Large Scale Central

New Layout - New Reckless Experimentation

Sorry John that building is likely going to end up a freight transfer facility. Here is the Master Plan, I am repurposing the layout as an full-on urban harbor terminal type line,

I have been fighting doing this for a long time, mostly just being pigheaded about keeping the desert theme, but I just could not make it work in my mind all the while the layout plan just screamed urban waterfront, I finally realized that most of my big stuff is not decaled for the Borracho line, just numbered. and that I had alot of stuff than would with very little effort, be convertable to the urban theme layout. what finally did it was reading this site one too many times: Industrial, Offline Terminal Railroads & Rail-Marine Operations of Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx & Manhattan; New York One day my mind just clicked (or is that snapped) “yeah, I could do this without any major surgery” so there it is… The boats will all be movable, just sitting on the surface, the aisleway water will be a fold down section that during ops will be kept down for layout access, and up for photo taking, the biggest single change will be switching from link/pins back to knuckle couplers, probably Bachmann’s Haven’t decided on a name yet, but the era will likely be post-war 1950’s just before these lines were beginning to disappear. No name yet, not really worrying about that, some ideas: Brooklyn South Rwy - keeps the BSR already on some engines or maybe something a little more unique: Gotham District Transfer Gotham Harbor Transfer As I said, I’m really not in a sweat over the name. So here we go

Victor, were you getting the boats from ?

Nick

Scratchbuild most likely, I built model ships for YEARS before I got back into LS, I was thinking from Strathmore cardstock most likely. I already have the Ted Stinson plans for the tugboat Arnold S, the rest will follow from other sources :wink:

Who says you can’t have fun in a small area!! Looking great Victor, just go for it!!!

Chuck

yeah, go for it!
(then i can learn from your mistakes for my harbor)

Now ya need some people! Or is it siesta time? :slight_smile:

After some feedback from the smaller scale guys familiar with dockside type railroads, track plan has been revised a tad to include a holding spur next to the transfer barge and a run around at the gantry crane spur

I should consider calling this the Spaghetti Central

Victor,
I think the BSR is perfect. I also hope you keep us up to date on the progress. This looks like a great track plan.
Is it all small (1200) turnouts?
What style/size equipment are you going to use.? 4 axle or 8 axle rolling stock?
What size/style engines?

Is there away to blow the drawing up to make it more reaadable?

It took me a long time to find the run around track. Is that the best place for it? It really only works for the wharf.

Ric, yep all R1s, dedicated engines for now are a Piko 0-6-0T, HLW Mack, a bashed Critter and a LGB Porter 0-4-0T. I plane to convert a couple more later, as these will all have Bmann knuckle couplers. Lucky for me I never tossed or sold off all the ones I aquired over the years.

Cars, well that’s where it gets interesting, I was planning to use mostly Bmann 20’ cars but the little buggers are now pretty dam expensive! So I am reverting back to using El Cheepo Scientific freight cars, they are about the same size, scale close to 1/24 and they modify very easily with Bmann trucks. But I have used all my stock spare trucks, and the ones I have left stupid me cut the coupler tangs off of so I could body mount link/pin couplers… D’oh!

Here is a larger format PDF copy, hopefully it is easier to read.

You said - " stupid me cut the coupler tangs off of so I could body mount link/pin couplers… D’oh!"

AndyC and I just had that conversation. I cut them off and he turns them to the inside and keeps them. So you don’t want any of my stuff, but Andy’s is okay. I have turned an HLW flatcar into a 1:20.3 flat car. I think the article is still in the LSC articles. Might work for you.

Victor Smith said:
Here is a larger format PDF copy, hopefully it is easier to read.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Layout-New%20Direction%20Reduex%20Track%20Update%2012-3-12.pdf

OK, I see them, now. Thanks.

Good design.

I was going to say, I see 3 run arounds.

Victor, if you put one more “run around” through your “Lucky Lager” building, you could have loads in and empties out. Like the mines and power plant stuff.

Couldn’t you add another switch or two somewhere?:stuck_out_tongue:

Steve Featherkile said:
It took me a long time to find the run around track. Is that the best place for it? It really only works for the [url=http://www.startrek.com/database_article/worf][b]wharf.[/b][/url]
Steve, there are actually two others, three others if you include the loop, four others if you include the wye ;)
John Le Forestier said:
Couldn't you add another switch or two somewhere?:P
I'm working on it :P

That is a really nice layout you have there. The track plan looks great, what software do you use to create that?

Hi Dave I use an old Autocad program. I suppose I could draw up a mega detailed 3-D version if I had the latest incarnation of Autocad but it is far too expensive right now but the old one is still serviceable.

Been studying harbor layouts again. Since I drew a suggested plan idea on MLS , kinda got some more ideas last weekend, top pic is the version based on the suggested plan, bottom version is based on a plan found on Carl Arendts scrapbook, modified into G, again all R1 curves. Both are self contained Harbor Transfer layouts complete with car float in/out service and could be an interesting ops layout in a small footprint:

Just to show another way to approach a self contained switching layout, the bottom version is a lot bigger but its based on a real facility in Bronx NYC.  Maybe its just me, but the more I study these the more I am surprised they are not more commonly modeled in any scale, the float operation is a perfect excuse for a small totally self contained switching layout with lots of action and a roundy-round option.