Large Scale Central

USA #6 Electric Switches

Sorry Joe, bashing not political. Well in a few minutes i will replace the existing switch with my testbed, run a trio of SD45’s under load and see how it holds up. If all goes well, I will rebuild the other three and get my wye back in working order.

Hans, how strong is the throw on that?

Well Hans , if you are referring to this leopard , yes it can . Perhaps you should make a little more effort to do the same .

Again , sorry to all those who do not like this arguing , but please , I have no wish to spoil your fun .

If you feel very strongly , ask Bob to kick me off , I would be disappointed but I am not so in love with myself as to think I’d be missed . Over to you .

Mike

The most memorable people in life will be the friends who liked you when you weren’t very likeable .

John M. said:

Hans, how strong is the throw on that?

It’s a motor drive with lots of umph.

Copy that, that might be an option if I decide I’m not happy with my test bed.

Just plain ordinary choke cables, anyone ? We have been using them here in Eastern Canada, for many years…out of doors, in temperatures that vary, from -30C, to +30C. Humidity is not a problem, moisture is not a problem, as long as they are kept well lubricated with a light automotive engine oil. As far as power in the track…we have advanced with technology, to modern batteries and R/C, learning years ago that the weak link in model railroading was, and will always be the wheel to rail contact, that should be avoided whenever possible.

BUT…continuing to use track power, is an option that some seem to convince themselves is still best for their needs…and AS LONG AS THEY ARE HAPPY, and having fun, who can find fault with that…NOT ME.

Thank god no one asked for your opinion.

John M. said:

Thank God no one asked for your opinion.

Amen to that brother!

Holy cow, why are so many people so crabby today? OK, just a rhetorical question, no answer required!

BTW found this on the obit pages of today’s paper:

“Everyone brings joy to a room, some by entering, others by exiting”

Bugger off then .

Mike

What a wonderful bunch of people…doing what they do best…thank you all

Must be the sunspots.

Steve ,

Don’t you start , you’re a troublemaker .

On second thoughts , do start . Tee hee .

Mike

Padre,

Have a Bheer and relax.

Three years ago I decided that some are best ignored. They hate being ignored and ignoring them takes little to no effort. Naturally I have my very own description for the process, but it wouldn’t pass the LSC PC test.

Steve Featherkile said:

Must be the sunspots.

Could be, could be, but I doubt it.

And it came to pass that the gathering were smitten with woe .

They could not laugh, even at themselves .

And just to complete the picture , my “bugger off then” comment was a straight steal from a book , tv programmes and so on .

The very funny scene depicts (usually) a pompous senior who delighted in giving homilies to his staff at daily meetings , which pissed them off mightily , until came the great day when he made the quote about people entering or leaving a room and got the response that I quoted . The scene continues with everyone denying that they said it , and in one classic convince the pompous ass he must be going barmy because he was hearing things .

So I naturally thought that Hans , being well read , had put the quote up to elicit the classic reply .

And note , had I said that to the likes of tac , Steve , Joe and others blessed with a sense of humour

they would have responded with a similar insult .

Humour ? Some of you would not see it if it was stamped on your eyeballs .

Mike

Mike:

There are often cultural differences among peoples and humor is definitely one of them. I had a British roommate and have worked with many Brits over the years and I can attest to some of those differences. Trying not to dredge up any stereotypes, but overall quite a bunch of almost constantly humorous folk.

There were many times that I just didn’t understand the “joke” and would ask for a bit of explanation. I know, if you have to explain a joke then it has lost its impact.

One of my pleasures is watching British (UK) humor: Monty Python - obviously, QI (Quite Interesting), Dara O’ Briain, Billy Connolly, Tim Minchin (a sort of latter day Tom Lehrer) etc.

The internet has become the often go to place to help me “translate” some of the words and phrases. Sites such as the Peevish Dictionary of Slang has really helped with my enjoyment.

Anyway, I get (most of) the humor and I think others are a bit the poorer for taking immediate offense (That is unless some level of offense was intended) (https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/gtalk.347)

One of my favorites from Winston Churchill:

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I’d poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I’d drink it.”

Mark,

Have you read the one about the four tribes inhabiting the British Isles?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/humour/blhumeng.htm

#6 from the top.

Now a lot of those are funny , and do indeed show the predeliction of The British to get laughs with quite pointed insults at each other .

More to the point , we also have no problems with other countries having a laugh at our expense .

I was fortunate enough when in the Armed Forces and latterly working with the Armed Forces to suffer the humour of many of the Non British Forces because we could laugh at ourselves (there’s a lot to laugh about) and this takes others out of their shells (if needed) and then join in the fun .

In one classic that I will never forget , we sat in Bandit country (Malaya) watching a film outdoors in the evening and found a note next day on the wire security fence from the local terrorist leader . It read

"Thank you for a very fine film ".

That , my friends , is humour at its best .

Mike

Just an afterthought , my late wife defused a sticky situation once overseas .

We had been stopped by irregulars of one side of a civil war when out driving with my twin daughters (age2)

It was a bit tense , particularly as these “warriors” took their war seriously and we were on our way to the beach .

Anyway , one of these “Warriors” casually pointed his gun at the babies , and before I could react , my wife snatched the gun out of his hands and shouted at him

“Don’t you DARE point a gun at my babies”

At this , the lead “Warrior” laughed and said to me “Some soldier he” and then they all started laughing .

I nearly wet myself , and it was not through laughing .

Mike