Large Scale Central

Narrow Gauge ET&WNC style Coach Project

As discussed in http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=17234 I have just received the prototype for the ET&WNC Coach Kit from The Gal line. I will be building the prototype and providing feedback to Alan for any changes. This will also serve as instructions for building the kit as there are four other coaches to be built by the ones who have signed up. I will update this with pictures as I progress. First of all, Alan has recommended some basic tools and tips: www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/PassengerCars/CoachProject/GAL_GettingStarted.pdf So, what’s in the box? :smiley: A LOT of sheets and soon to be parts! Sheets run the full gamut of thicknesses: .5, 1, 2, and 3.1mm stock, all in black styrene. The parts really don’t show up that well in these pictures, but I wanted to show you what was in the box. I’ll have more detailed shots as I start working with the individual parts. Inside end walls, doors, steps:

Frame pieces and roof carlines:

Window pieces - both for the arched windows and the carlines:

Scribed outside sides and banner boards. The scribing is just gorgeous.

End walls and clerestory parts:

Inside sides:

Floor:

Roof skin parts:

As you can see, there IS a LOT here! I’m anxious to get started. Just a side note. There are a total of five cars being built by four different people. Obviously, I am one of those people. I paid the same price as everyone else in this project and get no special discount or consideration. My only “privilege” is to build the prototype model. If there are any design changes that I think need to be made I will communicate with Alan and he will make these in the production run. So, it’s NOT too late to sign up for a kit! :slight_smile:

I’m REALLY looking forward to this. Can’t wait to get mine!

I’m excited about mine too. Mine wont be a Broad Top car but a local car, but this car will be a closer start then starting from scratch.

O boy, o boy, o boy!!!

Want!!!

LONG time coming-look forward to seeing what y’all come up with in the end…

for what it’s worth I was up a week or so ago riding behind #12 just a day or 2 before they closed for the season.

Is this a complete car kit, or a modification kit for an AMS car like Alan’s previous offerings?

it’ll be interesting to see Bruce work on this kit… :slight_smile:

Its a complete kit, laser cut. The car is HUGE, much longer than the AMS cars. I have one coming after the first build works out the kinks. Looking forward to it!

Complete car. Minus the trucks.

We shall see how Bruce comes out with his build but I plan to modify mine. I’m not sure how I will go just yet, but I might even think about changing into my business car.

I’ll follow it too. I prefer wood kits, though.
Phil was working on a kit similar to this a long time ago, but it didn’t come to fruition.

Yep, this project has been through LOTS of people. The styrene is VERY neat to work with, and I’m liking it a lot. I finally got started. :o Sanding is MESSY! :frowning: I ended up wet sanding some of the smaller pieces in my utility sink. But, the pieces come out very nice. I decided to tackle the underframe first. My #18 blade hasn’t arrived yet, but I’ll sure be glad when it does. It’s very easy to snap those #11 while trying to cut out these pieces. They are only held in by a small bridge, but the plastic is quite thick. Here’s the parts we’re going to work with.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/PassengerCars/CoachProject/IMG_0017.JPG)

And the floor, of course.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/PassengerCars/CoachProject/IMG_0012.JPG)

The horizontal slots will hold the center sills. The vertical slots the partitions for the vestibule and restrooms. I’ve sanded both sides as well as the ends where they were tied into the sheets. First up is to laminate some parts together. Two of the smaller cross members get glued together, while 3 of the end beam pieces are laminated.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/PassengerCars/CoachProject/IMG_0022.JPG)

There are 3 cross members on each end of the car and these go under the center sills. Before I glue everything down, I first clamp the parts in place.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/PassengerCars/CoachProject/IMG_0030.JPG)

Then I bring out the BIG clamps. :smiley:

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/PassengerCars/CoachProject/IMG_0037.JPG)

I only apply glue to the clamped sections. I want to make sure that this holds. I am very pleasantly surprised by how well everything fits. I was afraid I would have to sand to get the tabs of the center sill to fit in the floor - but they fit just perfectly. It makes assembly very easy. Another pleasant surprise was the responsiveness of Alan. While looking at the truck mounting point, I determined that it should be right above the cross member. But, the slot on the center sill is not quite right…it needs to have another 10 mm towards the center of the car, and should not be that long. My solution was to cut a small square out of 1/4" acrylic as well as make the notch a bit longer.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/PassengerCars/CoachProject/IMG_0035.JPG)

For those getting the “production” run, Alan has already modified the drawing to change the cut of the center sill. He also design a piece to go across the center sill and will be including some binding screws with the kit to allow for easy attachment of the trucks. I used these screws to attach the trucks in my Fairlie project and they work very well. So, Alan and I are talking and he is making changes as necessary. It should make for a very nice kit!

Stupid question time - and this is directed at Alan if he is monitoring the thread: I’m sure there is a good reason why he didn’t completely cut each part from the sheet, but I haven’t been able to guess it. I wonder if this a limitation of his laser cutter? In my line of work we do CNC routing on a large vacuum table machine. It is so accurate that you can cut pieces from masked acrylic and the only thing holding the sheet together when you are done in the mask on the bottom.

Looking good so far Bruce.

I was actually drooling for a few seconds…No kidding.

Hey Bruce…What are you using for glue? I assume the good old Testors would work no?

Jon
Not a stupid question. I wish we could.
But:
1 - I sub the cutting out. After it is cut, it is packed and shipped to me. I inspect it and ship to the customer. A bit of handling involved.

2 - It is done on a machine that is using a framework of steel bars not a vacuum table. Parts cut free drop down into the machine. They would have to be retrieved and a check would have to be done that all were found. Some parts are very small. Some sheets that I have done have 50 - 60 or more parts on them.

3 – Small parts pack and ship better still attached to the sheet. They do not get lost or broken.

4 – most important I get a better quality cut.

Regards
Alan
[email protected]

Mark V said:
Hey Bruce...What are you using for glue? I assume the good old Testors would work no?
Yes, Alan recommends Testors. It is nice as it has a big brush for these BIG pieces and seems to hold just fine.

I also have some Tamiya thin cement that I use when I want to be a bit neater; so far I haven’t had to be very neat. :wink:

Wow, that puppy is huge :slight_smile:
Too big for my GRR. But, it would make a nice display piece :wink:
Ralph

PD

tac

Alan - I knew there was at least one good reason - Thanks! The stuff we are cutting is much, much larger and the vacuum table really helps.

Hey Bruce
Your pictures showing you clamping it all together first. Are you then disassembling and re-gluing, or are you using a thing cappilary action cement?