Large Scale Central

Casting rocks - An experiment

What if after your first coat you lay some rods (like the ones sold for marshmallow toasting) and add a couple more coats and maybe when dry and you remove the rods it leaves the impression your after ? Or run a Dremel / bit down the face to cut groves ? Just thinking out load …

I’m thinking something like that too Sean, it’d need to be a rack of some sort as you ‘normally’ see a line of them say 2’ - 3’ apart, mostly parallel.

But you only see what’s left after blasting, sometimes the rock behind is removed and they don’t exist anymore…

Perhaps a grinder line at the last stage, just hitting high points, then add a touch up coat??

See what you’ve started Devon!

I’m almost sorry. . . But not quite

Hi Neil,

Being the new kid here, and trying to not ask questions that have already been discussed, I find myself searching for answers in old threads, and yet somehow find myself on a totally mesmerised on completely unrelated thread.

Your rock casting project caught my eye and almost made me forget what I was searching for on LSC in the first place.

At the risk of bumping this post to the top of the list I’m quite interested to find out how the placement and blending your castings went, and where are you now with the project.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Short answer is not yet, except on that big panel further up in this thread. Still no track down and I’d like to get that sorted first.

Tks for linking Rooster, guess I need to do a progress update at some stage. More rebuilding than progress at the moment.

Cheers
N

It was suggested on another thread that a sculpted / contoured tunnel looks good, especially when you run a camera through on a train. I thought I’d try that using moulded concrete and see how it goes. I did a short length as a test a while back, but that was too low so I’m lifting it up a bit, and adding an entrance section with a closer fit.

I did some checks to make sure I had the clearances, the two tests were a K27 and a USA trains intermodal.

‘Frame’ to fix the mould to, and the mould in place.

I made up some cardboard shapes to roughly match the first section, and had at it. Standard face coat and fibre mix. I did have some problems with it pulling away from the frame so a strategically placed brick was called into play to hold things together.

Because the mould was narrower at the base than the top I needed to cast it two pieces, then join them up. Dusty work cutting so that went outside.

Last position and clearance checks before jointing.

And done. I’ve left this for 3 days to cure before moving since it’s structural, I’ll post the results soon.

Cheers
N

1 Like

Just remember if you run a circus train to keep the animals INSIDE the car !

Here is the cast turned upside down, plenty to tidy up…

I used the same approach as making the big panel - hit the exposed fibres with a gas torch to burn them off, then apply filler paste and blend it in.

I made the other end at the same time, 1 piece cast but I had to destroy the frame to get it out.

So there are two more 1’ sections to go to close it up. I really need a rainy day so I’m not tempted to go outside!

I just had to put them on the layout, here’s a shot with a couple of small panels just to see how it might eventually look.

Cheers
N

4 Likes

Neil,

that is coming out very cool. Added to the other cast rocks and you are developing a very cool scene. Its inspiring as for at least a small segment of my RR I would like to do rock panels like these.

Thanks Devon,

I sometimes wonder if it’s all worth it, but then little scenes like the one above tells me - yeah…

Cheers
N

1 Like

yeah, it’s worth it! - because you are doing something, you like to do.

little scenes - on the last two layouts i tried to divide the layout into sections - dioramas. seperated by tunnels, cañons or dense forests.
the advantage: a three or four yard section does not need too much time to finish; many different landscapes; one has some finished scenes for showing off to visitors, while still construckting.

It’s worth it. This is what makes the hobby fun

I can think of nothing better than living your build vicariously, except perhaps a Master Class at the end.

1 Like

I’m thinking along the same lines Korm - eating my elephant slowly, :wink:

Cheers
N

talking about eating elefants…

if you feel bored, you might take a look at: protocoling a mountain

the first fifty pics are about tunnels.

Thanks Korm, nice to know I’m trying to reinvent your wheel 10 years on… :laughing:

Working my way through your oddesy in small chunks - I felt your pain with this great liine.

Cheers
N

An update, if you can call it that. I can report that due to the great New Zealand latex famine of 2023 (and now into 2024) no progress has been made.

Here it sits… Waiting patiently…

Since I’m planning to have half a dozen or so tunnels on the layout, I thought it would be good to take a cast of each portal (left curve and right curve), plus a straight section so I can turn them out as I need them now the hard bit has been done.

Try to find moulding latex locally since October 2023 – impossible. My go to shop is out of stock, and the Sorry notice up for months. I’ve checked everyone else locally, even looked at the cost of a gallon from the States (over $400 landed) and apart from paying $40 for a cup of theatre make up - nada, none.

Today I bit the bullet and ordered 3 small kits of Smooth-On 40, mainly because they now showed less than 10 in stock. Ouch. Hopefully I’ve got a chance of closing in the tunnel before winter. That’s the plan anyway.

Cheers
N

3 Likes

I have really enjoyed your progress. To bad about the material drought. Hope you can get back at it.

1 Like

Thanks Devon, supplies arrived yesterday, hope to make a start on it soon.

Cheers
N

1 Like