Large Scale Central

South Fork Sawmill

Now your airplane can’t land!!!

Jim Rowson said:

Now your airplane can’t land!!!

No probably not, but my turn table can(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Rick,

I am just now getting caught up on this awesome build! Thanks for taking the time to document everything. There are so many revealed tricks and varied techniques, this one build is “how to book.”

Eric

Thanks Eric,

I think that if even one person can gain something from my posts then it is worth all the hassel of documenting and posting the builds.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

The Box Factory.

There were basically three types of facilities called “box factories” back in the day that produced the wooden boxes, or the parts for wooden boxes, used to transport and store fruit and produce. The first was the full on factory that took raw lumber from their (or some one elses) saw mill and resawed, planed, sanded, and assembled boxes and sold them to the agriculture industry. The second type facility would take the raw lumber; resaw, plane, sand, and cut to specific dimensions so that certain types of boxes could be assembled from this material called “shook”. This shook would be shipped out to “assembly plants” also called box factories, which is our third type of box factory.

This was a huge business years ago and kept many a sawmill in production when other lumber markets were in decline. In fact it was so big that companies like “Fruit Growers” in California began to buy timberlands and sawmilling companies and running them to assure a constant, low cost supply of fruit boxes.

Well enough with the history lesson. My box factory will be of the second type discribed above. Where lumber from the mill will be resawn, planed, cut to size, stacked on pallets and shipped out to someone else for assembly into boxes.

This building is going to be quite large, 48 X 18 X 22 inches high so I needed a lighter construction material, thought I would try extruded foam as the core. I went to the local building supply stores and they were all out of the typical pink/blue 1 inch extruded foam. Ended up buying this cream colored foam that was covered with silver aluminum foil on both sides. It was easy enough to peal the foil off but the material is much more brittle than the pink or blue stuff, won’t use this again if I can avoid it.

As you can see in the pictures, after I cut out the shapes I reinforced everything with wood strips. All assemblies were glued with Tight Bond III and screws were used as clamps to hold everything in place while the glue dried. I left the screws in, to lazy to remove them.

The main building and back shed with loading dock are assembled and ready for the siding to go on. The ramp was built and given to me by a friend years ago and I never had a place to use it until now. The only reason this back shed has a loading dock is so I could use the ramp(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif).

The ceiling of the main loading dock overhang installed and finished including light fixtures.

More later.

Rick

Rick

Your structures are so creatively designed. Very authentic and as always very fun to watch your build and your post on here.

Keep your post and pictures a coming

Dennis

Some more progress shots of the box factory.

Starting the loading dock decking, this is quarter sawn old growth Redwood applied with a layer of Vulkim 116 Polyurethane sealent. I use a 1 1/2 inch putty knife to spread out the sealent to a medium thin layer.

Some visual difference between old growth Redwood on the left and second growth on the right.

After all the decking was applied it was clamped and let dry for a couple days, now it is ready for a little sanding and a coat of oil.

More to come.

This building must be growing overnight, every morning when I go out to the shop to cut or glue siding or layout doors/windows my first though is “this damn thing wasn’t this large yesterday”(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Starting the wood cladding on the back shed. I used Redwood for the loading dock planking and Cedar for the siding. All glued on with the Polyurethane sealent, good stuff once you get used to working with it.

Starting the siding on the main building, you can never have to many clamps. Because of the slow dry/cure time of the sealent I find that working on two different pieces alternately makes me let the glue dry on a section before I try to go back to it.

How to do windows in this foam wall that will end up an inch and a quarter thick. Plus the fact that there is no finish on the interior so seeing through them to the inside is not a great option.

So this is what I came up with; I wanted an old fashioned industrial window so I used 1/2 inch Hardware cloth and cut out the wires to give me a good size pane and the look of metal mullions. Acrylic sheet for the glass and a wood block painted flat black and inserted as a plug from the back side. Then of course the wood trim around the front.

Here is the idea of what they may end up looking like. Notice I left the wires long on the sides to be sandwiched between the foam and the siding to hold them in place. The wire mullions were placed as I glued on the siding then when dry the Acrylic and wood plug were pushed in from the back and caulked in place.

Looks like it shoul last well but time in the weather is always the final judge.

More later.

Clever idea with the windows!

Some more photo’s of progress on the box factory building.

All the siding is on the back shed and the ramp fitted.

The back shed doors added, the window trim finished and the siding stained. Only thing left to do is apply the roofing.

All the siding applied, doors and windows complete, and everything stained on the main building. The roof structure is next.

Thanks for taking a look.

Rick

1 Like

Nice looking building, Rick!

1 Like

Great build and awesome pics… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

1 Like

Great modeling Rick. Really enjoying your build.

1 Like

The Dormer for the building roof.

I built up the front face in 2 pieces and lamainated on the Cedar siding and installed the windows. Then cut the side angle pieces, laminated them and built the frame to hold it all together.

The main roof was installed and the dormer section was placed on top of it and fastened down. The Dormer roof sheeting and facia is done and ready for the final roofing.

If you look closly at the angled wall you can see one of the 1 inch round louvers I used to ventilate this structure. All these structures are ventilated just as are 1 to 1 buildings. In this case as the sun heats up the structure the warm air inside raises to go out through the louvers and cooler air is pulled up through the weed fabric below the buildings base.

This project is winding down, probably just a few “finished” shots then on to the next one.

Looking spiffy. What’s the main roof material? Looks like shingles. Same on the dormer?

Is the dormer roof angled back (i.e. higher in the front so water drains toward the rear)?

1 Like

Thanks Jim,

The roofing on all these buildings is 30lb mineral felt known in the 1 to 1 world as rolled roofing, comes in various colors. It is not exactly scale appropriate but since thes large buildings will remain outdoors in all weather it should do a good job of protecting the structures.

Yes, the dormer roof is sloped back to the building ridge line.

The box factory is planted, some finish shots of it in location.

on to the next one.

That is a handsome building, Rick. I really like all the different roof angles and the natural variation of color/shade of the siding. And the windows! Nicely done!

Next up is the office and warehouse. We are starting the pictures about midway through construction because some dummy accidently deleted all the pictures from the camera card(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif).

The office building here formed from old house siding and covered with horizontal Cedar siding. all wood is primed on the inside to help protect from moisture.

The warehouse framed up and siding started. I formed this from OSB that I had on hand and sided it with metal from my Clydsdale Iron Works. The Gables were done with Cedar siding just to add some visual interest. The open areas where the doors go and the office butts against it have all been coated with the Vulkim 116 sealent. The bottom edge of these 2 buildings have a 3/4 inch strip of Cedar so that the OSB/Siding material don’t sit in wetness. The inside will get 2 coats of paint to seal it.

Test fitting the office against the warehouse. The runners at the freight entrances are for double sliding doors.

After the lower row of metal siding was applied and dry/cured I used a strip of tape as a guide and applied the upper row of siding.

Not such a big deal but these are the next buildings on the sawmill diorama.

Will finish them up next time.