Large Scale Central

New Year's scratchbuild challenge?

I was digging around in one of my junk/scrap/parts boxes this morning (looking for a 2" long bit of styrene rod… which I didn’t find BTW), when I came to the realization that I probably have enough accumulated crap here to build another complete locomotive. Then I thought, Vic probably does too… and maybe a few others.

Which led to… Since it’s Jan 1, how about a really goofy idea… Is anybody up to a friendly little contest? Rules are simple: 1. It can be just about anything you want to build. motive power, rolling stock, structure, mini scene, whatever – BUT you’ve got to do it with less than $10 of additional purchases (to be fair, lets say $20 for a locomotive) 2. Long planned or already under construction projects are not eligible. New year = new project. 3. Pictures of the completed project have to be submitted by January 15th – ie. you’ll have two weeks to toss something together. 4. Winner will be picked by popular vote. both for each major catagory listed above and overall best-- If it’s your first or second major project, we’ll give you extra points for effort… AND 5. The whole point is to have FUN with it. So there may or may not be a tangible ‘prize’ for the winner beyond the satisfaction of saying “I did it!”

Who’s game?

Clarification:
The monetary limit only counts towards NEW/ADDITIONAL materials purchased. Stuff you already have lying around = free. Stuff you can horsetrade for = free. Stuff out of yours or the neighbor’s trash can = free. Stuff you can mooch off of your cousin = free. Glue and paint doesn’t count towards the price limit either. Stuff shoplifted or stolen off your kids without their consent will be counted at 5 times retail. And just to be reasonable, we won’t count a bare motor brick w/ wheels or a pair of trucks, either (a full rolling chassis is pushing it, though). All this is on the honor sytem, because there ain’t no real way to verify if you’re play by the rules, unless somebody remembers the feebay listing anyway.

Kitbashes can also be submitted with before and after pics.

Sound fair?

Mik,
My “junk supply” consists of stuff like Accucraft trucks, A whole fishing box full of Ozark’s, and a drawer full of new KD couplers. All this crap purchased earlier. I have enough stuff to build almost anything.
Does that count?
I wouldn’t want anyone to say that “Cheats” cheated. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

If you already have it, use it. If you have to buy it, then keep track of how much you spend on new parts. The whole idea was just to see what kind of nifty project you can come up with using mostly just whatever junk you’ve already accumulated…

I’m using a Kalamazoo (I think) brick, Scientific, B’mann, Aristo, HLW, Delton and Ozark bits. Some of it that I was seriously thinking about tossing in the trash before Christmas because “I’ll probably never use THAT”.

Works for me. Not sure what I’ll come up with, but Ill come up with something!

I have a very, very limited supply in my junk box. :frowning: :frowning:

well if JB is in you better count me in to.

by the 15th? that could be hard. can you build something that someone has alread done? I like Ric Goldings little loco he made out of a LGB tender and was going to give it a try. I have 90% of what is needed but have never done anything from scrach.

I will have to see if I have enougfh stuff to come up something. Might be a tough one with my limited supply but I guess I will have to really look hard around the house.

Mike Williams said:
well if JB is in you better count me in to.
And Mike has ten more times the amount of junk than I do. :) :)
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
I have a very, very limited supply in my junk box. :( :(
You don't cut up much Swiss stuff, eh Hans?

OK,
This thread inspired me on something that I want and I made decent progress today. However a question to clarify.
As I understand it this is basically use what you have…so does that mean you are allowed to rob something you already have (but not in your junk box) if no money is spent?

Aaahh doesn’t matter as I don’t want to rush this for your 15th deadline but you did light a fire under me on something I wanted!
:wink:

John Bouck said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
I have a very, very limited supply in my junk box. :( :(
You don't cut up much Swiss stuff, eh Hans?
Sure I do, but it all gets recycled pronto with nary a thing left to use for junk projects.

Two weeks is not enough time for us working guys!

-Brian

More time would be nice. I might not have any weather warm enough to paint in the next two weeks.
If I did need any parts, they’d have to be shipped to me. Don’t have a lot of “junk”. But enough I can
do something.
Ralph

I’m thinkin’ boob’s nice perky one’s!

The 15th was an arbitrary date I just pulled out of a hat (two weeks is enough tome to build 4 or 5 small projects, isn’t it?)… otherwise some guys probably wouldn’t finish (or maybe even start) until next Christmas.

If you guys really need more time, then vote to extend it a bit. (But I do think June might be too long… lol)

Mik you have too much time on your hands, I wont even be able to clean my workbench by the 15th

Victor Smith said:
I wont even be able to clean my workbench by the 15th
What's a workbench? I've been sitting on the bedroom floor to build stuff for most of the last year. -- ever since Kim fell last February and broke her foot, so I dragged my hand tools up here to keep her company.

Actually the creeping clutter IS trying to take over. I just need to finish 5 diecast bashes and two buildings to get them out of the road, and get some more stack baskets for parts bins.

Mik said:
The 15th was an arbitrary date I just pulled out of a hat (two weeks is enough tome to build 4 or 5 small projects, isn't it?)... otherwise some guys probably wouldn't finish (or maybe even start) until next Christmas.

If you guys really need more time, then vote to extend it a bit. (But I do think June might be too long… lol)

My project is half done already. Should have plenty of time to finish it by the 15th.