Large Scale Central

MBTA 1011 (F40PH)

Bob McCown said:

1011 has been stored on the deadline in Billerica since mid-June.

Cabbage unit !

Jeff

You really don’t need screen and the fireman’s side of the intakes are shorter than then engineers side

jeff, bring it to the Amherst show in January!

I forgot just how good this looks!! Great work.

David Russell said:

Jeff

You really don’t need screen and the fireman’s side of the intakes are shorter than then engineers side

Edit for Fred because the bridge lacks the proper ties and guard rails which I’m fully aware of.

…and the fun continues! Sorry about the glare on the roof, its actually a satin finish.

I like it!

Much to the displeasure of the silver paint, the purple vinyl didn’t work out very well, so masking and painting was required instead. That said, aside from a few touch ups left to be made on the striping, I’m satisfied enough to move on to adding windows, screens, and final lettering. I’ll also be adding a few tanks and assorted appliances to the undercarriage when the time comes. The snowplow is at a very effective low height for plowing, but I feel its design is a bit short for the high-riding pilot of the F40PH…I may raise up the plow a tad just for aesthics.

Looking good Rockwall.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks Dave!

For a locomotive with a purple stripe all the way around…it somehow ends up looking pretty tough.

Larry O,

I agree about Springfield…I think there will be more than a couple kids very excited to see their commuter rail colors in largescale! While its not finescale (Or even particularly well painted) I suspect this will be well accepted in the Northeast! I just hope my “Boise Budd” RDCs will do her justice for now, as I have little time to build Comets or Kawasaki Bi-levels at the moment.

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

For a locomotive with a purple stripe all the way around…it somehow ends up looking pretty tough.

I think it looks great so far !

Thanks David!

It’s nowhere near as refined and detailed as your Amtrak model…but does win unique!

Looks great Jeff.

I too would love to see it @ Springfield!

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

Thanks David!

It’s nowhere near as refined and detailed as your Amtrak model…but does win unique!

Jeff

Models to me are like a good crockpot stew or soup. They can always be added to! I researched the 40 for around a year or more before I started building mine. MBTA has some unique 40’s like VIA rail. I personally would like to see the unit outside under natural light because I think the color looks great!

Slap some purple stripes on some streamliners and your set !

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said: The snowplow is at a very effective low height for plowing, but I feel its design is a bit short for the high-riding pilot of the F40PH…I may raise up the plow a tad just for aesthics.

NO you fill the void with junk !

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

The RCRR was handed a steep fine today from the FRA for running their F40PH on the mainline without having proper window glazing. We argued that the locomotive also did not have steps, lights, a fuel tank, and air tanks either, but that only seemed to make matters worse. At any rate, ex ATSF F3B successfully provided some electrical power to test the controls and traction motors on MBCR 1011. Aside from a cracked gear, which caused a bit of wobble on the forward truck, all went really well.

In contrasting David’s proto photo with my shot above, its clear to me that I need to paint the sill of my locomotive silver. While this is the frame of the model, it’s not really the frame of the real locomotive, but rather the bottom of the cowl. I think doing this will fill in some of the vacant space between the plow and sill. Unfortunately, the edge of the sill will need a bit more aesthetic prep work before becoming silver.

The RDC and the F40PH match up very well. I still have three more RDCs to dress up in MBTA colors. They will also have their frosted glazing replaced with tinted plastic. Afterall, these represent RDCs in a more contemporary scene after they were modified into push-pull coaches.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I Like It!

Looking good Rockwall(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Video of MBCR Inbound

Q

A little more progress was made this weekend! MBCR 1011 has freshly repaired gears and a temporary battery-R/C inside. Also did a few more paint improvements and I’m testing out the “T” logos for size.

Looks great Jeff!