Large Scale Central

New Layout - New Reckless Experimentation

Victor: You wrote: “…going to keep it simple… the track and operations aspect takes precedent over scenery … to have something fun to run trains …façade only buildings…”

I totally agree. All this is my philosophy, too. Your posting this build here will be a great inspiration to others who maybe just haven’t got round to it to get a wiggle on! Trains are 'way more fun on tracks with power than they are on the shelf !!! And realistic operation trumps roundy roundy every time, IMHO.

The Memorial to Carl is a terrific idea. He was one of the great ones; what a website he ran; good for you.

I like the Mex buildings. Ceramic, I suspect, they would weather exceptionally well outdoors as well. One suggestion, if I may, and no offense: on the white Mex bldg, paint the beige in those windows black to match any other empty windows you’ve got there. Top’em with gloss medium.

I love your work!

John Thanks :smiley:

Mik, are you kidding? I have only used two >>> 2 <<< of the windows you sent me. The rest will be needed for the freestanding buildings in the middle of the layout, havent had the strenth to begin them yet :wink:

Victor Smith said:
Mik, are you kidding? I have only used two >>> 2 <<< of the windows you sent me. The rest will be needed for the freestanding buildings in the middle of the layout, havent had the strenth to begin them yet ;)
Then I shouldn't worry about trying to find you more? OK

Yep, Thanks again, I think I’ll have enough now, between your Pikies and the few Precision Products stuff I still have left I should be able to do the 6 buildings remaining, they wont be flats - they’ll be full flushed and four sided.

Victor Smith said:
Updated track plan showing changes from original layout
I see the changes you have made in the western approach to your wye and how you flipped the crossover in your inbound & outbbound yard tracks. Both changes are real good thinking. :)

I believe in making traffic movement as smooth and easy as possible, and both your changes accomplish that. To my mind, smooth & easy switching is just a whole lot more fun than those frustrating challenges some folks develop. IMO these puzzles may be intriguing at first, but only for a very short time until you realize that this is crazy! :frowning:

It doesn’t take long before I start longing for straightforward train operations again! But each to his own, right? :rolleyes:

If our trackplan is nice, efficient, and straightforward, as I think yours is now, we can always add complications and challenges to our ops when we want them without having built frustrating things permanently into our trackplans!

When we feel like complicating matters we can easily add a washout, a too-long train, a boiler explosion, :lol: an escaped elephant or triceratops, or some other kind of abnormal circumstance to whatever we’re doing.

Cheers!

Who has to add washouts? When I shot that movie of the layout I found 20 more feet of track that even the ballast slide away the washout cam so close. I have a porch on one building that the dirt has slide into the wash. When I built that wash I never expected that it would actually become a wash!That stretch of track is now closed.

“an escaped elephant or triceratops” John; Our triceratops (Trish) is very well-mannered and has no reason to escape. She enjoys being on the motive power roster. :wink:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/davemeashey/trish.jpg)

Oh, the dwarf signal can cause problems at times. It just serves us right for hiring Grumpy! Have fun, David Meashey

Some updates, backdrop painted and building flats in place: Starting from the staging yard:

The brewery, showing interior, for now it will keep the “Lucky Lager” sign, when I can make a custom sign it will be called “Mik’s Irish Ales”

Note to Mik: here’s where a lot of the “stuff” you sent me ended up

the other side of the brewery

looking into the corner

forced perspective insert, you’ll see a couple other background pics filling the gaps.

Looking at the other corner

Still have to build the mine building to fill this corner

Finally adding another storage shelf above, I really had to do this as once the backdrop was painted it was really overwhelming and very distracting, adding the shelf draws the eye back down to the layout level, and I really needed the extra storage space for trains.

that’s all for now.

I like it so far Vic. Sweet.

Theres still too much blue sky methinks, I need to paint/add some hills or something

Victor Smith said:
Theres still too much blue sky methinks, I need to paint/add some hills or something
Some clouds Victor ;) Ralph
Ralph Berg said:
Victor Smith said:
Some clouds Victor ;) Ralph
Some hills and clouds will probably do the trick....your cheap dollhouse fits in there quite nicely ......looks good Vic !

Thanks guys

I began spraying a hill profile onto the backdrop, the blue is just too overwhelming the layout. Using some red oxide primer. Should give it a more neutral background and help add to the depth of the layout. Pics this weekend

Here is a good treatise on painting a backdrop.

Basically, about halfway down, start streaking in white/off-white, down to the horizon. Then, if you are really brave, you can add some clouds.

Yup, Looks nice Victor, lots of action in a small spot.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/nicholas_savatgy/_forumfiles/good.gif)

Added some paint to the backdrop to give some depth shadows, and added some building photos printed on heavy cardstock. Seams to make a difference.

I really like the effect, and I will add some more printed building flats to the rear backdrop

The only trouble is finding pictures that are large enough and flat enough to be usefull. I’m trying not to reuse the same buildings twice but its not easy to find the right pics.

That looks great Vic.

That’s looking good Victor even if you can’t take it on the road. Rumor has it that your pizza layout got to be at the last Southwest show!

Yeah I know Doug. At least I got to participate in at least one of the all LS shows and be a part of the tradition going back to the days at the rusty boat show.

Victor, I still think you need a few clouds :wink: This would look great if you painted the street in the foreground to match the street in the backdrop. Ralph

Victor Smith said:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/New%20Beginning%2021.JPG)