Large Scale Central

Jim Rowson's 2018 Mik challenge log

Dave Taylor said:

Ahhhh Jim… You do know that we have 30 days to Finnish don’t you?

We always expected Vic S. to get done first, H*ll fe even did three builds in one year. But you’re giving him a run for his money…

LOOK!!! >>>> A squirrel!!!

Haha if you could only see where I’m at you might not laugh at that Dave… wait a squirrel? WHERE?

OK, the squirrel disappeared so I did some more work on the shacks. To start with, I finished the framing for doors and windows.

The big question for today was: how the heck do I build a peaked roof? I’ve never done that before.

I went this way: 1/4 x 3/8 joists, notched to fit over the base room area.

Looking like this when test fit:

I attached the end joists to the main structure and then am building the rest of the joists plus roof base separately so I can remove the roof for now (need to put lighting in here later).

Here it is in place (the other half of the roof is drying):

And a bit further back so you can see how it fits in the rest of the layout:

Since I work and can’t do much during the week, that’s 3 out of my 11 work days (if I understand the schedule correctly).

Still to do: finish the roof on each, apply siding, put down planking on the deck, and then the next big unknown: stairs.

Seems maybe doable if I am efficient and don’t screw up very often. We’ll see what happens.

Happy Mik’ing!

I am loving this. On my out door layout I have a place for some cliff hangers. I was thinking singles but I really like the enter-tie of the two buildings at different levels set at different angles.

Jim Rowson said:

OK, the squirrel disappeared so I did some more work on the shacks. To start with, I finished the framing for doors and windows.

The big question for today was: how the heck do I build a peaked roof? I’ve never done that before.

I went this way: 1/4 x 3/8 joists, notched to fit over the base room area.

Looking like this when test fit:

Coulda fooled me, Jim. Looking at those roof joists, it looks like you’ve done that a few times before. For a first timer, you did a heck of a good job.

Thanks guys.

The other inspiration for me (besides Dennis Rayon’s cliffhangers - link) is this video of a fishing village. I like the various levels, colors, roof treatments, etc. So this approach is meant to be the unholy offspring of those 2 inspirations.

[sorry, the video disappeared when I went to make a minor edit… will repost]

We’ll see how it goes as I expand this village. I have spots for 3 more (maybe more if I like it) shacks.

OK, here’s the video of the fishing village:

Jim that is a real inspiration. That fishing village is just the kinda thing I see my micro to look

Today was getting the roof base done for both shacks, and concentrated on getting floors and walls on the smaller, lower shack.

I’m going board and batten for the lower shack. My first time doing that. Only have the batten on one wall. Hopefully it looks ok.

The current plan is to use wet-or-dry sandpaper for the roof on the lower shack, and wood shingles for the upper shack.

Jim

Looking very good, as you know I love those cliff hanging structures. This is going to be a fun watch.

Dennis

These look great! I really like how you framed in the buildings and applied actual board and batten.

Looking real good Jim - nice precision cuts.

Kicking it Jim…and I heartily approve of your pizza choice!!!.

Nice looking building Jim

Today’s work was dedicated to more work on closing in the walls: finishing the lower shack, starting the upper.

I’m not totally thrilled with the board/batton. Some of the battons are askew. Maybe I can fix that.

Here are the 2 walls finished today (I’m not going to bother with the back wall as it is going to be against the upper shack and away from close view):

And here’s a close up of how I’m doing the clapboard. I hope it is close enough to pass muster. The plan is to put some 1/4" angle styrene over the corners. I suspect that’s not prototype, but at this point, it’s what I’m doing.

Happy Miking!

Again Jim Looking Very Good, I am sure you have thought of this, please have it fully installed for final picture, this will mean so much more when set up where you plan to have it mounted

Great job

Dennis

Dennis:

I particularly appreciate it when you (who near as I can tell invented this genre of structure, or at least named it) give me positive feedback. Thanks!

And yes, that’s the plan. Half of the charm of these things is how they are perched on the cliffs/rocks. Plus, I need to make a bunch of stairs (I"m a sucker for stairs for some reason. Lots of apparent visual complexity or something), and those need to be part of the build (assuming I figure out how to make them).

Thanks!

Jim that clapboard is just great. Tedious to say the least. Nice job.

Those are great looking “Cliff Dweller Shacks”, Jim. Leave the wonky battens be, it gives the buildings character.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I second Dan, Leave the catty whompus battens. If I was hanging of the side of a house on the edge of a cliff hammering in battens mine might be a bit off also.

The buildings are looking great Jim! I really like your clapboard siding and will steal your idea someday. We used to either cut the boards on a 45 at the corners (difficult in real life much to model) or cut a cap for inside and outside corners as well as where the siding ended. You could do this by putting a square or L shaped piece of wood on the corners. However you decide I know it will look great!

Steve