Large Scale Central

Saw Mill Run Bridge v3.0

That is really looking good , David.

Nice bridge.

You could still use steel when you add the stringers to hold the track. Maybe a length of angle iron between them…

Or some small square tubing to give some stiffness-underneath

Several suggestions have been made to add some metal stringers to David’s new bridge. I really do not think any will be needed for two reasons. First, PVC cement is not glue. Rather it is a solvent that melts the surfaces being joined. When the cement sets up, the two pieces are actually fused into one piece, just like when two pieces of steel are welded together, they become one piece. Because of this, properly done PVC joints are very strong; much stronger than most glued joints so the bridge will be quite strong without additional enhancement. Second, David does not run a lot of heavy equipment, like USAT Hudsons. His engines are all of at most moderate weight, and he doesn’t run big heavy passenger cars. So I surely understand that the suggestions of bracing were in no way criticizing David’s design or choice of materials, but just meant to reduce the chance of failure; we all hope the bridge gives faithful service for many years. I hope my comments here don’t seem negative.

I just want to fight back when the deer kick it …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

In a protected environment, it could be plenty strong.

David,

This is a timely thread! Kid-zilla took out one of our bridges, so I have been snooping for ideas and techniques. This is more substantial than I need, but I had not thought of PVC as a source of material, so “Mahalo (Thanks!)!”

ERic

Once all of the deck diagonal pieces were in going the one direction, next is to add the diagonals in the other direction to make them X braces. I didn’t lap joint these, since they won’t be too visible. I just but jointed them in.

Nice work David. I’ve been following long and am impressed by your joinery skills. Crappy chop saw or not; it looks real clean.

FWIW, I have been using PVC pipe cement at work in the sign shop, and at home on the RR to join Foamed PVC Board (Azek etc.) parts with pretty good results. My fabrication mentor just introduced me to a two-part adhesive for Azek trim. It comes in a big double tube and requires a special gun and mixing nozzles. Too pricey for hobby use IMHO, but it’s what the pros use to hang Azek trim without fasteners and it works great. I was going to post a picture and a link, but my Google Foo is weak this morning. I’ll get the brand name and a picture at work next week,

Nice build, David. Just out of curiosity, are you going to add strengthening, riveted plates at the joints? I have never tried adding rivets and am wondering about techniques.

Whether you do or not, this is an extremely nice bridge. I’m impressed with how well you have done all the joints and proportions, seemingly without trying very hard.

I don’t like it, Maynard. You’re supposed to be a Butt Modeller and not producing anything as professional as this. John C. and Devon will have to find someone else to pick on if you keep this up.

Nice work Dave. I am looking forward to stopping over and seeing it in person.

So who else thinks that MIK’s Build Challenge 2019 should be to build a bridge, past built bridges don’t count??? LOL

John Passaro said:

I don’t like it, Maynard. You’re supposed to be a Butt Modeller and not producing anything as professional as this. John C. and Devon will have to find someone else to pick on if you keep this up.

Just because I lost $40 to plastic warpage and it killed my contest entry, doesn’t mean I’m a pickin’ on Dave. I offered a prize winning touch, of course rejected off hand it was. Butt I wish I was as motivated, at 106F, I’m cooked by half a day.

Mark Demyan said:

So who else thinks that MIK’s Build Challenge 2019 should be to build a bridge, past built bridges don’t count??? LOL

I’m in

Jon Radder said: My fabrication mentor just introduced me to a two-part adhesive for Azek trim.

Not needed…they have a one-part adhesive that works very well with “their” product others not so much .

Jim Rowson said:

Nice build, David. Just out of curiosity, are you going to add strengthening, riveted plates at the joints? I have never tried adding rivets and am wondering about techniques.

Whether you do or not, this is an extremely nice bridge. I’m impressed with how well you have done all the joints and proportions, seemingly without trying very hard.

Jim,

1/16 to 1/8" pvc or styrene if you prefer. Cut out the plate and punch in rivets with a finish nail set on soft mat like the one you already have. Then glue the plates onto the structure.

Jon, thank you. The crappy chop saw gets me close, and then I do the final carving with an Xacto knife. The outer skin of this stuff is pretty tough, but the inside is easily carved. They say its foam, but I don’t see any bubbles in it, but it is certainly less dense then the outside skin.

Jim, the thought crossed my mind. But this bridge build is delaying the opening of my railroad and I really want to play trains. So, no gusset plates.

John, Thank you. I am a builder and train watcher at heart. I am not really into operations. Just because Devon crowned me King Butt Modeler, in a fit of whatever he was having, doesn’t meant I cant make things.

Thanks Mark.

I know its a bit modern for my railroad. But my excuse is that the Pittsburgh Railways footed the bill, once they started trolley operations on the line. They didn’t want to see one of their trolleys go down into Saw Mill Run.

Now the the deck X bracing is done, its time to add the rail support members. I took some Azec lath, well, its looks like lathing, and ran it through my Proxxon saw to get 1/4 inch wide strips.

And using a straight edge

I glued it down roughly to the gauge of the track

And weighted them down till the glue set up.

Your build is looking great! Thanks for the step by step write up. I’m learning a lot.

David Maynard said:

…Just because Devon crowned me King Butt Modeler, in a fit of whatever he was having, doesn’t meant I cant make things…

Just kidding, Maynard. I knew that years ago the first time I saw one of these random pictures show up. They’re still the most beautiful cars I’ve ever seen and I’m not kidding on that one.

You know, this reminds me. I had this idea a while back that somebody should put together a permanent post that shows nothing but our finished LSC builds. It could be the “Large Scale Central Gallery of Builds.” No rules, no committees, no exclusions, just finished work. Christ, these cars of yours and the Challenge builds alone would yield a hall of fame.