Large Scale Central

Lets see your train sheds

Why couldn’t you put building fronts along the side of one of those? Then you would have train storage and a town all in one structure

Devon

Here are some updated pics for you.

Here we see it all closed up. Note the bump out in the back. Transparent roof lets in a lot of light!

All opened up for business!

Now here is an inside shot for you.

Red wires go to switches to give power to the sidings . Cabeeses are in temp locations (clearance issue)

Bugs do a fine job of weathering for me. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

That’s a very doable project for the size and space I have available. At the very least for an engine shed if not for an entirely covered yard. The yard section does not touch my house so I might be able to start that section very very soon.

Nice Sean… do you do anything for moisture, bugs? Small circulating fan, light bulb?

Greg

Devon,

I’m also in a tight storage spot, and will be working this year on a storage barn beneath my narrow deck alongside the house. You don’t have the deck along your layout, but perhaps you’ll get an idea or two from this.

The exterior will have a rough backdrop of sorts, which will hide a lockable series of boxes. Here’s a couple model shots.

Cliff

Thats cool cliff.

Greg Elmassian said:

Nice Sean… do you do anything for moisture, bugs? Small circulating fan, light bulb?

Greg

Not really … the backer board ends shy of the sides giving vents the whole length.

Devon… Here’s a couple of images of the “train shed” under construction… But, 'tis now just a shed… Trains are gone…

That’s very nice Stan. Which that was a possibility.

My train shed is part of a system developed to prevent having to pick up cars and locomotives to transfer them from inside the house to outside on the railway. Engine facilities are inside the basement. The engines with a caboose run out a vertical window, go around a loop, and back up to the train shed to pick up cars. The shed is located at the back of the house underneath a 5 foot tall crawl space. This provides a rather weatherproof area, although the shed is clad with outdoor siding to protect against high winds with rain. The shed holds up to 6 eight-car trains.
There is a center roof support with cutouts to facilitate reaching cars on the three back tracks. To save money I used square wood runners to substitute for track…no adverse issues with this approach. Due to its location underneath the house there is no need for venting. The shed was constructed in 2009 and I have had cars in the shed since then (year round) with no problems of any kind.

Click on photos to enlarge…

I’m trying to post photos of my train storage but no luck, what I’m I doing wrong.

I am in the process of building a car barn. I poured a 4 foot x 12 foot concrete slab a while back. There will be five storage tracks in the barn spaced seven inches on centers. Here is an overview of the car barn area. The tracks on the left are the outer loop (in work) and the track on the right is the inner loop (also in work.) The car barn will be accessible from either loop.

Here is a close-up shot showing the switching lead into the car barn. The single throat leads into a #4 wye. All subsequent switches for the five tracks are #8.

I installed foundation bolts into the concrete slab when I poured it and plan on building standard 16" tall stud walls using pressure treated 2’ x 4’s for the sills, studs, and top plates. I’m not sure yet what I’ll use for wall sheathing, but the roof panels will be poly-carbonate corrugated panels. I’ve already run power to the slab (vertical gray conduit at the rear) so I will be able to charge batteries in the barn. I’ll post additional photos as the construction progresses.

Bob

Louis Sommers said:

I’m trying to post photos of my train storage but no luck, what I’m I doing wrong.

Well a couple of things. Are your photos stored online somewhere such as your freight shed here or photobucket or some online hosting source. You need a URL. Thats the first step. Then you need to copy the URL (not the picture itself but its web address) and open up the little picture icon on the reply box that looks like a mountain and sun. Past the URL where is prompts you to. That should work. I have posted a tutorial on it here:

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/24934/picture-posting-tutorial

there is another one here

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20241/picture-posting-help-for-rick-marty

Thanks Devon. I’ve posted photos before but now I"m not having any success.

Well without knowing what you are or are not doing its hard to diagnose.

Here is a Google Earth view before the trees greened-up that shows the location of the car barn relative to the rest of the layout (I posted a couple of ground level photos earlier that shows the 4’ x 12’ concrete pad where the car barn will be built.)

That’s my house at the upper left and my shop building at the lower center-right. The block wall that surrounds the layout is the strange-shaped oval between them. If you imagine a line from the corner of the house to the corner of the shop, it goes right over the concrete pad. You can clearly see the concrete pad and the approach ladder tracks on the right of the pad. I thought you might be interested in seeing the size of the car barn relative to the size of the layout.

Bob

Louis Sommers said:

Thanks Devon. I’ve posted photos before but now I"m not having any success.

Louis. Here is what I done.

Went to frt. shed and clicked on one of my files.

In my file I had this photo. I clicked on this photo and using Firefox, it opened up a new browser that showed my photo.

I copied the URL at top of the browser. " That is the link it is showing me.

I got out of that browser and opened a new browser and went to LSC.com links these post we are on now.

At the bottom of this post it show a reply box so you can post what you want to say. That is where you been post your text.

At the top of the reply post box, it shows a group of icons and boxes. The one we want is a box that has a little mt. in it … Put your cursor over it and it shows “insert/edit image” Click on it. Up will come a place that says source. That were you paste the URL of your photo.

Your photo with showing up now.

You can also size it by dragging the sq corner small boxes to make it smaller or larger photo.

“See two sizes i did.”

Hope this helps with showing one of our photos.

Try to keep your photo size 800 X 600 Pixels or smaller and should have no problems with post photos.

This is one way of posting a photo. There’s a few other ways that are more or easier to do with differ browsers.

Smaller

Louis Sommers said:

Try these instructions…

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20241/picture-posting-help-for-rick-marty

Your pics are a tad large, I gave up waiting for the second one to load… Firefox; Open your pic in storage, right click and Copy image location, paste that in the pic icon box then ok.

We suggest 800 pixels wide, though some like to let the software compress them, but my connection is slow and my patience thin.

John