Large Scale Central

South Fork Sawmill

Jim Rowson said:

Nice start, Rick. What’s the overhang for (on the right in the last picture)?

Thanks Jim , the overhang is mostly to add some architecural interest to the building and increase it’s size. I decided that area would make a great saw filing loft hence all the windows in that end.

Rick Marty said:

Jim Rowson said:

Nice start, Rick. What’s the overhang for (on the right in the last picture)?

Thanks Jim , the overhang is mostly to add some architecural interest to the building and increase it’s size. I decided that area would make a great saw filing loft hence all the windows in that end.

Some more work done on the mill building.

Framing up the main roof assembly.

Building the dormer sections for the roof.

Test fitting the roof to the building boxes. The framing square gives you a feel for the size of this baby.

Everything good so far.

Well crap!

I dug some of my old growth Redwood boards out of the barn loft and started cutting them into siding strips when I discovered that the Carpenter Bees had been busy building new homes. Too bad their agenda and mine are not the same. They sure do chew some interesting holes thrugh the wood but it doesn’t make very good looking siding for a scale building.

Starting to laminate the Redwood siding to the extruded foam boxes using Polyurethane caulking (Vulkim seal 116). As I said earlier the Vulkim works very well the only down side is that it takes about two days for it .to set up enough to move on to the next section/

A few more posts to come.

Getting the roof sections finished. Since the dormers will be lift off I made the roofing underneath them a solid sheet. Getting all the siding glued to the framing and test fitting.

Getting the side dormers mounted to the main section.

Windows in and most of the roofing completed. All the trim is done, painted, or stained. This roof section is pretty heavy, I will have to call for help to set it in place once the building is on the layout.

Getting closer to done, just miles of siding to cut and glue to the building, then 25 windows and 7 doors to build and install.

Looking VERY good!

Wonderful work, Rick!

Your entire build is beautiful! But one sentence caught my eye:

This roof section is pretty heavy, I will have to call for help to set it in place once the building is on the layout.

Yeah, I had the same issue, and I trust you’ll have a couple of buddies to lend a hand. Here’s Bruce and Jerry helping me out a couple years ago:

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,

Yes it is always nice to have train buddies to give a hand and offer encouragement, unfortunatly they are kinda few and far between in this area. Having said that there is 1 or 2 that I can count on for

help(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

OK, let’s see if this new system really works, or more to the point, if I can make it work.

Getting the window mullions and frames installed.

The doors were next. The upper door is for lifting band blades and other supplies/materials into the saw filing loft from rail cars. The I- beam is for a beam dolly and chain fall to roll out on.

3 Likes

Looks good to me, Rick! Both the building and your use of the new site…

1 Like

Starting the “Green Chain” shed for the main mill building. Normally the Green Chain area is 90 degrees to the mill layout but that old problem of, lack of space, once again causes problems. If I had laid the shed out correctly I would have had to eliminate 4 tracks on the module, so this is the way it will be.

I first built the platform/deck at car loading height and got it located with the main building.

Next I did a drawing of all the framing sizes and locations and started the stud walls.

Teast fitting the walls.

Built a glu-lam beam for the front opening and laying out the support posts.

Not much more and I can finally put this build to bed.

5 Likes

Love stick built structures.

A little more progress on the Green Chain shed.

Test fitting the shed against the main building, nothing left to do but the roofing and lighting and of course the detail work but that is for later.

3 Likes

I always enjoy it when somebody says: nothing left to do… except… long list of stuff left to do.

Nice work again, as always…

2 Likes

Finished and set in place.

Now I can concentrate on the larger accessories like the log slip, the green chain, the blow pipe and material chutes.

3 Likes

Great finish of the build Rick :sunglasses:

Fantastic! Nicely done!