Large Scale Central

The Evil Twins

So Rooster made the statement -

“Ric has box cab issues and I’m upset he didn’t ask for my help !”

So he opened his mouth and we started having conversations. I’ve got shelves of builds and first attempts and parts. So after a phone call, a box is on its way to Rooster. As he has stated, there are no rules with box cabs.

I’ve got to admit all this stuff is really interesting. I guess I do have a problem with critters and Box Cabs.

“I’ve got to admit all this stuff is really interesting. I guess I do have a problem with critters and Box Cabs.” said Ric.

They say admitting the problem is the first…

But now everybody knows and still the collection grows!

Ric - You need to teach me the secret of getting friends to build stuff for you. I have way more ideas then time!

Rooster did build me a Cigar Store once. I’ve yet to detail the interior or finish the roof. It’s only been about 10 years.

It is a true sickness Ric! got that bug from you in my g scale days, now I’m more focused in On30, yet it still continues to grow lol

Jon Radder said:

"Ric - You need to teach me the secret of getting friends to build stuff for you. I have way more ideas then time!

Rooster did build me a Cigar Store once. I’ve yet to detail the interior or finish the roof. It’s only been about 10 years."

Jon??? I think you answered your own question - “Ozark Larry” of the Herget Lumber Company was built by the creator of Ozark Minitures, Larry Herget, and then named after him. It has been all over the North American Continent on layouts. Its even been used in an International advertising campaign.

Sooooo!

“Rooster’s Cigar Store, smells like a barn yard every time you light up. Nobody ever forgets that aroma” - that actually sounds kinda catchy.

Jon Radder said:

Ric - You need to teach me the secret of getting friends to build stuff for you.

\

Ric did prefer a build log so we shall start here considering he already blew his nut with this thread !

This is gonna be fun!

Rooster said - “Ric did prefer a build log so we shall start here considering he already blew his nut with this thread !”

Whatever works easiest for you.

NO RULES !

Ric,

Was up till 1:30 am last night and awake since 6:30 am doing boxcab research (looking at pictures and pop-up books). I’ve got all your stuff out and semi gutted, polluting half of my dining room table while drinking way too much coffee doing laundry and domestics. I have come to the conclusion that in order to meet your goals I would really like another 3000 series Lake George and Boulder coach. M9a is just to short to work with for the purpose and look you are after.

The other solution would be to completely scratch up two new bodies to go over the motor blocks but then that would defeat the purpose of saying “guess what these were”. I would like to put in a request with the Treasury Department (Aunt Jan) for a transfer of funds towards this coach for my own health. Two pots of strong coffee and 1/2 pack of cigarettes while looking at boxcabs in 5 hours is not good for ones health. I will let you do the begging for me and please post pictures or video of the begging process.

https://treasurydirect.gov/forms/sec1010.pdf

I really kinda like the idea of the units made from LGB starter sets and powered tenders. Just my thoughts, I’ll yield to a more caffeinated mind. I do think that basic length of the starter coaches sounds about the right size. I also like the ribbed roof of those LGB coaches under the roof structure, it gives a beefy base look, even if there is a roof walk or other platforms for radiators, cooling and brake piping.

The other solution would be to completely scratch up two new bodies to go over the motor blocks

This tram/boxcab is a pair of LGB cabs back-to-back. The power truck is a Piko (copy of the LGB 040 truck?)

Great, now y’all have me thinking that I can make my own box-cab loco.

Bill Sakalaucks said:

Welcome to the madness, it just takes a spark of an idea…

… my that’s a tasty worm …

hooked.

The important stuff: you will get a lot of helpful advice and solutions when problems arise, stop thinking you can’t.

Do it!

Have fun.

John Caughey said:

Bill Sakalaucks said:

Welcome to the madness, it just takes a spark of an idea…

… my that’s a tasty worm …

hooked.

The important stuff: you will get a lot of helpful advice and solutions when problems arise, stop thinking you can’t.

Do it!

Have fun.

Amen !

Ok,

So here we go Ric and remember if it happens outside of work “We don’t owe an explanation”!

From the LSC gallery tonight!

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Pete Thornton said:

The other solution would be to completely scratch up two new bodies to go over the motor blocks

This tram/boxcab is a pair of LGB cabs back-to-back. The power truck is a Piko (copy of the LGB 040 truck?)

No HEP cabling or ditch lites?

No HEP cabling or ditch lites?

Had you watched the video, you would notice it chuffs - it’s a steam engine. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I did watch the video “twice” as suggested but I really didn’t see a smoke stack …however now I see it! Not sure how a steam engine works making noise but no steam and figured the bell and horn were operated electronically since I didn’t see a cord for them either. Which brings me to no HEP cabling or ditch lites theory.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Not sure how a steam engine works making noise but no steam

We are all clear this is a model of a steam engine, with a Piko 0-4-0 motor block underneath? I’m not a fan of smoke generators as they don’t look very realistic.

But there were many occasions when you couldn’t see the steam - especially in Florida where it is hot an humid. Take a look at this “modern” Disney loco. Lots of chuffing but very little steam or smoke.

https://youtu.be/xELDFH2M30g