Large Scale Central

2011 challenge - THE GREENBUCK HOTEL

i really doubt that i’ll get done in time. between sorting, cutting and sanding coffeestirrers plus cutting and placing the pieces of fishing line, the walls take much time. anybody got a better idea, how to raise one side of the boards?

edit: i blame McDonalds! their quality control is shitty at best! about every fourth stirrer isn’t straight! (well, somebody has to be blamed. why not them?)

if i were a carpenter…

You mean a G scale-sized carpenter?

What technique are you using to make windows? I need to make about 30 of them for the gold/silver mill.

Dough, i just cut some plastic stripes and glue them upon plexy. measuring the first one of each size, then laying a made one under the plexy for the next. the frames are plastic stripes too. when the wall is painted, i will glue on some counterframes or blends to hide the gaps between windows and walls. the worst part is to cut the plastic stripes all to the same width.

one wall ready for painting at last. i put it against another building for an eyeball test:

i declare myself defeated.

if i discount time for work and sleep, i’m left with about six or seven hours till the deadline.
but if i build the model like i want, i will need more than 40 hours to finish.

so i accept defeat in front of this challenge and finish my model after i finish my temporal job.

Korm thats is looking great.

I don’t set my coffee cup on my desk. Sometimes I can’t locate the thing.
So I’m with Jon I wont post a pic of my desk either.

the deadline well in the past finally i find a little time to go on with my hotel. i got a question. from the pic below - which color would you think adequate for a cattletown hotel in the 1800s?

Honestly Korm,
I can’t see a difference between 1 & 2, or between 3 & 4.
But I like 6 or 8.
Ralph

the difference is, that one and three let the color below them shine through. see the diagonal stripes.

1 and 2 are toothpaste. (2 was applied twice)
3 and 4 are crackfiller (4 as double application)
6 is two drops of black ink (stamp-pad refiller) with a squirt of alcohol.
8 is just one drop with a squirt.

all were pinselled on with a stiff brush.

I have to agree with Ralph.
6 or 8

I’ll go with the 6 or 8 but has anyone looked at a late 1800s color chart? I know I’m counting rivets but…

I like 10 or 11. It has a more natural look to it.

Geoff George said:
I have to agree with Ralph. 6 or 8
Me too. Ink/Alcohol will be my next color experiment. It's way simple and looks good too.

10 is polish repair liquid for furnitures. (just one application)
11 is the same, with a wash of the ink-alcohol mix over it.

so you all seem to be in favour of going for a look of aged untreated wood.

edit: Doug, where do i find that colors?

Korm,

I think that a hotel in the 1880s would have fairly new paint, not unprotected, weathered wood.

Take a look at this photo from the 1880s. It is well painted.

Steve Featherkile said:
Korm,

I think that a hotel in the 1880s would have fairly new paint, not unprotected, weathered wood.

Take a look at this photo from the 1880s. It is well painted.

I tend to agree…
However your building your RR Korm
:wink:

Ya,
But that’s a resort in Hot Springs.
Hotel in a mining or logging town might not be so pretty.
Ralph

Still think in 1880 it would have been painted when built to protect the wood.