Large Scale Central

New Site Software (No longer a Sneak Peek)

Myself I’ve repaired a couple hundred posts. Some of the links I cant fix, like some of Bart’s links to his old freight shed. I can eventually rebuild them in the older threads, but I’m concentrating on going from latest posts BACK in history.

I do get in kind of a rhythm in a thread when Im repairing them. But I have to find them first. :slight_smile:

Bob,

Would it be possible to bring the old site back up in a “read only” mode?
Then individuals could find the old versions of their posts, grab the missing info, and paste into the new site. Could save you a ton of work…

Not directly, but I am looking at importing the forum topics and posts into a temporary, searchable space so people besides me have access to the raw data.

i don’t like the idea to personally ask Steve Featherkyle, to fix his posts in the thread, i recently repaired.

Korm, if you read my my post (140?) I refer to that same issue with posts by Bart Salmons. I refer to asking BD to repair those two links. I am also not attempting to repair every thread I have ever posted on, only a few that have special interest to me and I have referenced to others now and again.

I am sure Bart, Steve and other Fallen Flags have posts in many of our threads and those holes will be remembered when those threads are mentioned/referenced.

1 Like

I totally agree, Bob C. Neat to see old threads and, in a way, sense the presence of friends who are no longer with us.

On a different note, when Jon Radder praised the new topic listing under our profiles, and how easy it was to see our past threads summarized, I had to look. And wow, I concur! Great new side benefit!

The thread activity list is both a blessing and a curse. I have been checking mine for bad photo links and this morning spent close to two hours fixing the two threads that document my latest indoor expansion. Over 100 posts in each thread and most of those had 4 or more pictures to fix. The fixes, so far, have been easy edits. Interesting that a few of the broken photos were stored in the Freight Shed and only required repair of the URL to get them to show. Unfortunately, I cant fix the replies that have photos.

I’m sorry to report that I have not been checking any old threads to see if they need fixing. I have fixed a couple that I was looking for - which had random pictures missing. The latest, my Duckbill coach roof thread, was missing a photo linked from the FS and uploaded a few weeks earlier. The current photos (uploaded to FS and linked when the thread was created,) were still there.

I think there is a clue there somewhere. Photos from history are turning up as blanks?

I have another (minor) issue. I’m getting tags/flags on my icon/avatar top right (I am on my laptop,) and there are yellow ones and green ones.

Unfortunately, see pic, when you click the icon/avatar it isn’t clear what is the green flag for, or the yellow one.

I mean - which line is the green tag (turns out to be the email from Cliff.) Which is the yellow tag for? And why is the “25 replies Summer Fall 2021 photo thread” in yellow?

From a discourse tutorial found on the internet (so it must be true!), but clearly with a different color scheme:

Notifications

When someone is talking directly to you — by replying to you, quoting your post, mentioning your @username , or even linking to your post, a blue number will immediately appear over your profile picture at the top right.

When you have been sent a Personal Message you will receive this in your Inbox and a green number will appear over your profile picture to the left.

Click your profile image to scroll through all your notifications.

Yes, but I am just flagging that the list doesn’t correspond with the colors of the ‘flags’.

1 Like

Haven’t had an update in a while…

I continue to hunt down and rebuild threads that have missing photos, and members are also repairing their own threads. We’re currently hosting about 500MB of images on Amazon S3, which is about 40c a month.

Site is looking good overall. I’ve had no errors on the back end, compared to several megabytes of error logs weekly from the old site to sift through. I continue to look through layouts and color schemes to find one I like 100%. And I miss the logo in the top left.

I continue to fine-tune the ads. The way ads are served on here, I put both locally-served ads (Advertisers like Stan Cedarleaf, Precision RC, RCSNE, etc) and Google AdSense. AdSense has its own “where to insert ads on a page” code, but I think I have that tamed mostly now. I haven’t run across an annoying Block-The-Page ad in several days.

Chat is running mostly smoothly, though I continue to encounter the blank-page-gotta-reload issue once in a while. Tracking that one down.

Overall site traffic is up slightly compared to the 90-day history, and the same period from a year ago. Not sure if that’s a general trend or just an anomaly. I would like to think that people that had trouble posting pictures on the old site are at least interested in the site update.

Onward and upward!

4 Likes

You are doing a great job. Tally-ho! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

1f44d

One small glitch that I find is on the main page. It shows “Unread(1)” and it’s always the same one.
Under the articles section it goes to the start of my build log and nothing’s been posted on that since Aug 2019.
" A Raised Road Bed: A build log for the RGS raised layout."

Yea, for some reason “new” doesnt seem to clear itself. You need to press the “Dismiss New” button on that page. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Okie dokie!
Thanks, Bob.

Been working on the integration with the chat engine, and I have an update that I want to roll out in the next few days. It should take care of some? most? of the login issues, and should also allow your avatar to show up in chat.

Rebuilding the site takes about 15 minutes, so Ill probably do this early Saturday morning.

1 Like

Bob,

Still having problems with seeing attached photos on many posts, check this:

The link is:

https://largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_6563/Buildings/IMG_0079.jpg

Further down I can see photos such as:

https://com-largescalecentral.s3.dualstack.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/optimized/2X/c/c8647b5b1fbaa93ef368f0fbe7839779bad09bf5_2_666x500.jpeg

Is the issue with “largescalecentral.com/FileSharing”, or permission differences between users, or ???
It seems some people can see them, and others can’t…

Thanks, found those and uploaded.

Like the way this worked out

1 Like