Large Scale Central

New Site Software (No longer a Sneak Peek)

Yea, it was a piece of the puzzle as to why some Freight Shed images were on the server, but not showing up.

And the old “Photo Albums” are another story entirely… ugh

Morning Bob. I have managed to repair all the links in the two threads mentions after our chat time last evening. There are a couple links by other folks that are broken and have PM’d them requesting them to fix the links. In the D&RGW 6000 Series Flat Car thread there are two links posted by Bart Salmons. I don’t know if it is possible, but could you look at possibly restoring those links or redirecting the links. They are post #34 and 39. BTW, I really like the post numbering here, very easy to read.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that as people edit their old threads to fix things they come up as new or unread.

This is NOT a bad thing as it recalls some really nice builds that have been buried in the dust for years!

1 Like

Yea, that is neat. It’s always been important to me to save as much of the the historical content on LSC as I could. There’s some really neat threads from the early days.

Bob, I have figured out how to repopulate my photos and am getting more comfortable with the new site. My question is are the Signature blocks for members going to reappear?. They usually show the members railroad name which is interesting.

Edit: I just found how to show Signature Blocks in Preferences then Profile.

at beginning to try to re-picturize my threads, i found something very disturbing.
not only are there empty picture frames, that wait for the URL to be changetd from http to https,
but there are posts, where the pics disapeared completely!
not even wit “inspection” are the URLs to be found.

how shall i be able to remember for thousands of posts, where which of hundreds of pics could have been?

tha begins to be really irritating.

(example thread: At last some time )

If you can tell me which post in there is missing pictures, I can dig up the data from the old forums and re-import it.

Korm, Not sure I understand your comments, but if I understand them correctly you are saying when you view the thread there are places where pics should be and there is not ‘box’ where the pic should be, just a little extra space between the text.

I had some like that, and some with a little bitty box that would not respond to any inquiry. I found if I just went and did the edit the post I was able to get to the picture links. Had several different faux paxs messing with the links but was able to fix them.

first post in that thread. the text lets me believe, that there was a pic. but no empty frame visible.
but re-importing will not be necessary.
in the meantime i tried to repair some threads, discovering, that the emty frames look like this in the edit: “( url )” but there are pics that have before the “( " some more signs. among them an” ! "
these of the second type don’t even give a hint in the post, that there could have been a pic.
so that would mean, that i and everybody else will have to edit each and every of my 2000 + posts by hand, to repair my threads.
partially repair.
because i can not edit the posts of others in my threads.

even if i’m out of the whole scripting stuff for nearly 20 years, i can not believe, that it should be impossible to order this software to accept “http” URLs as well.
that should “repair” thousands of missing pics instantly.

Bob Cope,
yes, we can… :rofl:
but tell me, how many posts have you already repaired?
i may have repaired about fifty. only 2000 plus to go.

Korm, exactly the issues I found. Added parenthesis, exclamation points, and pound symbols. I didn’t count the number of posts I fixed, but likely less than 100. I was just glad to be able to do it with out asking BD to do it, The links I can’t fix are those posted by others. I have reached out to them, time will tell. I do have a couple links by Bart that he will not be able to repair I have asked for BD’s help with. I don’t have as many but I feel your pain.

Myself I’ve repaired a couple hundred posts. Some of the links I cant fix, like some of Bart’s links to his old freight shed. I can eventually rebuild them in the older threads, but I’m concentrating on going from latest posts BACK in history.

I do get in kind of a rhythm in a thread when Im repairing them. But I have to find them first. :slight_smile:

Bob,

Would it be possible to bring the old site back up in a “read only” mode?
Then individuals could find the old versions of their posts, grab the missing info, and paste into the new site. Could save you a ton of work…

Not directly, but I am looking at importing the forum topics and posts into a temporary, searchable space so people besides me have access to the raw data.

i don’t like the idea to personally ask Steve Featherkyle, to fix his posts in the thread, i recently repaired.

Korm, if you read my my post (140?) I refer to that same issue with posts by Bart Salmons. I refer to asking BD to repair those two links. I am also not attempting to repair every thread I have ever posted on, only a few that have special interest to me and I have referenced to others now and again.

I am sure Bart, Steve and other Fallen Flags have posts in many of our threads and those holes will be remembered when those threads are mentioned/referenced.

1 Like

I totally agree, Bob C. Neat to see old threads and, in a way, sense the presence of friends who are no longer with us.

On a different note, when Jon Radder praised the new topic listing under our profiles, and how easy it was to see our past threads summarized, I had to look. And wow, I concur! Great new side benefit!

The thread activity list is both a blessing and a curse. I have been checking mine for bad photo links and this morning spent close to two hours fixing the two threads that document my latest indoor expansion. Over 100 posts in each thread and most of those had 4 or more pictures to fix. The fixes, so far, have been easy edits. Interesting that a few of the broken photos were stored in the Freight Shed and only required repair of the URL to get them to show. Unfortunately, I cant fix the replies that have photos.

I’m sorry to report that I have not been checking any old threads to see if they need fixing. I have fixed a couple that I was looking for - which had random pictures missing. The latest, my Duckbill coach roof thread, was missing a photo linked from the FS and uploaded a few weeks earlier. The current photos (uploaded to FS and linked when the thread was created,) were still there.

I think there is a clue there somewhere. Photos from history are turning up as blanks?

I have another (minor) issue. I’m getting tags/flags on my icon/avatar top right (I am on my laptop,) and there are yellow ones and green ones.

Unfortunately, see pic, when you click the icon/avatar it isn’t clear what is the green flag for, or the yellow one.

I mean - which line is the green tag (turns out to be the email from Cliff.) Which is the yellow tag for? And why is the “25 replies Summer Fall 2021 photo thread” in yellow?

From a discourse tutorial found on the internet (so it must be true!), but clearly with a different color scheme:

Notifications

When someone is talking directly to you — by replying to you, quoting your post, mentioning your @username , or even linking to your post, a blue number will immediately appear over your profile picture at the top right.

When you have been sent a Personal Message you will receive this in your Inbox and a green number will appear over your profile picture to the left.

Click your profile image to scroll through all your notifications.