Large Scale Central

New Layout - New Reckless Experimentation

With respect, I remind the learned gentlemen that when asked if he were to rebuild the Gorre and Daphetid, was there anything he’d do differently, John Allen replied without hesitation: “I’d leave out the clouds.”

John,
I guess that probably is a matter of personal taste :wink:
Well done clouds really add to the background. I suppose poorly done clouds would really detract from it :slight_smile:
Ralph

Mik’s Irish Ales? I prefer pilsners and lagers and porters… anyway, Kim is the booze hound, buy a case and by the time I really want one they are GONE! - Plus two of her mutts probably need to go to DAA (AA for dogs! lol!!)

I’m glad you figured out a use for all that crap. I was tired of tossing it from box to box while looking for other things

Those tan Lionel “sewer pipes” make good vents and chimneys too.

AOK Mik’s Irish Stout. Personally I’m a Guinness man myself so thats why I’ll call it stout. But I do enjoy a good porter from time to time.

I’m not going to attempt to add any clouds until I can get some real practice at it.

Victor,
This is a technique my brother used on the back drop for his N-scale layout.
It turned out real nice.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7764437_paint-realistic-clouds.html

The thing to remember, is that mistakes can be painted over rather easily :wink:
Ralph

Another way to paint clouds is with a cardboard mask and some spray paint. I think Micromark actually has the stencils you can buy if you don’t want to do them yourself. the secret is to hold the stencil a bit away from the backdrop so you get a fuzzy edge. Works pretty good. you need a white for the top of the clouds and then something just a tad grayer for the bottom.

Little progress Eat At The Dog on the layout, but I’m not sure I might change its location with another building yet to build,

Added a tank (oatmeal container) outside the brewery

Added the freighthouse, its foamcore with wood trim, piko windows and Precision doors

Painted the rails, goes along way to giving the track a consistent look.

Thats all for now

Sweet

Victor Smith said:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/New%20Beginning%2023.JPG)

There’s plenty to admire in your work, Victor. You’re going to have a lot of fun operating this complex little pike! Do tell… That lokey back there and whatever you have behind it … Looks interesting… Is it a shortened LGB Helena? What all have you done to it?

Watching the dog brings back memories. When I was a kid I remember on Highway 395 (now Interstate 15) in Temecula there was a restaurant and filling station beside the highway. The sign on the hill said, “Eat and get gas.”

Doug Arnold said:
Watching the dog brings back memories. When I was a kid I remember on Highway 395 (now Interstate 15) in Temecula there was a restaurant and filling station beside the highway. The sign on the hill said, "Eat and get gas."
OK, Doug. Now you've done it. I've got to tell this joke now... Jim, an old Donegal pal of my wife's, called me just yesterday eager to tell me this and I pass it along.. My wife, Noelle, is from Derry, and the way he tells his jokes invariably victimizes his neighbouring N. Irish county.

Jim: “John, did you know that a Derryman invented the fart?”
John: “No, I guess I didn’t know that, Jim…”
Jim: “Yes, it’s so. Now, do you know why he made them smell?”
John: “No, I guess I don’t know that either, Jim…”
(Pause)
Jim: “So the deaf could enjoy them too.”
(Pause while I crack up)
Jim says, “Make sure you tell Noelle!”
Jim hangs up, laughing.

John thats an HLW Mack I rebuilt as a little geared engine, I’ve built several varients on that platform, I call them my Whadahellizit engines

Looking good Victor.

Powerplant underway, foamcore walls, Piko windows, Precision Products doorway, strathmore and wood trimmings.

The bigest problem with large scale is thats its… well, so dam large! Layouts getting crowded. Adding corbeling:

Just strathmore museum board cut into rectangles, scored and bent and glued down, also added a cut up Marx tinplate bridge, I only paid $10 for it so its not rare, but dont tell any TTOS guys, I dont think they’d understand

Us indoor guys can get away with murrr-derrr compared to outdoor standards

Victor:

Power plants are among my favorite subject. I really like your interpretation of one, and especially like the adaptation to the available space.

Since you have a power plant, will you be installing some overhead wire? Electric locomotives were really adaptable to small spaces and tight radii.

Happy (Electric) RRing,

Jerry

Victor Smith said:
Us indoor guys can get away with murrr-derrr compared to outdoor standards
Thanks for your understanding. You're right; building that fabulous power plant of yours so it could withstand the weather would be a challenge, and would take a lot longer, I think. The photos of this structure made my eyes pop! Very nice indeed...

Some revisions and new additions: Moved to powerplant, fits better here, cut off the third floor, it was just too much, this may be turned into a different business, still deciding that.

New building , this originally was a brewery, but since I already have the Lucky Lager business, this will be a bottling plant Coca Cola or something like that.

The Dog will go back to its original spot, where I thought of placing it where I considered it was only a matter of time before it got damaged.

Finally, I found another ceramic building, a western themed building this time, needs a few repairs but it fits nicely in this corner.

Only one building left to add, and its going to be the toughest because the corner, next to the newest ceramic building above, is the trickiest to fit something into.

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Layout-New%20Direction%20Reduex%204-17-12.jpg)

Possible Long Term plan, eventually extend across the remainder of the garage, add a river wharf and an engine facility. The layout will eventually be modeled after the first railroad in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles and San Pedro railroad, which went from the port (swamp) to the city (dusty pueblo). although my port will more likely be a navigable section of the lower Colorado river but I still might make it somewhere along the rugged California coastline. This will take along time to do, need to consolidate an aweful lot of stuff to clear the area.

Feeling reckless again…

Big chance of strategy afoot. No major plan changes but a significant change in geography :wink:

Victor Smith said:
...since I already have the Lucky Lager business, this will be a bottling plant Coca Cola or something like that.
OK Victor, you got me going again on one of my idiotic compulsions - inventing corny names for industries. In my mind your bottling plant is now a dairy, sorry, but don't panic ;-)

Their trademark: Moocow Moolah.