Large Scale Central

New Shop For The WSRR

I first mentioned this endeavor back when @Cliff_Jennings started his “New Shed” project. Herself and I have been planning our workshop project for several years and finally broke ground back in July. Here is the concept drawing.

We originally planned to build 2 - 30x40 shops with a 40x40 carport between them but had to make some compromises and ended up with 2 - 38x42 shops with a 38x48 carport :grin:

Here is a very “general” location of the shop as it relates to our house.

Clearing began in July. Here a few before photos.

Driveway starts here:

Broader view:

Keep an eye on the little white doghouse on the left side of the photo above. It will become a reference point for the following few photos.

Doghouse is just out the frame on the left side of this photo.

Looking back toward the last few photos.

This photo is looking towards the rear of the house directly where the shop will eventually be located. Doghouse is to your right

Clearing begins:

Doghouse gets moved:

New location

Doghouse formerly sat just beyond the stump in the photo below.

I’ll provide more updates soon.

TEASER: Building is up, they just started siding yesterday :grin:

3 Likes

My gob has been smacked. Can’t wait to see it complete!

WOW!!

Is that you on the Cat, or did you hire someone for a day or two? I hope the latter; if you own your own Cat I’ll start wondering where I went wrong in life…

Are you having it built, or…? With an impressive design like that I figure you might also have your own construction company!

Feelin like Bob, a bit loose in the well-smacked gob… Thanks for the update Dan!

All I’m seeing here is the dogs got screwed on this whole deal!

By a CAT! No less! :smirk_cat:

Still looking for the “little” white doghouse!!!
Running an excavator can be fun especially if nothing you wanna keep is close by!

Me TOO, Bob!! Love the photo, BTW.

Not in that photo, Cliff. My BIL owns the excavator and that is a guy that works for him. He did most of the clearing and grading for me and I pittled around with it on the weekends doing some additional selective clearing. I rented the dozier seen in some of the photos below. I hired a general contractor to pour the slab and build the shop. Its a metal building.

Rooster, the dog house was built about 24 years ago when we lived at a different house and we had outside dogs. The ones we have now stay inside for the most part. I think the only use it gets now is the cats think its a litter box :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Bill, we LIKE CATs, a lot, especially the big yellow ones :grin:

Pete, the doghouse may have already been moved by the time you read the thread :stuck_out_tongue: And yes, operaitng the excavator can be fun, just have to be careful, you can make a BIG mess, QUICKLY!!

Ok, let’s move along with this project. Once clearing was complete, the grading (playing in the dirt :stuck_out_tongue:) began, DUHHH.

The new driveway starts where the excavator is sitting in the right of the photo, just barely visible through the tree branches.

Doghouse sat about 15 feet beyond the orange barrel.

If you look closely at the pool in the photo below, you can see that it needs to be cleaned. When we were burning all the trees, the wind was blowing in that direction and the bottom is filled with ash :rage:

Construction begins. The posts are installed first, 4 feet deep in concrete.

We have concrete!!

And the building begins.

More updates soon.

3 Likes

That’s gotta be real fun Dan, seeing so much happen in such a short amount of time.

Cheers!!

OMGram …Your outta control Dan!

I don’t see the drain tile, seepage pit, or retaining wall/future roadbed in any of the pics Dan.
:innocent:
:sunglasses:

“Little doghouse in blue, rather large excavator in red! Doghouse bigger than some places I have stayed or slept in!:joy::joy:

Well its been a while. Between work and two hurricanes, one to our west and one to our east, we finally got the shops finished today. Now on to the driveway where I will need another 100 tons of stone and 75 yards of concrete for the driveway and a 12 foot concrete apron that will span from 2 feet either side of the roll up door in each shop across the front of the building. I also still need to run the underground electrical, water, and install the septic tank and field lines. Once all that’s done, it will be time to spread about 1000 cubic yards of top soil and then lay 40,000 square feet of sod. I got to hurry because the window to lay sod is quickly closing.

Here are a few updated photos:

Installing the roll up doors

Interior view

Finished photos

Still a long way to go

6 Likes

Amazing photos Dan!
Are you at risk for hurricane flooding?

Thanks, Bill. No, we were fortunate to be on the west side of Helene and only received about an inch of rain. We got over 3” from Francine who went west of us.

are you sure, that you only want a woorkshop and/or layout?
this seems big enough for a toy factory.

I’m jealous! That’s awesome Dan!!

Korm, if you knew how much junk Herself has, you’d understand the need for the large shop :wink:. Also, one can never have enough space :grin:

Thanks, Rooster. It’s been a long time coming and we are almost there. Once I get this project done, it’s on to the boy’s wedding preparations and then, if all goes to plan, the start of the layout, maybe :grimacing:

1 Like

Oh sure, Cliff builds a new shed, so you have to build a bigger one!
Clearly a case of shed-envy!