Large Scale Central

2011 challenge - THE GREENBUCK HOTEL

Jerry, the two screens at the right i need both, when i am playing around with gamedeveloping. if not, one of those most often loads videos (i hate stop and go videos) the other for writing, googling or playing. the old pc/left screen is mostly for surfing. the tv is most often silent, because i know most films they show. out of the picture are scanner and printer, a new LP-player and some half empty space for the ordered stereo. i like to have my essentials around me. -------------------- on topic: just to get the question out of the way, here is a pic of part of the existing materials for Mik. might be, that i’ll have to buy a pot of white glue (about $1.50)

the windows for the groundfloor are done. i used thin transparent plastic, a bit larger than the window openings to be glued from behind against the wall. on this plastic i glue the precut stripes. the sideframes will be glued in, once the windows are placed in the wall. the first window was measured to get the desired proportions. for the others i simply laid the plastic upon the first window and glued the stripes above those from the first window. eight more windows in two more sizes to go. for the upper storeys.

it was easy, but time consuming. only the clear plastic was a pain above the chair. it is so thin and unflexible, that it breaks when i try to saw it. both with a handsaw and with a motorized one. at last i marked the cutlines with a carpetknife and broke the sheets.

And we’re off to a good start

Korm Kormsen said:
your desk is giving me the creeps… only women can be so cruel to surpress the individuality of their own pardners. ------------ well, i think its time to fill up the empty space on my workbench again.

Korm, I put together a new computer. If my desk gave you the creeps before, it should really give you the heebie geebies now :smiley: As soon as I get the data off the old system, I’ll be hooking up a second flat screen. It has been a couple years since I’ve run dual monitors. Ralph

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cabby/_forumfiles/044Sm.JPG)

what is the lower grey box? a fax?

i got myself spoiled by using two screens. many things that need more than one window open are so much easier to do.

in 24 hours the weekend starts. i did nothing on my hotel during the whole week.

I’ve not started… :frowning:

On top of the computer is a laser printer. Unfortunately, there are no 64bit drivers, so I’ll have to move it to another system.
Ralph

normally i would not worry about starting so early neither. but as i got 10 to 11 hours work daily, plus half saturdays till end of february, time is a bit pressing for me.

i had a bit of time. now at least the windows are finished.

i seek advice. having made a little test, how to make the walls, the three sections (marked with a ball pen at the right) need different building time. if i use the middle section as “1”, than the upper section with sanded edges takes “2” time and the lower (with underlayed plastic strips, to raise one side of each board) section takes “4”. i plan to paint the wall in white, then to dull it with a little grey aging. will the lower section’s higher effort really be seen with the paint on it? (i’m not sure, if i got enough free time to finish everything in time, if the walls alone take days)

well, no answers in time. but i decided, that the timelimit of the challenge is not as important as having something i could have made better on my layout. the “overlapping” boards it will be. the thickness of the wall established i started framing:

Korm Kormsen said:
We build for eternity, so why should we hasten?
To meet the challenge deadline?
Korm Kormsen said:
but i decided, that the timelimit of the challenge is not as important as having something i could have made better on my layout.
Will wager it is demonstrably safe to say you'll be happier in the long run that way.
Forrest Scott Wood said:
Korm Kormsen said:
We build for eternity, so why should we hasten?
To meet the challenge deadline?
Ya gotta give Korm an 'A' for effort. Not only is he working like a dog, and still trying to play....but the nearest hobby shop is something like a thousand miles away.
Korm Kormsen said:
well, no answers in time. but i decided, that the timelimit of the challenge is not as important as having something i could have made better on my layout. the "overlapping" boards it will be.
Well, I was going to vote for the "overlap" anyway ;) Ralph
Mik said:
....but the nearest hobby shop is something like a thousand miles away.
but that is part of the fun! it is much more satisfying to build, than to buy. even buying gets interesting if one lives remote. - in early december i bought two used Stainzes from holland for about 64 dollars each. first the post in holland was on strike, now the argentinians don't move on the transit freight to paraguay... maybe i'll have the locos before easter.

and no, sir, i’m not working as a dog. (no dog would be that crazy) they just made me an offer, i could not refuse. nearly 2000 for six weeks. that’s much money down here. (ten percent of it will be additional train-money)

Forrest & Ralph,
once taken the decision i feel good. if i’m not in time for the challenge i can show it of later. nearly done with the framing.
next hurdle will be the balkony railing. (cut veneerstripes or toothpicks)

Krom the trick is to do two sides and only show them in your photos for the Challenge. :wink:

Geoff, great minds think alike!

you see the foamsheet? that will be replaced by a handpainted background - eventually.
looking at the building, the right side will be leaning to the next building. just a plain wall.
the back will be left open to slide in some interior with lighting, when i come to phase 3 of the layoutbuilding.
so that leaves two detailed sides to build… :wink: :wink:

oops! forgot to re-insert the pic, i was ranting about this morning.

i really doubt that i’ll get done in time. between sorting, cutting and sanding coffeestirrers plus cutting and placing the pieces of fishing line, the walls take much time. anybody got a better idea, how to raise one side of the boards?

edit: i blame McDonalds! their quality control is shitty at best! about every fourth stirrer isn’t straight! (well, somebody has to be blamed. why not them?)

if i were a carpenter…

You mean a G scale-sized carpenter?

What technique are you using to make windows? I need to make about 30 of them for the gold/silver mill.