Large Scale Central

Minimum Curve Radius -- Arsitocraft RS-3

Someone gave Kid-zilla a passion for AMTRAK…Someone else exposed him to the glories of e-Bay. A bit of internet sleuthing came up short, so I’ll ask it here. Would Aristocraft’s RS-3 manage our R1 / 2ft radius curves, if, say a group of uncles, aunts, and grandparents were to find one in time to appear beneath a Christmas tree? Asking for a friend…

Eric

1 Like

taken from the online manual

If the Streamliner will make the curves the RS3 will. Besides he can make an RS3 M then.

Doesn’t look like it. I checked my Aristo track list, and the 11500 are 5ft diameter. But it’s close.

Mine has always been a poor runner and has had problems with the trucks so doesn’t get used.

Eric,
Just a thought?

Yes, it would need a repaint and some mods which is perfect. It will do the R1 and R2 curves as well.

I think it may satisfy the “extended family” along with the boy at Christmas ! Plus he would have a solid repairable unit for many years. I think that the Christmas colors (bottom of page with 2 to choose from) might be a great start?

Only thinking out loud…and just my opinion?

https://charlesro-com.3dcartstores.com/Alco-S4-Diesel-Switcher_c_45.html

https://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtSW1.html

Thanks everyone. I don’t want to take the chance the RS-3 would fail on our tight curves. We are very, very close to creating a lifetime hobbyist / crafter / creator, and I do not want to repeat the saga of O.S.'s stupid railtruck ( Onward the Pequod – Getting a B’mann Railtruck to Work Permanently - Modeling / Motive Power - Large Scale Central) which cost me a hobby buddy and him a potentially lifelong hobby.

I know LGB has a narrow-gauge switcher in AMTRAK colors, but it seems to command a high price. I am pretty confident we can repaint pretty much anything else…if the intended recipient wants to repaint it!

I will pulse the clan.

Eric

Just pick one and call it done! Alco S4 Diesel Switcher
Boy’s got his diesel, family can see it run FLAWLESSLY on the layout and he can repaint it, mod it , DECAL IT and not worry about breaking/repairing anything for a few years!

No pressure !
:rooster:

do you know, if there is enough space between the chassis and the handrail for a playmobil?

asking for a figure…

1 Like

Not 100% positive but I’m going with a 99.9% sure YES.

You are a horrible, horrible influence! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mine does ok on 4 foot circle

1 Like

Thanks! Lots of options. Now to pulse the clan!

That hurts my feelings so it’s a good thing I just renewed my permit to carry them concealed!

It’s the boys dream job to be a throttle money for Amtrak I can sense it! Just listen to the Amtrak power!

Buy it and break out the chainsaw :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m voting for this unit myself mainly because of the number.
https://charlesro-com.3dcartstores.com/store_r22566.html

I would like to see what #12 looks like when “he” turns 12. The color also seems to currently fit with the overall theme of the railroad and could certainly be modified over time. Not to mention it will be an absolute hit for the elders of the family.

Then after the newness wears off he “WILL” decide to add mods like head end power, ditchlites, snow plow, gen set with fancy exhaust stacks, cab crapper, dynamic braking fans and cantilevered radiators with more fans above them along with one or several repaints just like the 1:1 big boys do.

Or he could just acquire another unit or two (for heavy lash ups) leave them in the current paint schemes then just slap Amtrak badging on them and call it done. The boy has enough stickers and if not just have him ring up 1-800-Roo-Ster.

Whats great about that is I’m sure that solid little USA trains unit will survive and can be passed on to his children only so they can do their OWN thing and model AMTRAK :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve owned three of the second generation Aristo RS-3’s. They were the best running diesels I’ve ever owned.

Running light, it will have no problem on R1 curves so long as not tight S curves. Using the stock knuckle couplers will be a problem on R1. especially with long cars. Converting to Hook-and-Loop should allow most rolling stock to follow through R1 curves.

I haven’t run my RS3 on such tight track as 4’ but it used to do okay on 5’ diameter curve. I have since widened that tight spot to a 6.5’ curve.
The RS3 was my first Aristo engine and I think the issue with it over tight curves and less than ideal track is the longer wheelbase. The RS3 truck is near 3 3/4 inch. A comparable USAT NW2 is just over 3"

Jon Radder touched on another issue, that the RS3 will derail the car behind it over a tight curve. I converted mine to hook and loops. I had to get creative with that and the problem has been solved but occasionally a derailment still occurs.

Here’s an alternative to consider. I have the Aristo center cab, which I refer to as an RS-3/4. Though it’s a shorty, it still has two power trucks. but should have no trouble on tight curves. Can’t find a photo of it, but its little cousin, the RS-5/8 can take even tighter curves.

Best, David Meashey

1 Like