After a wait of just over 10 years (almost 11 now I’ve looked at the pics), It’s finally time to start a new layout.
Here’s a couple of pic of the old one just before we had to pull it down
The design / theme for the new one goes something like this, at the moment.
- A one track line that feels like it’s going somewhere.
- Steam/Early diesel era.
- 1:24 / 1:20 scale (actually cape gauge – 3’6”, but I have a bunch of 1:20 Bachmann locos)
- Motive power - Generally American outline, as I’ve mostly got Bachmann stuff, but whatever might have run or was imported to New Zealand at some stage.
- Freelance, but loosely based on Charming Creek Tramway, (link), but perhaps as a more successful operation. ie actually had some dollars to spend on second hand gear, and do basic track maintenance.
- Homebuilt locos are definitely on the cards – Charming Creek bought a Price 16 wheeler at 1 stage but it never ran.
- Haul coal & lumber as a reason for being, and also general freight & passengers.
- Grades 1% or less, in case I get the live steam bug.
I’ve got no real space restrictions, but my plot has been shifted a few times as the gardens & deck grew at our new place. I made a call to just move 20m or so from the house just to be clear of any further creep.
I had a friend fly a drone last winter, this is what it looks like from the air, crayon around my approved bit of dirt.
And from the ground.
That rise is man made – that’s the spoil dirt from the house build spread out over a natural drop in elevation. Plan is to make use of it to get the 1% grade, It’s about 500mm high.
(lots) More to come.