Large Scale Central

Large Scale Central's 4th Annual New Year's Scratchbuild Challen

Yep, this really is the 4th year… I looked… almost a tradition, eh?

The subjects for this year’s challenge are:

1. a NON-COMMERCIAL building or structure (no stores, stations). - $30 material limit
  2. a piece of rolling stock starting from Dave Taylor’s kit or plans. (No, it doesn’t have to be a gondola - the kit is just the starting point) $25 material limit if starting from the kit. $30 if starting from just the plans. Contact Dave directly for these e-mail address: [email protected]

As always we’re on the honor system, here. If feel you have to cheat to win a friendly challenge, I really feel sorry for you. The rules themselves are pretty simple:

1. Dollar limits apply to NEW purchases (less postage).
  2. Stuff already in your possession as of 12PM Dec 29, 2012 count as “free”
  3. You can beg, borrow, even trade (but please don’t steal!) for any parts you may need and still count them as “free”.
  4. We’ll spot everybody a fresh hobby knife blade, 1 new tube of glue, and 1 bottle of paint OFF the expense sheet, as always. everything else you buy counts.
  5. this must be a NEW project - researched, planned and constructed during the challenge period.
  6. Challenge entrants should take multiple photographs their projects “in progress” and then post an individual, detailed build log in the Modeling Forum. A big part of this challenge should be learning from each other so tell us what/why/how. If you have trouble posting photos ask for help. - Also, please use the word “challenge” in the thread title to make them easier to find.
  7. Entrants are asked to keep track of purchases and post the total spent in their build log.
  8. Please take two (2) different angle photos of your finished project, and post them to YOUR build log to allow easier judging. (If I have to dig for them, I won’t)
  9. The challenge period will begin Friday January 4 at 10AM Pacific Time and run to Monday February 4 2011 10PM Pacific Time. Giving you 33 days and/or 5 full weekends.
  10. Have fun!

Looking forward to it Mik!

Mik, by limiting it to “non-commercial” buildings and structures, are you limiting it to just homes?

Would a junction tower fall into that prohibition? How about a section gang dorm, or a logging camp bunk house? Those serve a commercial purpose, but are neither stations, nor stores.

Or, are you just excluding stores and stations, and anything else goes?

Those you listed would probably be considered ‘support structures’ as business transactions/production and/or merchandise storage/distribution doesn’t usually take place in them. … Think of the difference between a slash burner and a drying shed, or even an apartment building and a hotel…if you aren’t sure.

So, Daisy’s Parlor House would fit the bill? :smiley:

It would be monkey business?

Still some “kits” left, and time to get in on the challenge.

I haven’t got it straight - can you give me an example of a OK structure where I could spot a freightcar?

Steve Featherkile said:
So, Daisy's Parlor House would fit the bill? :D
Steve you cant build a crack house either.
Shawn said:
Steve Featherkile said:
So, Daisy's Parlor House would fit the bill? :D
Steve you cant build a crack house either.
How about a house with a crack in it?

Quote:
can you give me an example of a OK structure where I could spot a freightcar?

It’s really supposed to be YOUR idea, not mine, y’know. switch tower

(http://www.vistadome.com/trains/places/lax_tower01.jpg)

sand house

(http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/images/tennessee%20route/minturn%20sand%20tower%201980%20gl.jpg)

car wash

(http://idf-mfg.com/images/rail1.jpg)

Since I gave you hints, to keep it fair I guess I should give the car building guys a couple too… tank car

(http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52/steamnut1917/civil%20war/tc3.jpg)

sheep or barrel car? http://www.library.upenn.edu/images/rbm/manuscripts/harrisburgcar/harrisburgcar-6.jpgg now are we all on the same track?

Thanks for the clarification, Mik. I think the non-commercial aspect pretty much disqualifies me as I only have room for revenue-producing/traffic generating structures.

In fact most of my structures are in some respect merely symbolic, being severely compressed or even simply elegant flats, serving to indicate to operators in our game of railroad where they should spot or pick up freightcars.

At some point I foresee building both sanding and icing facilities, but not until their real estate can be determined accurately; I’m not quite there yet.

I don’t need any more freightsheds right now, either. Anyway, I’m not sure whether they would be called non-commercial either.

I asked for clarification because I was wondering if I could participate in this particular contest, but I’m afraid I still don’t see how. :frowning:

You don’t need a MoW section house? Or an outhouse? Or a generic structure that you can re-purpose later? Not even for practice?

My reasoning for stressing “non-commercial” this year was to get us away from those huge, intricate construction projects that, quite frankly, intimidate the bejebus out of most newbies. I wanted to get the challenge back to focusing on craftsmanship, imagination and fun rather than who could come up with the most ambitious build and still barely fit it under the rules.

(THAT, and it also might just have just a LITTLE to do with the sad fact that I STILL haven’t finished up my last 2 challenge projects, either …)

OTOH, If the guys want to give you a variance on the rules for building something you DO need, they can do that, too.

All laudable ideals, Mik - as you’ll have noticed from the bottom of all my posts, I’m all in favour of simplicity.

If I had my druthers I’d do an industrial flat using alleywood & found objects. Meanwhile Dave T. has got in touch with me offlist with an offer of parts and plans for doing the gondola project; I could always use another gondola. I accept with gratitude; I have the trucks & couplers anyway. Thanks Dave.

No more outhouses or section houses for me, though, Mik - did all that in smaller scale years ago. Nowadays I’m pretty much 100% into freight ops, y’see…

The Gondola Kits have been mailed today… Good luck with the challenge… Now If the post office gets them to you earlier then the start date, I’m sure that you won’t jump the start date…

Dave

You’re a star, Dave. So are you, Mik. :wink:

I know our post office won’t deliver early! They are “non-commercial” at their best!

Bump… to keep the challenge rules on the first page.

bump… 2 weeks remaining… If you haven’t started yet, there’s still time.

Mik said:
Yep, this really is the 4th year....... I looked.... almost a tradition, eh? The subjects for this year's challenge are: 1. a NON-COMMERCIAL building or structure (no stores, stations). - $30 material limit 2. a piece of rolling stock starting from Dave Taylor's kit or plans. (No, it doesn't have to be a gondola - the kit is just the starting point) $25 material limit if starting from the kit. $30 if starting from just the plans. Contact Dave directly for these e-mail address: [email protected] As always we're on the honor system, here. If feel you have to cheat to win a friendly challenge, I really feel sorry for you. The rules themselves are pretty simple: 1) Dollar limits apply to NEW purchases (less postage). 2) Stuff already in your possession as of 12PM Dec 29, 2012 count as "free" 3) You can beg, borrow, even trade (but please don't steal!) for any parts you may need and still count them as "free". 4) We'll spot everybody a fresh hobby knife blade, 1 new tube of glue, and 1 bottle of paint OFF the expense sheet, as always. everything else you buy counts. 5) this must be a NEW project - researched, planned and constructed during the challenge period. 6) Challenge entrants should take multiple photographs their projects "in progress" and then post an individual, detailed build log in the Modeling Forum. A big part of this challenge should be learning from each other so tell us what/why/how. If you have trouble posting photos ask for help. - Also, please use the word "challenge" in the thread title to make them easier to find. 7) Entrants are asked to keep track of purchases and post the total spent in their build log. 8) Please take two (2) different angle photos of your finished project, and post them to YOUR build log to allow easier judging. (If I have to dig for them, I won't) 9) The challenge period will begin Friday January 4 at 10AM Pacific Time and run to Monday February 4 2011 10PM Pacific Time. Giving you 33 days and/or 5 full weekends. 10) Have fun!
Kinda wondering why this wasn't brought back to the top 21 minutes ago? And then I realized I was off by 3 hours