Large Scale Central

USA #6 Electric Switches

Never get between a mama grizzly and her cubs.

HJ -

Thanks, lots of new ones to me.

Mark

Mark, my pleasure.

#6 down was prominently displayed in a production office at a mfg where everyone but the lone German was from the British isles.

This was long ago when PC referred to a MAC II or a TRS-80.

Ah yes, the “TRaSh-80”. I supported a payroll system on it that paid 12 employees since that was all that would fit in memory. Memories!

Well we’d better stop or somebody here will complain about topic drift.

We are past page 2, so drift is expected. I learned assembly language programming on a TRS80 model 4. Gee, my current cell phone can do more then that computer could do.

swapped out the first of three, all the wires under this one were cooked!

If you have any of the Aristo MOVs (the square orange component) you can wire one in line to the frog power… they are the 2 wire component that aristo put in their switches and locos.

You can get them cheap mail order… then if you have a derailment involving a short to the frog, they will limit current…

Greg

David Maynard said:

We are past page 2, so drift is expected. I learned assembly language programming on a TRS80 model 4. Gee, my current cell phone can do more then that computer could do.

Your cell phone is much more powerful, by several orders of magnitude, than all the computers on Apollo 11.

Greg, don’t have those

They are cheap and have many uses, read the bottom of this page: http://elmassian.com/trains/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips

Greg

all three swtiches have been rewired and put back in service. adding the 1203 supplimental switch does put quite a drag on the lgb 1201 machine. not quite the snap of a 1201 without it. i didnt realize lgb sold a booster just for that issue. anyone else experince that same issue?

hans, maybe that other machine may be the ultimate option.

John M. said:
all three swtiches have been rewired and put back in service. adding the 1203 supplimental switch does put quite a drag on the lgb 1201 machine. not quite the snap of a 1201 without it. i didnt realize lgb sold a booster just for that issue. anyone else experince that same issue? hans, maybe that other machine may be the ultimate option.

I use capacitors on the half wave to kick up the initial “hit” voltage. On typical 16 volt half wave, this raises the initial hit to 22 volts and gives the turnouts a nice snap. But the capacitor values are small so they quickly bleed down if a toggle is left triggered. I believe that the LGB booster does similar.

You can see how I did it in the prior Garden Railways Magazine article that describes how I built my control panel. BTW, Kalmbach made a typo in the article that lists these capacitors as 5 volts. That should be 35 volts. :wink: