Large Scale Central

Bill’s first Mik entry 2024

Two thousand five hundred and sixteen shingles later…

Step into the future of wayside railway industries with this newly constructed 2-bay engine house. Designed with modern functionality and architectural finesse, this engine house features two spacious bays equipped with cutting-edge maintenance equipment, and an annex for napkin storage while still providing a turnkey solution for locomotive servicing and upkeep.

Nestled deep within the vibrant southern LargeScale Centralian railway community, this meticulously glued & pin-nailed structure offers unparalleled convenience and efficiency to tackle any type narrow gauge upkeep required in the modern age of steam.

/

With its sleek design and durable construction, it stands as a testament to MIK innovation in the railway industry. Whether used for commercial purposes or as a centrepiece for a garden railway museum, this engine house represents a prime investment opportunity in the ever-evolving landscape of transportation infrastructure.

I think I’ve gone as far as I can for the time being. There’s some tweaks to be added, but I need to get the railway up and running.

Big thanks to all the advice and help from you guys during my first build.

3 Likes

Just as I hit reply to the last post I realised I didn’t include the obligatory glamour shot…

1 Like

Nah, don’t believe ya… can you do a recount? :laughing:

Seriously, bloody nice job mate.

Cheers
N

Beautiful building inside and out.

1 Like

Gotta give credit where credit is due, I think this is the longest MIK thread in the history of the builds. If in fact it is done , who knows these things can take on a life of their own. :grinning:
All kidding aside that is a beautiful build , Bill you should be proud of the results you have achieved.

2 Likes

Longest and actually completed after the deadline build.

So what’s next Bill? How are you going to kick our, I mean my butt off the couch, into the workshop again? Clearly I’ve lost so no more motivation for anything. :joy:

1 Like

Very well done Bill. You do know that by finishing, you won’t be able to use it in the next ‘Finish a never finished MIK project’ :sunglasses:

1 Like

Echoing others, gorgeous work!

1 Like

congratulations!

the only doubts, this thread leaves for me, is about categories.

i knew about rivetcounters.
but shinglecounting?
do we need a new category? shinglecounters?

Fantastic job Bill! And huge congrats on seeing it through!!

Yeah @Rick_Marty , you’re right, it’s like Frankenstein’s monster, it has taken on a life of its own… I attached four more shingles and got a reply from the good folks at ELECTIC PRODUCTS to answer Dave’s question way back in post 157.

Here is an excerpt:

As for the two products, both of which are solvent based adhesives that cure via the solvent evaporating. E6000 employs perchloroethylene as its solvent (which is non-flammable), whereas Amazing Goop uses toluene, and Petroleum Distillates (which are flammable). The difference between these is evaporation time which impacts tack time of the adhesive–the E6000 has a tack time of 4 minutes whereas the Amazing Goop’s is 2 minutes.

The strength (read as: tensile strength) is relatively the same for both (3500 lb/square inch for E6000, and 3800 lb/square in for Amazing Goop), as well as which substrates they adhere. Both are abrasion resistant, paint-able, remain flexible when cured, and are washer/dryer safe (once cured).

The different versions of Amazing Goop and E6000 have slight differences such as:
-Amazing Goop Craft is the low-viscosity formula (thinner version)
-E6000 precision tip and jewelry and bead are the low-viscosity formulas and include fine-point tips for small applications.
-Amazing Goop “Marine” has added UV protection
-E6800 is the “UV” version of E6000
-E6100 is the HIGH viscosity formula (non-sag, for vertical applications).

In the meantime I’ve put Frankenstein’s monster up high and out of easy reach, to decrease chances that villager below will post another Not-the-Mik attachment.

But first… @Jim_Rowson & @David_Marconi_FOGCH I bought E6000 for fabric with a narrow application nozzle and being thinner than regular goop worked into tight spots quite well.

Ok I believe that is all…
Yup…
I think so.
Anything else?
Nope.
Okay.

Hopefully Bob’s Summer School MasterClass comes to fruition… to distract me from adding anything else to this post😂

…did I type that out loud?

good info, will have to look for the fine tip version

Bill, nice building and all, but…

I have a question. Who has cathedral windows, a sliding glass door, and a finished sheetrock ceiling in their shop? Or, put differently, who keeps tool boxes, a ladder, and steel shelving in one of their living rooms??

Obviously, The Bill does!!

I mean… wow.

Hat’s off to SWMBO.

:wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :crazy_face:

Cliff,

Why? What does a typical shed look like over your way?

With SIPs (structural insulated panels), building a ceiling underneath comes an extra cost, so we gyprocked the bottom of the roof and added windows.

The hidden cost was finding a priest and keeping the parishioners from touching the shingles on the Not-the-Mik part of the build. :smiling_imp: I generally am in charge of the sinsley-like self-sacrifices though. :grin:

When we rented in Broken Hill, at Herself’s suggestion to keep me off the streets, that was what our living room actually did look like.

Cliff is jealous … :laughing:

Me too!!

Great looking space, Bill.

1 Like

Well… YEAH!! Probably too late though for cathedral windows in my shed…

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

… and he made the color scheme match his (or Herself’s?) nice car… or vice versa… I tell ya that’s planning right there.

So this is what you meant, Rick… the post has a life of its own! Ha!