Large Scale Central

The rebuild has begin

Another run on TufBoard at HD. Now they’ll restock and no one will buy it…

Looks good Bob. That’s a lot of track!

looks a bit like a monorail…:wink:

Bob,

Is that the addition on the house showing in the one picture?

Ric: Yep, thats the new-ish addition. I just finished the walk and the walls that you see. Working on replacing the siding on the whole house, too, to match that green-brown of the addition.

My workshop is the bottom of the addition.

That is some effort, Bob!

Couldn’t help noticing the rocks in your yard. Got home from work today and managed to fit in the groundwork for two pieces of 14’ diameter track before dinner. You will be pleased to hear there was not a rock in sight, just sand, and no plant roots I couldn’t break with my fingers!

Wish I could have managed 1:40 in my yard, which is what your 15" over 50’ translates to if my arithmetic is correct. That’s just over one-and-a-half degrees, pretty good. I had hoped to do a tunnel, but couldn’t do much better than twice your gradient in the space I have available if a 2-stack container car was to fit through. So, I’ve gone back to a level design until the gleam of inspiration strikes, or I can afford more track to branch off to another part of the property.

All of this part of Massachusetts, hell, the northeast, is all glacial till. Any loam on the ground was brought there by truck. If I dig a hole in my yard, I find:

Rocks from golfball sized to basketball sized
Sand/clay mix

and not much else. Eventually, Ill find bedrock. I have part of mother earth sticking out between my 2 sheds. Digging a fence post is an adventure in “how much of the bottom do I need to cut off?”

We have rocks but mostly sand. Wanna trade? Of couse shipping would kill us!

Bob McCown said:
Meandering mainline

Looks like your Chief Engineer had a bit too much Holy Water. Hasn’t he heard of a tangent?

Steve,

Tangents are for boring lines. Once the dirt is piled up it will be a perfectly logical arrangement.

I have to agree, something special as a train “snakes” around curves, the motion of the cars is just plain more fun!

Regards, Greg

Keep on going, Bob. This is much better than the pi$$ing contests going on elsewhere…:confused:

Got a lot of the spline painted today… Going to try and finish up tomorrow, then I can start getting track down on it!

That’s when it starts getting exciting…the concept that trains will be running shortly…:slight_smile:

Opinions wanted. In this photo:

On the left side, going away from the camera, you can see where the old bridge is, with the spline above it. This is a grade downhill here about 3 percent. Now, Im trying to decide wether I want to rebuild the bridge here (it’d be a low one, about a foot off the ground) or just fill it in. I’m leaning toward fill myself, as he bridge wouldnt be that high.

I agree with you filling it in Bob. Especially since there is a big pile of dirt and rocks sitting right there!

-Brian

Bob, you’re not getting off so easy with me…:smiley: I’m for the fill…to a point but I also see a really nice, large culvert about mid way along the straight section.

Never miss an opportunity for a bridge…or even a short trestle. Lots of possibilities there! Trust me, you’ll get better pictures if you don’t fill.

Decisions decisions…

I’d go with a bit of fill and a short bridge over a dry creek bed. You can dig it up and make a water feature later. :smiley:

I’m changing my vote (well halfway). I really like Warren’s idea of a stone culvert in that spot.

-Brian