Large Scale Central

Scratch built locomotives.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Is he building or printing it? :wink:

Sean now you have my head spinning with this chicken before the egg question… ?

Whooohoooo!

Fame!

Go for it!

tac
Terbly impressed.

Mark, I look forward to the ar-tickle. Go for it!

Mark Dash said:

Woke up to this quick email this morning :wink:

Hello,

Your forum post about your 3D-printed locomotive was called to my attention. I was wondering if you would be interested in writing an article for Garden Railways about the engine and your process in achieving it? Hope so.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Marc Horovitz

Hmmmmmmmm … now isn’t that interesting, eh?

I’m thinking Marc didn’t know what 3d printers could really do till he saw a complete 3d printed model

I have a feeling we can be seeing a very large opportunity for the hobby here. With the right printer/plastic and a well planned CAD file the only thing one might need would be the drive bricks and electronics, everything else could conceivably be printed at home. No more waiting for some manufacturer to bless us with whatever they decide to grace us with. Want an F-40? Print it!

Mark, I’m getting the bug, could you recommend a 3d printer. Under $2k would be nice, but more interested in quality and speed than price.

Also heard a company is integrating a 3d scanner.

Regards, Greg

p.s. do the article!

Greg Elmassian said:

Mark, I’m getting the bug, could you recommend a 3d printer. Under $2k would be nice, but more interested in quality and speed than price.

Also heard a company is integrating a 3d scanner.

Regards, Greg

p.s. do the article!

That might be a great thread over in Technical Modeling. Ive looked at a bunch of the sub-$1000 ones, but have no idea how to rate them. Plus Im afraid of getting one that requires a bunch of tinkering to work correctly and consistantly.

OK, moving over there to start one!

Greg

Well, over here in little ol’ UK a small company has been making narrow gauge slate wagons and Hudson-style MoW wagons astonishing complexity in ALL scales from 009 up to 7/8th, for the last year.

see - www.pvmr.co.uk

A full-size motor-cycle has been made by printer on youtube, so it shouldn’t be such a culture shock.

In USA a genuinely-functioning Colt M1911 has been printed by a Federally-licensed company in TX [except for the springs] that is in no way any different from a conventionally-produced item.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Mark do the article for GR. It would be neat to read about your process in there and you could use the cash to buy more plastic to make more neat things.

My take on Scratching VS Bashing

Scratching is building something from nothing be it a popsicle stick outhouse or a MAC speeder like this one I built for Miks build challenge last year. It was all scratched except 2 of 3 figures, the bell, the light, couplers and wheels.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/capecodtodd/_forumfiles/SpeederBuild10.jpg)

Now Bashing is what I will be doing if I ever get around to building a Garrett. I have 3 big haulers and 2 new drive trains that will be cut, bashed, glued and screwed together.