Large Scale Central

South Fork Sawmill

Thanks Cliff,

Yes it is always nice to have train buddies to give a hand and offer encouragement, unfortunatly they are kinda few and far between in this area. Having said that there is 1 or 2 that I can count on for

help(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

OK, let’s see if this new system really works, or more to the point, if I can make it work.

Getting the window mullions and frames installed.

The doors were next. The upper door is for lifting band blades and other supplies/materials into the saw filing loft from rail cars. The I- beam is for a beam dolly and chain fall to roll out on.

3 Likes

Looks good to me, Rick! Both the building and your use of the new site…

1 Like

Starting the “Green Chain” shed for the main mill building. Normally the Green Chain area is 90 degrees to the mill layout but that old problem of, lack of space, once again causes problems. If I had laid the shed out correctly I would have had to eliminate 4 tracks on the module, so this is the way it will be.

I first built the platform/deck at car loading height and got it located with the main building.

Next I did a drawing of all the framing sizes and locations and started the stud walls.

Teast fitting the walls.

Built a glu-lam beam for the front opening and laying out the support posts.

Not much more and I can finally put this build to bed.

5 Likes

Love stick built structures.

A little more progress on the Green Chain shed.

Test fitting the shed against the main building, nothing left to do but the roofing and lighting and of course the detail work but that is for later.

3 Likes

I always enjoy it when somebody says: nothing left to do… except… long list of stuff left to do.

Nice work again, as always…

2 Likes

Finished and set in place.

Now I can concentrate on the larger accessories like the log slip, the green chain, the blow pipe and material chutes.

3 Likes

Great finish of the build Rick :sunglasses:

Fantastic! Nicely done!

thumbsup

Are you going to have workers @ some point?
Looks fantastic !

That looks great Rick.

Thanks for the comments guys. There is years worth of details that can be added around the mill complex, some are in progress even now.

1 Like

Outstanding work as always!

Planned or not the wood “grain” mix is fantastic!

More than a years worth of details… “lambs tongues” …come to mind on the platform posts and brackets as a starter.

Thanks David.
The wood is from several different pieces of old growth Redwood and the side shed (green chain shed) is from Cedar. It all received a coat of red based oil stain for weather protection.

“More than a years worth of details… “lambs tongues” …come to mind on the platform posts and brackets as a starter.”

Yea, great detail but remember this is a sawmill not a hotel or courthouse :smiley:

what please is a lamb’s tongue?
(other than a grass-gathering piece of flesh)

Korm,
A lamb’s tongue is the name of a decorative detail in wood working.
Here is a quick video to give you the basic idea.

2 Likes

Well Rick,
It looks like a badass backwoods hotel or courthouse to me !

Remember this is a “SawMill” not a hotel or courthouse!

Ok, it’s screaming numerous goose neck outdoor lamps which you have some but not enough!

Perhaps some corbels and crown then ?

1 Like