Large Scale Central

Logging Caboose

I’ve needed a logging caboose for quite some time. I could use my odometer car, but it’s not quite the flavor I was looking for. I have 3 other cabooses, but they’re really for my regular freight trains. I wanted something with a different look for logging. After I saw Jack Thompson’s Hartford “Hobart Estates” model over at Jim Strong’s, I was convinced I’d like something similar. But, Hartford has a few issues. First, they’re not cheap. The kits are nice, but they’re not as sturdy as some of my other stock. And, Hartford doesn’t seem very responsive lately. All reasons to not do Hartford. But what’s left? I was trying not to spend any money and wondered if I could build something with what I had in the shop. Well, as I was looking around my shop, I took another look at an old low side gondola I had put together a few years ago from a Don Winter kit.

It’s a short car and doesn’t really fit in with with my current scheme of freight cars. I wondered if it could be the base for a caboose. I did some quick sketches and cut some boards for framing. I first framed out a side.

Meanwhile, I stripped the gondola of everything that didn’t look like a caboose base.

Another side was framed and I glued these in place.

I cut some braces for the roof and put them in place. A quick check was made to see how it might look with a 1:20 figure.

The scrapbox yielded some basswood that was just about the right size for the siding. OK, it’s not tongue-in-groove, but it contributes to the rough look I wanted.

A cupola was constructed and put in place. I painted some red where the window glazing would cover the wood.

I have no plans to detail or paint the interior. Next step is to make some doors. The ones on the end will be glued in place. I’m thinking I MIGHT want to make the side doors operational - it would be fairly easy to make them slide; but since I’m not doing any interior I may just glue them in place as well. Anyway, I’m rather pleased with how this is turning out - especially since I didn’t have to buy one thing new. It helps to have a stocked shop. :wink:

Works for me!

(http://zbd.com/photos/OnePoint20/No3/DSCF0416.JPG)

(http://zbd.com/photos/OnePoint20/No3/DSCF0419.JPG)

Bruce that looks great! That’s really nice work–and you cornered the market on machinist’s squares. So I have an excuse is stuff I do is out of square. Definitely give it a working door!

What did you use for wood? I’ve been thinking about that boxcab and how to make a curved roof. Poplar or basswood have a very uniform grain and are pretty soft.

Nice job! For my wood siding I use wood coffee stir sticks. Jerry

I COULD use a few more squares. :smiley: All of the wood is from the scrap box. The beams for the roof are made from cedar. The framing is redwood. I’d use stir sticks for siding, but I was trying to avoid buying anything extra for this one. Succeeding so far. I think the siding is basswood…looks like it anyway. Got all of the doors done today.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/RollingStock/LoggingCaboose/IMG_5190.JPG)

Nice!!!

Very nice. Those stir sticks (aka Skinny Sticks) are certainly a bargain. I just had my wife pick up four bags for a 7/8’s scale box car project that I hope to start this weekend. My local Lowe’s was getting rid of some 1"x6"x12’ cedar boards for half price. Most were in rough shape but I found two decent ones so I have lots of lumber for many projects to come.

-Brian

Looking good, Bruce. Paint it Allis-Chalmers orange and we can have twin cabins!

Did you make your doors open, Bob?

No. I originally had them opening, but I ended up gluing them shut. Saves on interior decorating.

Hey…I thought you were leaving for Philmont today?

I always liked the look of those Hobart Estates cabooses. Good job, Bruce!!

How do you guys get any use out of those “skinny” stir sticks? I’ve used them on a couple small projects, and most of them have been much too warped for anything as nice as car siding. Also, they come unglued easily - I suspect they have a waxy coating.

The most I ever use them for is flat car surfaces. Most are too twisty and crooked for anything else.

None have come unglued yet, but they don’t have a waxy coating either.

Most of mine are straight, they have no coating. To attach mine to a flat surface, I use double sided carpet tape across the middle. Then lay the sticks at a right angle to that, with glue on each end. The tape holds them flat till the wood glue sets up. Jerry

Ray Dunakin said:
How do you guys get any use out of those "skinny" stir sticks? I've used them on a couple small projects, and most of them have been much too warped for anything as nice as car siding. Also, they come unglued easily - I suspect they have a waxy coating.
That's odd Ray. I have used both Skinny and craft (popsicle) sticks quite a few times for projects. Most recently for a crate for my rail tractor. They glue up and paint great for me and I have never had one warp. I just picked up four bags for a 7/8's boxcar project. It could be they are using different local suppliers for different wood and processing. I get mine in bags of 75 from a Joanne's Fabrics.

-Brian

Some recent progress. I got the cupola all covered and then added the roof pieces. These are just thin strips of wood. I’ll be putting a covering on later. Got the paint on. Might need some more in a few places. I decided to build the railings out of some brass I had and then added a safety chain between them. I wish I had thought to use the drill press to drill the holes BEFORE I built up anything. Oh well, it’s not too bad. :wink:

(http://www.jbrr.com/pics/RollingStock/LoggingCaboose/IMG_5212.JPG)

I have to do the railings on the other end. Then it’s on to the roof.

Looks good. Seems the conductor is right pleased with it as well. From the camera angle, it looks like he’s expressing his displeasure at someone who dared insult the new car. :wink:

Later,

K

Probably some rivet counter by trackside shouted at him “Not enough rivets!”. :confused:

Looks good. Nice figure, who does him? Jerry