Large Scale Central

My indoor layout

There are advantages to having an indoor layout.

Very cool.

I have been so busy lately doing things for others…( Making money for the hobby) I have done little work on the indoor layout… I did cut the wood for the trestle bents a couple weeks ago. but finally got around to working o the bents themselves…

I hope to get the trestle finished soon so I can run the trains again…

Ty

Well the the base for the trestle was laminated with the luan plywood. It does not take a stain very well. So I started by painting the whole thing a brown figuring that the ties would hide the color. Well it does not. So next I figured I would cut a very thin piece of the cedar I was using and then glue it to the sides.
Then I remembered I had gone to Home Depot a couple years back and had bought a roll of Oak veneer for edges of you wood work. It was an Iron on type…
I still roughed up the exposed side the a 36 grit sandpaper. It was very easy to iron on and then cut to the proper width with a razor.

Very ingenious. Good job. Doc Tom

Hey looking through this thread again your gallows turn table caught my eye. What diameter is it?

Thanks Tom…

The turntable was made a custom lenght for me. The largest thing I have is a 3 truck shay. It is 31" long…

I got all of the ties colored and ready to install.
So I was trying to figure how to properly space the ties. On a curve the outside will be a little wider. I am horrible at algebra so I dropped back and used a compass.
I used the string to get the correct angle for each tie. The system worked really well.

Ty

I also made a small tool to make sure the ties wee placed correctly on the base…

Now that is sharp. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Landrel, you have a great looking layout going and you have obvious skill…which is why, at the risk of making anybody mad at me, I’ll take a chance on saying this: I think you need to do a better job of eliminating and/or disguising the seams in the 2" blue and pink insulation foam layers. I hope you aren’t offended.

edit: I meant the horizontal seams of course.

Thanks David…

John No offense taken… I am a long way from done. The whole layout will receive a 1/4"-1/2" coat White glue / sawdust . Everything seam will be lost. I am just getting all of the base down and elevations made and carved before the next step… I have a long row to hoe…

Ty

Next I spiked the rails on both trestles. I made a gauge to set the distance from the edge. I spiked one side the the other…

Ty

This is inspiring makes me want to get started on mine…nope not yet.

What a great job, It is so much fun building your own layout.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks Devon and Ron,

Once I had the rail all spiked I put the pieces in place and cut the rail to the correct length to match the layout…

Hi Landrel:

For the track gauge on the curves, is the track gauge the same as on the straights or is the gaugeon the curves slightly wider? If so, how do you calculate the increaswe of gauge for the curves?

Norman

Landrel Brown said:

Next I spiked the rails on both trestles. I made a gauge to set the distance from the edge. I spiked one side the the other…

Judging by the picture and the track gauges I’d say it’s the same as the straight sections.

Norman , Ken is correct there are no changes in the gauge in the curves. These are standard code 250 gauges that snap onto the track to give me the correct width between the rails…

thanks Ty

I then checked all the the bents for the correct length and went about setting them in place. I mixed up bowl of finely sifted sawdust and white glue. I marked the place for each bent and then placed a liberal amount of the mixture in the marked area and then placed the trestle bent in place. I aligned the bent an then held it vertically with clamps fastened to the trestle base. This was allowed to dry for 2 days…

Landrel,

Whats the purpose of the sawdust in the white glue? I use this often as a wood filler, but I am wondering why your doing it here?