Large Scale Central

What one does when not modeling

Korm, I thought I would miss driving after 48 years , but really it has been a blessing, stress level is way down .

1 Like

I wrote and self-published a series of dark fantasy novels.

2 Likes

and where can one find them?

fantasy… well, that explains the mixed population on your layout :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Since you asked…

‘Empire’ is set in a tottering nation on another world that just barely bested a demon ruled rival. Two years later, wealthy young commoner Tia goes hunting for a highborn husband. She is accompanied by Rebecca. her maid and minstrel, her bodyguard Sir Peter Cortez, a bitter man weary of bloodshed, and her oafish carriage driver Kyle, a veteran with a knack for magic. Together and apart, they confront past traumas while trying to make new lives in a changing world. Along the way, they encounter aristocrats, wizards, slaves, knights, priests, and monsters. But the demons are still out there…

I spent most of ten years writing this series. Along with the trains, it passed the time during the long, cold, dark winters.

Worth bringing up - the tech level in these books is uneven, ranging from savages with swords to enclaves with early 19th century level technology. Railroads are barely more than a dream.

That said: Amazon.com: Empire: The Complete Collection eBook : Goff, Tim: Kindle Store

Wow! A lot of amazing interests and stories on this thread. I will try to reply to some of them later. For now, my own reply:

I am a professional baker, as some of you are aware. I am also a huge nerd. When we are not planning our wedding, The Fiancee and I work together on some Marvel Cinematic Universe projects we’ve started (timelines, family trees, etc). I have also done projects relating to the Wizarding World (Harry Potter), and recently put together a complete chronology of all the Star Trek titles. There are a few other things, but nothing big. If anyone is interested in any of these fandoms, I created a page of my website recently with some of my projects. → Other Interests - LEEDS HILL RAILROAD

Oh! I nearly forgot. I, too, have written a book. But, I’ve yet to get it published. It’s a reference guide to the TV series Avatar: the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra (plus their related titles). So, I’m trying to find a publisher who can work out the legal details since I’m working off someone else’s IP. (I really don’t want to get into a fight with Paramount.) There’s a section in the link above for this, too. I am hoping to even upload a sample of the book soon!

1 Like

Insulation board is useful for more than HO scale terrain. I call this really large scale modeling. Off to the hardcoater tomorrow, then into paint.

Re: post above me, I’ve worked on some of those franchises. In a major blow to my nerd cred, I turned down a klaxon from the Enterprise after we wrapped Picard (it was like 8’ long and you have to be really militant about not piling up stuff)

3 Likes
  1. This faux brickwork looks AMAZING! I know a woman who created Knockturn Alley (Harry Potter) in her basement/garage. She would love this.

2. You worked on Picard? I haven’t seen it yet, but my fiancee was a copy editor for Static Media and she got screeners for the show. She loves it.

Tim, This sounds wonderful! If only I could get myself to read the books I’ve already bought…

i shouldn’t have.
now i have to clear my creditcard for international use…

1 Like

we called similar things we made for our theatre-group “scenery”
but that was in the '80ies.

i strongly disagree. if one doesn’t pile up “stuff”, all the dust is on the furniture.

1 Like

Property is all about “stuff” and real estate is expensive in Southern California. Constant struggle of “is it worth paying to store this on the off chance I’ll rent it again”.
In the case of Trek, IP heavy stuff is a no go cause we can’t use it again.

I’ve done theatrical work. I do my integrity job for a theater in west LA. Built a full scale swamp with water. Almost killed me and we made no money but hey, we got artistic 'tegridy.

Bricks are going to hard coater today. They have an epoxy spray that is similar to rhinocoat. You’ll be able to stand on these once its done. Then paint and off to the set!

1 Like

if you are interested in a rough “stone-surface”, you can get it easily by waving a hot welding iron over the surface of the foam.

1 Like

That looks great. I’d lose my mind doing 200 square feet though.

My cheater method for aging stone like this is tumbling it in burlap sacks with some real bricks. Direction on this is a smoother, more machined look though. Most of the time I’m neck down on these projects. They tell me what they want.

Professional realizer of other peoples dreams.

1 Like

Yep, me too however I’m wondering how much that job pays?

I do alright. Enough to fund my railroad empire.

sometimes being a tradesman on a Gucci set is a little surreal. I have to try to take the most absurdly dressed people seriously. It’s a struggle. And the movie Zoolander is a documentary not a comedy.

But my colleagues are usually some of the best people on earth.

Union bruisers with a sense of whimsy.

What is used to hardcoat?

Very impressive!! That is amazing!!!

It’s similar to lineX. The company I use invented it and is very secretive about what it is but I’ve seen it done. It’s a A/B epoxy that is applied with what looks like a fire hose. Takes about 30 seconds and it’s strong enough to stand on once it’s cured. It’s about 1/16” thick so some diffusion can occur, but I design for that and use to my advantage at times. Very reliable and efficient. Downside, very pricey. But you get east you pay for.

They also have a massive CNC machine. Cheat mode for scenery. Derofoam.com

This is pre paint.

Thank you!!! …

My wife and I have been collecting scales for the last few years. It started when I acquired an honest to goodness handheld handmade antique miner’s gold scale maybe 3 years ago; and things sort of ramped up.

Last year, Linda bought a big ass potato scale, which needed a home. So… after rearranging the living room, more scale purchases, and me finally putting up shelves last weekend, the collection is (says Herself) officially complete.

[edit]We’ll see.
I’ll just point out that no matter what antique store you go to, there’s always a scale… and it will often be of some wacky design you’ve never imagined.

1 Like