Large Scale Central

Jim Rowson's 2018 Mik challenge log

I’ve decided to try building some more cliffhanger-style worker shacks for the Durango & Jasper.

I chose to draw my concept on tonight’s pizza box:

Black == rocks, green == decks and stairs, red == shack

Here’s the destination rocks: the one in the center and the one behind it to the right.

I’m hoping to build some stairs and have these 2 shacks connected to each other so they are sort of a single structure, possibly with the steps going up over one to get to the other.

We’ll see how far my 53" of 2x4 redwood will go :slight_smile:

Cool I love cliff hanger builds can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Love the pizza Box…

Oh yah… The build will be neat too.

This one looks like it will keep us on the edge … of a cliff(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif) Cool idea, Jim. What kind of pizza did we have tonight?

Thanks guys. 1/2 double pepperoni and 1/2 sausage/black olive. Very inspirational.

I prefer ham and black olive, but sausage is ok.

Cool, just as long as you don’t put any pineapple on it…the pizza that is.

Progress (a bit)!

Turning my “2x4” (which is actually a 1 x 5 right now) into smaller pieces (1/4 x 1/2 and 1/4 x 1/4):

Which are then turned into a pair of 7" square platforms:

And they look ok to me in their final resting spot:

w00t!

Been out trying to understand the details about how these 2 platforms will be related to each other. Trying to get things level and in a close to final position. That will help me figure out where to put stairs, the placement of shacks on the platforms, etc. Here are a few pics with the platforms clipped into place and sort of level :-):

Above is straight on over the other shack that is already there. Moving to the left:

I’m thinking that the shack on the lower platform will be close to this edge, and close to the other platform. Coming down from the nearest corner of the lower platform will be stairs to the rock below. That will be the “main entrance” to both shacks (i.e. closest to the stamp mill and town where these folks presumably work and play).

The shack on the upper platform will be near the lower platform and near the “front” large cliff toward the left. Stairs to access the upper platform will be off the lower platform.

Moving around to the right:

Stairs from the lower platform to upper will come off the near corner of the lower platform and go up to the right front corner of the upper platform.

Meanwhile, coming from the middle near side edge of the lower platform will go off toward the right, possibly with an intermediate landing. Out of the picture to the right is the outhouse for this group of shacks, so we need some way to get there :-).

Does any of this make sense? Maybe I need to draw on these pictures to show things more clearly in case someone wants to give me some sage advice.

Cheers!

About as clear as mud, Jim (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif). Seriously, I understand exactly what you are trying to do. I think the flow of the stairs will look good on those rocks.

Jim Rowson said:

Stairs from the lower platform to upper will come off the near corner of the lower platform and go up to the right front corner of the upper platform.

I’d steal this idea for my stairs and platforms build if I understood what you is sayin’.

Thanks Dan. John: I’m not sure if I understand what I’m sayin’ :-(…

Rely on your inner vision, you’ve set the stage. The less you say, the easier to grow as it tells you.

John, I love how you are the zen master of garden railroads :-). What I’m hearing is: looks plausible, don’t waste too much time trying to explain it. That works for me!

Meanwhile, John Passaro’s request for help on ladders and stairs has generated a huge amount of useful info for me. Thanks John and those who replied, notably Boomer.

Jim Rowson said:

John, I love how you are the zen master of garden railroads :-). What I’m hearing is: looks plausible, don’t waste too much time trying to explain it. That works for me!

snip

I built my railroad with no plans, I knew where It wanted to go and various combinations of available track determined the layout …

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

Got the lower shack framed, started on the upper.

Ahhhh Jim… You do know that we have 30 days to Finnish don’t you?

We always expected Vic S. to get done first, H*ll fe even did three builds in one year. But you’re giving him a run for his money…

LOOK!!! >>>> A squirrel!!!

hehehe…good stuff

Looking good, Jim. It’s hard to believe you are going to make all that beautiful redwood look like a mere shack. What a shame (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)Heck, what am I talking about, I made windows for an engine house a couple years ago out of black walnut and cherry. We use whats we got.

Now now, no fair distracting me. Wait, THERE’S A SQUIRREL? WHEEEEEREEEEE!?!