Large Scale Central

Scratch built locomotives.

lol, well that engine is 1/29 so I won’t be getting no stinking NMRA recognition right from the get go

:wink: :slight_smile:

Mark, and that upsets you? :wink:

Scratchbuilt

Parts built

Kit-bashed

Print built

All have their place, all are different. There are reasons people develop standards, why others want to muddle them I dunno.

John

Scratchbuilt

(http://www.mendorailhistory.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/model-trains-brighton-model-expo-matchstick-train.jpg)

Andrew

Wouldn’t that be considered “Matchbuilt”?? HHAHAHa :slight_smile:

Greg Elmassian said:

There is no NEED, just an interesting (in my opinion) discussion about a good definition and distinction between scratch, bashed, etc.

You don’t HAVE to think about it, but it is a interesting discussion to at least a few people.

Greg

Agreed…its just sometimes things strike a nerve…sort of like people who try to tell you how to raise children…who have no children and never have had children. Just a pet peeve I guess…

Bart, yes some folks get too picky as to what label to use. I approach it as an interesting academic discussion.

By the way, I have a pet dog, not a peeve.

John Caughey said:

Scratchbuilt

Parts built

Kit-bashed

Print built

All have their place, all are different. There are reasons people develop standards, why others want to muddle them I dunno.

John

John,

Last time the “standards muddlers” commented it was “we don’t need no stinking standards”.

PS imprecise thread titles = (sometimes) the precise definitions are developed as the discussion progresses.

Bart, if someone starts telling you how to enjoy the hobby, then I agree, show them the door, and accelerate their departure with an assist (boots work!).

Fun to discuss, learn, but especially in “G scale”, live and let live… rivet counting is not always possible.

Regards, Greg

Direct from the Enema Ray

"Scratchbuilt…

To be considered scratchbuilt, a model must have been constructed by the applicant without the use of any commercial parts except

1. Motor
  2. Gears
  3. Drivers and wheels
  4. Couplers
  5. Light bulbs
  6. Trucks
  7. Bell
  8. Marker and classification lights
  9. Valve gear
  10. Car brake fittings
  11. Basic wood, metal and plastic shapes

A model is considered “scratchbuilt” if at least 90% of the model’s pieces/parts (other than those specifically exempted in the list above) are fabricated by the modeler. This is a quantitative assessment based on the number of pieces with no weight given to complexity. This is a separate determination from the scratch building score.

If some points of the exempted parts are also scratchbuilt, the modeler may qualify for Bonus Points (see definition above)

The term “scratchbuilt” carries the implication that the builder alone has accomplished all of the necessary layout and fabrication which establish the final dimensions, appearance, and operating qualities of the scale model."

"kitbash — altering the parts of a kit to produce a car or structure that is unique, or combining parts from two or more kits to produce the same result."

Mark, there might be hope for you, there’s no definition of HOW you fabricate parts

:wink:

Stacy Krausmann said:

Thanks John.

Man that BLM is a pretty cool looking locomotive. I actually like it…allot.

I was sitting here thinking that if I purchased to used SD 45’s and cut them and rejoined them, would I not have the makings of a Centennial? Stacy

There is a dichotomy here. You are suggesting going out and buying a couple of ready-made SD-45 locos and bashing them into a Centennial. That, Sir, is most definitley NOT scratch-building.

Scratch-building is what many folks do in Gauge 1 and larger when they take a few sheets of nickel-silver, a few sheets of brass, a few great lumps of phosphor-bronze, brass or steel and using a lathe, miller, profiler tools and jigs, folds, silver-solders, rivets and brazes it all until a locomotive comes out the other end. Like Bryan smith does on the other forum with lumps of wood. He takes literal lumps of wood and takes away EVERYTHING that doesn’t look like a DD-40X.

THAT is scratch-building.

There is another poster here who has scratch-built a big dismal - take a look at it. True, he didn’t make the wheels like some of us do, either my machining bar or by casting iron, nor did he make the motors, but what he did is still considered ‘scratch-building’ because he made something that nobody else did.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Mark Dash said:

So this isn’t a "model"according to Marc??

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10402561_1514515322110173_8072217822769687021_n.jpg)

Its 99% 3d printed from scratch drawings

By me, THAT IS scratch-built.

tac

How much Scratch to buy the printer?

:wink:

The printer that was made on was $2k, I’m currently making one should be about $400 or so, will reprint that engine with my scratch built 3d printer :wink:

Mark the NMRA may give you Mastermodeler status for scratchbuilting the 3D printer.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Is he building or printing it? :wink:

I’ll have to rebuild the frame and trucks for this so that I can write it up as “scratch built” lol

(https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/1959336_1464863330408706_639157901_n.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/1609848_1464863430408696_1276470095_n.jpg)

this one is Scratchbuilt

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/578130_1434901563404883_301080992_n.jpg)

Vic Smith said:

Mark the NMRA may give you Mastermodeler status for scratchbuilting the 3D printer.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Nope i used commercially available metal rods and nuts, NUTS

(https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10353574_1502378176657221_786134024096825307_n.jpg)

Woke up to this quick email this morning :wink:

Hello,

Your forum post about your 3D-printed locomotive was called to my attention. I was wondering if you would be interested in writing an article for Garden Railways about the engine and your process in achieving it? Hope so.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Marc Horovitz

Go for it. you’ve already got a head start on it…:wink: