Large Scale Central

Flaxton Creek Railway Build Log

This particular screen shot of the video troubles me a bit as I’m not sure where the coach is headed but I figure you got that all factored into the overall evil plan!

It’s missing the brick …

Uhhh, plan? I knew there was something missing! I’ve just been following the visions. :frowning:

But, as others have said in the past, if you read the whole thread from the beginning… :grin:

Not revealed yet 'cause formal planning approval hasn’t been achieved. I got a ‘thats nice dear’ as I pointed and loosely waved my arms around a month or so back. So - proceeding, with caution.

Cheers
N

That was my ‘is it really flat’ test. So far so good.

Cheers
N

This is exactly why you need to model Amtrak as it’s appealing to all!

Happy new year everyone.

Some slow progress on the tunnel. Korm, I really liked your idea that the inside of the tunnel should be closed so it looked properly black, so this next bit is mostly your fault! :grin:

Since latex moulds are (apparently) very unhappy out in the sun, I made up a short section of track on the workbench so I can work inside.

I got the dims of a USA intermodal so I could build a mock up of that too (thanks Andrew), and managed to fix some of the K27 clearances by adding the roof curve.

Lots of trials at both ends of the tunnel finally gave me the loading gauge – for this tunnel anyway.

Followed by a cardboard portal. I managed to get the slight oval shape I wanted in there. :grin:

That did force the cast to be in two pieces since the top is wider than the base, for the first one anyway. I’ll have to come up with a cunning plan to get around this hassle for any others I make - it added quite a bit of extra work - hope it’s worth it…

I’ll put the casting bits over in the Concrete Casting thread so that stuff is all in one place.

Cheers
N

Edit: link to the other thread added.

1 Like

maybe using thick styropor and “cutting” the irregularities with an oldfashioned big soldering iron?

or use wood (veneer)?

2 Likes

That looks great Korm. I’ll have a look and see what I can lay my hands on.

I really like how you’ve ballasted the track, very realistic.

Cheers
Neil

He’s 2 years ahead of ya’ Neil …the bottom photo says 4/09/26 !!

nope

it says 26th of september in 2014 - eastern asian style (that’s where the camera came from)

so, back from the future! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

thanks.
it is just filtersand for poolfilters, drymixed with black toner for concrete.

Time for an end of summer update. Yes, Autumn (Spring) starts in 2 days!

I’ve just started construction on the upper return loop. First order of the day was to get the shipping container cleaned up and moved. This will be a shared train / She shed one day.

It had to happen first as the Hiab parked right where the track needed to run.

Half an inch to left, if you can… :wink:

I tried painting out the line of the track but gave up after a while, went back to my tried and true electrical conduit to get smooth lines. Tightest dia is 12’ at the end of the loop.

20240225_092509

I got these concreted in today, pleasantly surprised to find gravel only 16 – 18” down in all the holes. 10 more posts needed to get this bit done – hopefully next weekend.

Cheers
N

1 Like

Nice job on the foundation for the container. Getting those pins to all line up with the container must have taken a lot of planning and measuring!

Thanks Jon,

Ha ha, measured probably 20 times before the pour. Had a grinder on hand just in case.

Cheers
N

I have to say I am impressed with your square holes for your square posts. I am not sure I have ever seen anyone do that. But for sure it makes sure there is equal concrete all around the post. Should make it that much stronger.

Is the container/ conex box bolted to the pads , or just resting on them with the pins just keeping it from sliding

Now you’ve made me stop and think. I’m not sure I’ve ever hand dug a round hole. The holes for the round poles are square too.

And I have no idea why… :thinking:

Cheers
N

It’s just resting there Pete, the brackets are for location and some sliding resistance only.

Cheers
N

Well to be fair I think it has a lot to do with tool of choice. I guess I personally have always used a post hole digger and most people that I have seen have also and they just naturally make a rounded hole. Both augers and the clam shell type.

It certainly isn’t wrong or incorrect I don’t think. Just caught my attention.

You have more patience than me.
For my foundations, I just dug a hole and put in a wooden square form.
Back filled and poured the concrete.