Large Scale Central

Startin' Over........Again

Very nice Bart. Easy to make progress when there’s no work to get in the way. Been there, done that.

What do you think the radius is of the Wye / how many cars can you get in a leg?

Jon

6ft nominal…the East leg is a bit tighter than the West leg and its mainly for accessing the yard from either division and turning trains in a pinch, so I don’t have to worry about storing cars…and the Whole of Pearce Yard is the tail, so I can turn darn near anything I’d need to…

Cool. I was thinking more along the lines of using the Wye as a passing siding - kinda like EBT does sometimes during the Fall Spectacular. My road, like the north end of EBT tourist line, doesn’t have any other options.

Like EBT tourist ops, I sometimes use my Wye as a staging point for multiple trains. I can get 5 trains out to the end of my single track main before heading back the other direction. Since I still don’t have any industry sidings built that’s about the most complex operation I can run. You, on the other hand, will be building your destinations at the same time as the main line. So, if it works for you operationally, that’s all that matters.

Now, since your doing so well, we expect to see the road operational to at least one destination by the New Year - and no excuses about bad weather :smiley:

Jon

Bart, your progress amazes me!

If’n you are not doing anything come iceout next spring, would you consider coming out this way and lending a hand on the CR&TC?

http://largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=74&page=10

Things are getting there, hopefully I can push some track out in the morning…

This is totally unfair. We’re just going to have to arrange a blizzard to slow you down some…:smiley: :wink:

Sunny and 50…and a Rockin New Years!

http://largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=74&page=11

Rain sets in tonight and we’re supposed to have an inch of snowfall tomorrow…so I’ll be in The Bunker over the next little bit. Need to cut some ties and get some Rolling stock ready to go anyways!

Warren Mumpower said:
This is totally unfair. We're just going to have to arrange a blizzard to slow you down some....:D ;)
You better tell Fr. Fred, my snow dance won't do much good that far East!

PS I can’t believe that Fred did the snow dance!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sunny and 50 there?..Cold and wet here, 30’s and 40’s…I’m movin to West Virginia…:wink:

Bart,

Progress looks good for 2007, hope it continues through 2008. We had a beautiful day - yesterday with 50 degrees. Woke up in the high teens this AM, its 23 right now and not expected to get out of the 20’s all day. If you haven’t got it yet, your going to get it. Really what can you expect fro January, even Florida complains their ice in drinks doesn’t melt as fast this time of the year.

Warren Mumpower said:
This is totally unfair. We're just going to have to arrange a blizzard to slow you down some....:D ;)
Darn you, Mumpower, you done arranged more snow all right ... HERE! East wind, snow. The weathergnomes have been chortling that December's snow broke the Dec 1970 record. What us'ns remember was that Dec 1970 was the start of the 14-foot winter ... Yeah, I know. A mere dusting in Alaska ... (but then, one quarter-inch in Joisey has the gubner declaring a disaster, so all things are relative). And all this stuff is coming up from Texas ... they should only keep it.

It’s got me worried too. They say this is the worst since 1969…our worst winter on record.

I’m ready for global warming…:confused:

Warren Mumpower said:
It's got me worried too. They say this is the worst since 1969....our worst winter on record.

I’m ready for global warming…:confused:

Between shovelling and skiing it will be a busy Winter. :confused:

I gots a red-headed step-child to take care of the shoveling for me! :smiley:

Hey???

Steve Featherkile said:
I gots a red-headed step-child to take care of the shoveling for me! :D
I try to get the resident five-year-old interested, but he's too wise to be suckered ...

http://largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=74&page=12

Amazing how much difference a week can make!

http://largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=74&page=13

Cool pics and flick.

1. What size lumber do you use for the sub-roadbed?

2. Is it cedar or PT?

3. How thick. 3/4, 4/4, or 5/4?

4. Do you worry about crown up or down?

Steve Featherkile said:
Cool pics and flick.
  1. What size lumber do you use for the sub-roadbed?

2. Is it cedar or PT?

3. How thick. 3/4, 4/4, or 5/4?

4. Do you worry about crown up or down?

Nominally 2x8 PT lumber, as Fr Fred says CUP DOWN. The track a Buchanas is mounted on 3/4 Marine Grade PT plywood. Ya gotta protect that stuff from UV by burying in in something and keeping it damp…UV does the most damage to it.