Large Scale Central

Sutro Tunnel Model

Yeah, ya got me Bob!

:laughing:

If any of you who have posted here would like a PDF of the Sutro model presentation I gave to the Dayton and Carson folks, please pm me in the next week or two and I’ll send you a Dropbox link.

Congrats on getting that finished and installed. It’s a truly magnificent, professional quality display! I hope I will get to see it in person someday.

Thanks so much Ray, that means a lot.

A little bit of follow-up. The skirt was installed last week, and I think the area between the legs were enclosed to keep rodents from gnawing at the wiring. No pics yet on those.

Main thing during the week was the Sutro folks hosting their first school trip, and I was told the kids really liked it – especially pressing buttons and making things light up.

Cliff

5 Likes

This just in from the director of the Sutro operation, Chris Pattison, referring to the same event. He said that this was a big group of kindergarten kids, and that they loved it.

It had never crossed my mind that kids this young (read: eyeballs that close to the floor) would be interested in and near to the model!

So I think we’re about to be scrambling to find a lightweight portable set of platform blocks so the kids can step up and see things better. Fortunately there are cabinetry folks out there who can knock out something quickly.

Cheers,
Cliff

Glad the display is such a hit with the younger set

Told you already I tested and approved it !

Here’s a new pic of the skirt, made by Pam (who used to be a professional drape maker), here making final adjustments.

Not seeing this pic…

Thanks Hollywood, here it is:

Nice looking skirt (around the table guys)
I admit that when you gave us the tour and talked about the skirt I for one honestly pictured it actually being hung underneath and set in about a foot, which to me would be more aesthetically inviting for it’s duel purpose of covering the underneath while inviting ALL to feel able to get close to the panels. JMHO YMMV :sunglasses:

Technically you shouldn’t call it a skirt considering where it is. You should call it a Portiere and I think it’s entirely to plain myself. That “skirt” is screaming for scallops with gold fringes at the bottom!

1 Like

It worries me how Rooster knows this.

Do you really want me to convey that to Pam?
:grin:

Who the hell is Pam ?

Lou…
I remember when Ric and Andy posted (back in the day) they were flying out to Marty Cozads for a run.

I told Ric : “Don’t forget there is always the possibility Andy (dad) could be wearing a speedo with fishnets under them coveralls!”

Pam Abercrombie made the skirt. She’s also a Comstock historian, major Sutro honcho, my main point of contact, and all around good person.

:smiley:

Well Pam does excellent work Cliff!!

I was just saying/voicing my opinion on the LSC forum. However IMO the skirt needs inset as Hollywood stated already an is screaming for “scallops with gold fringes” !

I can’t disagree with you and Hollywood, on the inset thing. However, there would need to be a short upper skirt to hide the gap to the table and the table’s edge.

This would be in addition to the lower / inset skirt, and would require a new fastening surface around its upper edge.

Keep in mind we were planning all this from opposite sides of the country, with the table itself being an unknown.

Still, great thoughts; and next time I’ll be sure to include you for fringe discussions!

:grin: