Large Scale Central

Seeking Build Challenge History

For those of you that haven’t been following this years Build Challenge, The discussion has turned to, When was the first “Challenge”? We have sorted thru numerous prior posts by Mik and others and we cannot come up with a definitive answer… 2010 seems to be the earliest that we can prove, but others believe that it was sooner then that.

So in the spirit of historical accuracy, If you took up an early challenge, and can remember when it was, and what was the challenge, Please chime in.

You can follow along under the post “Mik’s Build Challenge 2016” in the Modeling section.

Thanks

Dave

Dave you are correct. It was Jan of 2010. My work caboose was entered in the very first challenge and the photo is dated 2010.

(http://oi45.tinypic.com/2lsfgx0.jpg)

Shawn,

Like it! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Joe that was mine

Actually Shawn that was the “Official Challenge 2” in 2010 and I’m pretty sure I did Ralphie the rail scale as Vic sent me a face from a Thomas he dissected. So “Challenge 1” was in 2009. However I know it was before that and I don’t remember the year Mik passed away. Ralph Berg may know.

The first year I entered was in 2012 and I actually won a major prize which means there was not too many entries. :grin:

2009, 2010 that is at least 12 years of the Mik which is really neat. Thanks for keeping it going Dave T. I think we all really enjoy it.

I made a video this past Spring of all my challenge entries on the RR and they are the best things I have ever built including the monstrosity from last year.

Welp I found this so it appears 2009 was the first challenge

Now I’m really confused. Or perhaps I’m missing something?

I highly doubt all of his posts are here but decided to do a member search on Mik just Mik …
Large Scale Central - A place to share information about Large Scale and garden trains

I’d say the second dated 2010 was the first MMIK from the first posting in it,but… JMHO YMMV :sunglasses:

ABCD EFG HIJK LMNOP is one of my favorite songs!
Court reporting by :rooster:

I distinctly remember the MIK challenge started on My Large Scale site. I know because I won with a short line water tank and shed made from an old plastic water glass. MIK sent me a magazine as a prize! No idea when that was, and later he moved it to LSC. Just saying…

Jerry

I had to go spelunking through Mik’s posts. He started posting here in 2006, and issued the first challenge here in Jan 2010. We kept the challenge going “In memorial” after he passed. I couildnt find any earlier reference here.

I too vaguely remember something about a MIK build on MLS as well but those archives are long gone. So maybe 2009 was a year that MIK crossed posted on MLS and LSC?

I went through Mik’s MLS posts from earliest forward, and this is the first mention I noticed from him of a build challenge. Here’s the actual link, from 1/1/2010. All Mik’s text is in bold italics.

I was digging around in one of my junk/scrap/parts boxes this morning (looking for a 2" long bit of styrene rod… which I didn’t find BTW), when I came to the realization that I probably have enough accumulated crap here to build another complete locomotive. Then I thought, Vic probably does too… and maybe a few others.

Which led to… Since it’s Jan 1, how about a really goofy idea… Is anybody up to a friendly little contest? Rules are simple: 1. It can be just about anything you want to build. motive power, rolling stock, structure, mini scene, whatever – BUT you’ve got to do it with less than $10 of additional purchases (to be fair, lets say $20 for a locomotive) 2. Long planned or already under construction projects are not eligible. New year = new project. 3. Pictures of the completed project have to be submitted by January 15th – ie. you’ll have two weeks to toss something together. 4. Winner will be picked by popular vote. both for each major catagory listed above and overall best-- If it’s your first or second major project, we’ll give you extra points for effort… AND 5. The whole point is to have FUN with it. So there may or may not be a tangible ‘prize’ for the winner beyond the satisfaction of saying "I did it!"

Who’s game?

Later that day…

Guess I should have made it more clear. The monetary limit only counts towards NEW/ADDITIONAL materials purchased. Stuff you already have lying around = free. Stuff you can horsetrade for = free. Stuff out of yours or the neighbor’s trash can = free. Stuff you can mooch off of your cousin = free. Glue and paint doesn’t count towards the price limit either. Stuff shoplifted or stolen off your kids without their consent will be counted at 5 times retail. And just to be reasonable, we won’t count a bare motor brick w/ wheels or a pair of trucks, either (a full rolling chassis is pushing it, though). All this is on the honor sytem, because there ain’t no real way to verify if you’re play by the rules, unless somebody remembers the feebay listing anyway.

Kitbashes can also be submitted with before and after pics.

Sound fair?

On 1/16 Mik wrote:

On another forum, they took the same idea and ran with it.
http://www.largescalecentral.com/LS…p?id=12428

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LS…p?id=12431

Maybe the idea will be a success here some other time?..

From these and other posts on that thread, it seems to me like he first expressed the idea on MLS in 2010, but also mentioned it on LSC that same year; and that’s where it first really took off.

Cliff

That’s the same post he did here:

Sure is, Bob. Looks like 10 days later.

Same day, I think, both on 1/1/10

Ah, you’re right, I misinterpreted the " '10 " .

And just learned I could look at the full date (with day) by clicking on the date.