Large Scale Central

What one does when not modeling

I am a scout leader. I have been a leader over thirty years.

![20220628_174758|375x500]

(upload://529WHlGnpYzCT45TG9AeD4rE1Cp.jpeg)

2 Likes

:flushed:
Scary…too much kiddies for me. Glad you can do it.
I think I can climb that wall…no…I’m lying, I can’t do it.

Bruce G

I have two dogs that keep me busy a couple hours a day, every day, in walks, dog park, and play. I may have to rename the railroad the “Urine Burn and What’s That Smell Wasa Garden Railroad”.

Other than that, I’m into high end audio and designing accoutrements to improve vintage JBL and ESS Heil equipment. These are either cut on a laser table or built up with 3D printing.

1 Like

The ferrier comes ever 8 to 10 weeks

2 Likes

Did you really need to scare the children with that last picture?

I hike to historic remote mine sites:

Cheers,
Matt

2 Likes

I just picked up these two model kits, both are lifetime bucket list kits I have lusted over for literally decades. The super hard to find Imai kit has been out of production since the 80s, and the equally hard to find Enterprise kit is a brand new second issue from Fantastic Plastic, the last issue was …oh at least 10-15 years ago. So had the dive in once reissued.201341-a49a7763a305a60597d654b01aaa0a69
images (19)
Both have been on my bucket list.(eventual) retirement projects for years. Now all I need is the Black Hole Cygnus, supposed to be reissued next year, and the Albatross from Master of the World (no luck there, it’s a scratch built or nothing) and I’ll be a truly happy camper

1 Like

Vic, in case you haven’t seen 'em…

4 Likes

I used to do this a lot. Love the exploring old logging camps in the woods of California, Nevada, Oregon and Colorado. Been to so many places it makes my head spin.
One place in Colorado my parents and I found a small town near some mines that locals who lived there for over 50 years were stunned that they did not know of this place. My parents dug up some old handblown bottles from the 1800’s and followed an old telegraph line up to 12,000 feet up.
I of course, am a railroad fan so wasn’t so interested in that but followed an old narrow gauge line that was a much lower elevation. Sadly that was in the 1960’s and I am too old to go climbing peaks that high anymore and my parents have passed.
Memories…

1 Like

Vic, Ive been wondering if you have separate rooms for all your modelling interests or whether you are going to need a Pizza Layout backstory… hmmm. Could there be room for another Vic-build?

:rocket: Welcome to Vic’s Intermodal Transport Hub! ® :earth_africa::ship::bullettrain_side:

Come for the Pizza. Leave for the Stars

At Vic’s Intermodal Transport Hub®, your interstellar adventure begins right here on Earth! Sail aboard our one of our grand Catalan ships, dock at our futuristic seaport, and jump on our low-speed trains straight to the launchpad. Next stop? The cosmos!

Why Choose Vic’s?

:sparkles: Seamless Transfers: From sea to space in no time!

:sparkles: Cosmic Convenience: Forget the stress – we handle the transitions so you can stay focused on the Pizza.

:sparkles: Economy of Scale: From 1:22.5 to 1:350. Vic’s have been providing the best in forced perspective since est. 2006.

:sparkles: Epic Views: Enjoy scenic journeys across land and sea before you leave the planet!

Don’t leave the motion sickness behind. Transcend.

Book your cosmic cruise today and let Vic’s Intermodal Transport Hub® be your gateway! :rocket:

Brought to you by ShipOps2024 & SpaceOps2024 (*not affiliated with ShedOps2024)

I spend a lot of time making things for people to take thousands of pictures of and then play them back at high speed, creating an illusion of motion. When synched with sound it can be quite immersive.
Downside, it’s an all encompassing field leaving very little time for other things, especially when running a small business.

Upside, I have many wonderful tools for modeling at my disposal and a solid complementary skill set. I also can occasionally buy things to put in sets that will live on my layout.

1 Like

Looks like you have a plumber working on site too!

We live very glamorous and exciting lives in property department.
We had to get the table perfectly level for this. Thats whats going on there. Shim!
If you notice the stage is on rollers. That robot arm in front has to be programmed so it can make moves while the set changes. The desk had to be in the same position each time so it would appear constant against a shifting background. We built 4 sets at the same dimensions but dressed differently.

At least Im in good company. There was this Walt fella, had some luck in entertainment with a cartoon rodent. He and his buddies liked large scale trains.

Surprised you didn’t mention that stop action great and his dog Grommit!!!. And that https://youtu.be/jrmZIgVoQw4?feature=shared

A classic!

Gomez Adams has a good layout, Young Sheldon has a good one too.
I was working on the WB lot after YS had finished and they had railroad dressing still up.

There’s a prop house here in LA where the founder had an amazing Lionel layout. It’s mostly packed up now but glimpses can be seen if you know who to ask.
Full disclosure, if you’ve seen a large scale train in a commercial in the last few years there’s a non zero chance I was behind it.

2 Likes

When I’m not trying to prevent 3 young male human species from killing each other and teaching them how to survive on their own in 8+ years, my time is spent earning money to keep them feed, clothed and sheltered.

In all seriousness, I have a wonderful wife of 15 years, 3 lovely boys, and an awesome community of friends. Between church activities and teaching high school history my life is usually pretty busy during the school year. Ironically because of the busy schedule I actually schedule in modeling time. During the 8 weeks of summer are usually spent off taking various adventures with the boys.

2 Likes

Farm
Full time :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Those ceiling medallions are beautiful, Rooster!

2 Likes

Thank you Ray !

Hope you are doing well!

farming…
either too much rain, or not enough rain - and both at the wrong time; mashinery breaks down just at the worst moment, spare parts take weeks to get…

the second greatest pleasure of my life was to sell my ranch/farm after more than 20 years of hard work.

(the greatest was to convert bushland into a working farm and ranch)

4 Likes