see, Craig is still building on the same project for over a decade.
i am still busy finishing my MIK-challenge from 2011 (the greenbuck hotel)
so, one can rightly say, we are not hasty.

but Devoning is a pure intelectual occupation. it has exclusively to do with future projects.
think about them, overthink them, think about alternatives, rethink them, tell all the world, how nice they will be, once you realize them, and so on…

how to become a Devoninger? - you could try using an alu-hat, but that does not work for everybody.
my personal aproach is to not be very ambitious. i am now planning/Devoning my fifth ultimate layout. - knowing, that i will never complete it. (the way is the goal)
/rant

1 Like

Bill, sorry for not keeping up. I was looking at your first photos and was amazed at how clean and perfectly dimensioned your boards were. Stunning saw work. Maybe I missed it, but are you plane-ing [huh, Google doesn’t like the word planing] all your wood?

Beautiful work.

Carry on…

Cliff

1 Like

Funny I’m following a proto87 modeler in HO and it took him well over 2 years to build a locomotive. I was like man that’s a lot of dedication to work on a project for 2 years. Then I got thinking about how long it’s taken me in some of mine and I realized that 2 years was actually quite fast! :joy:

1 Like

Cliff,

Short answer yes.

Long answer… At the start of this project, I thought I might try Masonite but a few LargeScale Centralian gurus had reported their troubles with it. So I thought I better save it for a smaller project to test its robustness. I might have used marine ply, but my table saw is too small to contemplate using a single board. So i went to the salvage yard.

My wood was once cedar flooring for a school. Cedar is almost considered an exotic wood here. In fact, solid steel fencing is cheaper than building a cedar plank fence. It’s not readily available at the hardware stores.

I ran it through the thickness sander just to get some uniformity for gluing purposes. I figured that ¼ mm variance would add up fast with this number of planks I would need. As you can see I didn’t go to furniture planing depths; just deep enough to get the varnish off and get the major defects removed. There’s a few blade blemishes.

Surprisingly there is still a beautiful aroma coming from these boards.

1 Like

That’s funny Korm.

…and you still have this project ? A thread for active unfinished MIK projects could be therapeutic. All posts could start with…

Hi my name is———— and it’s been ——days/months/years since I started this build… the last time I saw it was…

:innocent:

I don’t even want to begin to list the unfinished project list… It’s at least a dozen projects stalled at some various point. The worst was a boxcar that was down to the final decals and I screwed them up so bad I had to strip back to bare plastic and I haven’t touched it since.

And the good news you’ve held onto the boxcar until technology caught up to make it worthwhile. You now have the perfect reason (not excuse) to get something like Dan Gilchrist’s setup!:innocent:

And you thought I might reference Marie Kondō for help. Ha!