Large Scale Central

old challenge - new start-over

the older amongst you might remember, that i partook in the first two challenges.

the first was a little outhouse car for my MOW train.

the second was a never finished hotel. http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/14136/2011-challenge-the-greenbuck-hotel?page=1

when we had the “Back to School Challenge” last year, i actually got some space on my workbench cleared, and did find some of the partially done pieces.

while you other guys finished some old projects, i had a three week vacation in hospital and a drugged christmas.

after that my energy was just enough for bull-$-ing in the forums, but not for doing much.

now, after this year’s challenge, with its many nice buildings, i decided, that it is time, to finish my 2011 challenge build!

i got the front finished, most corner posts added and am building the third side now.

(while my printer is busy to make 16 pieces of balcony railings)

hopefully, in one or two years this build will be done…

Keep up the good work my friend!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Plugging along. Nice work. I see the shoring on the work bench is still holding back the debris. Looks good. Keep it up.

Good to see you back to working on your projects. Thanks for sharing.

That’s the way to do it Korm. one little step at a time.

BTW: what do you use those old hard drives for? I’ve taken the magnets out and glued them together. I now have a very strong stopper/magnet to hold the pieces I’m gluing together (unless the magnets stick to themselves due to their strong strength).

thanks for the comments.

Matt, as you do, i take out the magnets. the rest of the drives serves as weights and as 90° jigs for glueing.

I used hard drive magnets, glued to the ties of my track, to activate the LGB sound module reed switches. The silly little plastic LGB thing, with a magnet in it, kept coming loose and sinking in the ballast.

yes, i was told by my local electronics provider and computer medic, about the magnets in my old drives, when i looked for magnets to put under the locos for reed activation.

who cares about the funny shapes, these things have, as strong as they do atrackt?

You do know that if you put a strong magnet close enough to a motor, it can affect that motor.

I found from working with Willie the Wonder Horse that that sticking neodynium magnets on a motor’s case can/will impact the speed of the motor positively or negatively.

Todd, that’s interesting. I know that someone was selling “super magnets” to improve the old open frame motors that were used in so many HO locomotives back in the day. But I never thought of just sticking a magnet to the motor.

after i made a new floor for the 1st floor, i can glue the parts together.

This is a very ambitious project off to a great start and I can’t wait to see how it all turns out…so…hurry up!

Korm

I have a few gel cells around that I never knew what to do with. You have shown me a good use.

Thanks!

Tom

Still learning about this system. I thanked John instead of Korm. I don’t see an undo for ‘Thanked’. I guess you get to keep it John. Now I thanked Korm.

Tom Stephens said: I thanked John instead of Korm. I don’t see an undo for ‘Thanked’. I guess you get to keep it John.

I’ll do my best to earn the thanks, Tom.

Tom,

i got one anyway. this was a first. getting a thanks for a post, where i wrote nearly nothing.

(another proof, that a pic is worth a lot of words)

these batteries are ideal for modelling. they dont leak, they are perfectly cornered to 90° and they weight more than a full ashtray.

John,

you could give one back to Tom… :wink:

the second and third floor floors are planned as “drawers”.

that way i will have ample space for my fat fingers, when i come to building the interior, and each floor gets its own backwall.

only the first floor will get a flooring of coffeestirrers now, because the big door allows to look into the building even without lamps.

meaning, the building as such is constructed.

next will be painting the house, then framing the windows. after that i will build the balconies and the sidewalk.

well, my windows seem to be realistic enough. through five years worth of dust on the second and third floor windows, the figures i placed there are nearly invisible.

another thousand words:

looking good

but not finished.

this is, how i want the floors.

Looking good there, Korm!!! I like all the windows.

Trivia: How many coffee stirrers has Korm used so far?