Large Scale Central

New Site Software (No longer a Sneak Peek)

I had a thread like that, so I looked at the URL (right click, copy image link, and paste,) but I still couldn’t find the pic.

In my case there was no URL of any kind. I knew the images must be on my personal website, so I
went there and checked the ones with similar creation dates to that of the posts. It was pretty
easy to find the proper ones, which I then edited into (the URL that is) the broken posts.

Bob, not sure where else to ask this, but I have two threads that all the links have vanished. I can’t even find the link to check them out and re-link them. To the best of my knowledge the greatest majority should be on my server. the threads are:
D&RGW 6000 Series Flat Car
Major K27 Overhaul

No particular rush, just hoped to catch you before you archived everything.

Thanks

Ill look through it. I have a local backup of the whole previous website, including photos, so digging things up is possible, just not always straightforward. Ill add those to my search list.

Thanks Bob, and Martha too for putting up with us. Hopefully she is healing well.

She’s doing well, thanks, maybe six or eight more weeks of PT. Slow going.

1 Like

Looking through this thread now. VERY interesting, the link is just plain old MIA. I found the opening post and replaced it, but the images are still MIA, but I can open them. Workin’ on it…

EDIT to add:

I’m continuing to change flags around the images. One of the things I just turned off is the localization of images. Discourse downloads the image to the site when it encounters one, instead of pointing to it. This could make my storage costs soar. It also breaks when it encounters ones it can’t open directly.

This should fix some of the missing image threads, but not all of them.

1 Like

Bob,

How does this affect “drag-n-drop” of images? If I drag an image from my desktop, discourse obviously can’t point to it…

That will still upload, its just the “File over on this other webpage” wont get copied. I understand why someone might want their website to do that, but thats a LOT of potential storage.

Thanks Bob. That explains an oddity in one of the posts I repaired last week. 99% of images in my posts are stored on my website. Most posts with broken images point to my website, but not with https. Those are an easy fix. I found at least one post with broken images that pointed to what looked like the URL for your storage.

1 Like

Yea, it was a piece of the puzzle as to why some Freight Shed images were on the server, but not showing up.

And the old “Photo Albums” are another story entirely… ugh

Morning Bob. I have managed to repair all the links in the two threads mentions after our chat time last evening. There are a couple links by other folks that are broken and have PM’d them requesting them to fix the links. In the D&RGW 6000 Series Flat Car thread there are two links posted by Bart Salmons. I don’t know if it is possible, but could you look at possibly restoring those links or redirecting the links. They are post #34 and 39. BTW, I really like the post numbering here, very easy to read.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that as people edit their old threads to fix things they come up as new or unread.

This is NOT a bad thing as it recalls some really nice builds that have been buried in the dust for years!

1 Like

Yea, that is neat. It’s always been important to me to save as much of the the historical content on LSC as I could. There’s some really neat threads from the early days.

Bob, I have figured out how to repopulate my photos and am getting more comfortable with the new site. My question is are the Signature blocks for members going to reappear?. They usually show the members railroad name which is interesting.

Edit: I just found how to show Signature Blocks in Preferences then Profile.

at beginning to try to re-picturize my threads, i found something very disturbing.
not only are there empty picture frames, that wait for the URL to be changetd from http to https,
but there are posts, where the pics disapeared completely!
not even wit “inspection” are the URLs to be found.

how shall i be able to remember for thousands of posts, where which of hundreds of pics could have been?

tha begins to be really irritating.

(example thread: At last some time )

If you can tell me which post in there is missing pictures, I can dig up the data from the old forums and re-import it.

Korm, Not sure I understand your comments, but if I understand them correctly you are saying when you view the thread there are places where pics should be and there is not ‘box’ where the pic should be, just a little extra space between the text.

I had some like that, and some with a little bitty box that would not respond to any inquiry. I found if I just went and did the edit the post I was able to get to the picture links. Had several different faux paxs messing with the links but was able to fix them.

first post in that thread. the text lets me believe, that there was a pic. but no empty frame visible.
but re-importing will not be necessary.
in the meantime i tried to repair some threads, discovering, that the emty frames look like this in the edit: “( url )” but there are pics that have before the “( " some more signs. among them an” ! "
these of the second type don’t even give a hint in the post, that there could have been a pic.
so that would mean, that i and everybody else will have to edit each and every of my 2000 + posts by hand, to repair my threads.
partially repair.
because i can not edit the posts of others in my threads.

even if i’m out of the whole scripting stuff for nearly 20 years, i can not believe, that it should be impossible to order this software to accept “http” URLs as well.
that should “repair” thousands of missing pics instantly.

Bob Cope,
yes, we can… :rofl:
but tell me, how many posts have you already repaired?
i may have repaired about fifty. only 2000 plus to go.

Korm, exactly the issues I found. Added parenthesis, exclamation points, and pound symbols. I didn’t count the number of posts I fixed, but likely less than 100. I was just glad to be able to do it with out asking BD to do it, The links I can’t fix are those posted by others. I have reached out to them, time will tell. I do have a couple links by Bart that he will not be able to repair I have asked for BD’s help with. I don’t have as many but I feel your pain.