Large Scale Central

I'm not dead, just woodworking!!!

Marathon Cribbage; good for 1 snow storm! How many cups of hot chocolate equals one game?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I can’t say I’ve ever seen one so long and a triple runner to boot.

Nice use of firewood!

John Caughey said:

Marathon Cribbage; good for 1 snow storm! How many cups of hot chocolate equals one game?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I can’t say I’ve ever seen one so long and a triple runner to boot.

Nice use of firewood!

Its regulation length 121 holes. Now the triple track is so you can play standard 2 person, 4 person pairs, or 3 handed. The reason it is so long is my spacing is a little wider than normal and it is a single go round where many boards are twice round.

Devon Sinsley said:

Here is the latest…

If you make another one of these I’ll buy it off of you, or trade you something for it.

Notice to LSC Members…I may not be much of a g-scale modeller, but I learned cribbage at the age of six from my uncle who was a priest and head of Catholic Charities in Omaha, learned from him and his scotch-and-milk drinking priest buddies, and if we ever play I will kick every single one of your asses!!

Probably John, since I have no idea how the game is even played.

All I ever learned from my uncles is how to ignore a nephew…

John Passaro said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Here is the latest…

If you make another one of these I’ll buy it off of you, or trade you something for it.

Notice to LSC Members…I may not be much of a g-scale modeller, but I learned cribbage at the age of six from my uncle who was a priest and head of Catholic Charities in Omaha, learned from him and his scotch-and-milk drinking priest buddies, and if we ever play I will kick every single one of your asses!!

I learned from my father who learned from his father and then perfected my game with my father-in-law who played damn near every day on his lunch break and who learned from his father who did the same damn thing. I would love to take you up on that challenge. Sir.

Last minute project. I was going to make my niece a nice turned cookie jar with the lightning wood burned pattern in it. But at the last minute my ShopSmith motor gave out. So needed to come up with something for our white elephant gift exchange. She lives in a tiny house. So the prerequisite for any present for her was that it had to be both functional and decorative. So I decided on this knife block. It is a wall hanging block that holds five knives. It is hinged at the bottom and secured with chain at the top. It opens to a 45 degree angle to access the knives and then folds up and is secured by a magnet when closed. Saves on precious counter space. Made from pine and redwood.

The wood burning is the first attempt at using my newly built Lichtenberg wood burner made from a microwave transformer. Very cool device, if not a bit scary to run in a wood shop. 1200 volts with lots of sparks, smoke, and flame. But once I got over the initial fear of catching my work shop on fire, it was fun to play with.

Here is my daughters Christmas present. 4" copper pipe that I hand cut the pattern into with needle files (about the best thing I could find to do it after many false starts). Then it was aged in a gas chamber with ammonia and salt. The base is made from commercial moldings combined together and painted with hammered metal paint. Finally it is lit with an oil burning lamp.

You creative types really make me sick!

Color me impressed!

That is screaming a 5 color paint scheme …or at least pick out the detail in paint.

Wait…Christmas was 2 days ago ?

That is REALLY creative! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I will admit rooster that the base was hurried. I would have like to come back on the base and pick up the blue of the copper down on the base. But i literally was putting on the last coats of paint on Christmas morning.and yes it was a present. I forgot to take pictures so had to have my daughter take some for show and tell.

Great looking projects Devon! I recently made 3 crosses for my aunts funeral for my cousins. When choosing the wood for them I considered using redwood and pine but wasn’t sure how they would look. Now I know they would have looked good together.

That oil lamp is outstanding! Can you explain what you mean by needle files? I’m always interested in new techniques and mediums to work with.

Steve

or Needle files @ Amazon

Steve Borges said:

Great looking projects Devon! I recently made 3 crosses for my aunts funeral for my cousins. When choosing the wood for them I considered using redwood and pine but wasn’t sure how they would look. Now I know they would have looked good together.

That oil lamp is outstanding! Can you explain what you mean by needle files? I’m always interested in new techniques and mediums to work with.

Steve

Steve,

Redwood and pine are an awesome color combination in my opinion. The red and creamy yellow just look great together, nice but subtle contrast. As for the oil lamp. So i took a 6" piece of 4" copper pipe and made a stencil on my Cricut in vynal. I laid that on the pipe to use as a guide. I tried a dremal with both a carbide and diamond bit and just smoked them in short order. I was looking for a saw blade of some sort but really couldn’t find anything I thought might work. So I figured I would give my needle files a try. Drilled a hole large enough to insert the file and just went to work. I used the half round and the one that tapers more like a knife blade the most. Too a long time. Below is the the exact file set I have from K&S metals. I used duct tape rolled onto the ends to form handles cuz its hell on the palm of your hand. After all the cutting I used 220 grit sand paper and went over the pipe removing all the oxidation and oil from my hands. Rubbed it down with alcohol. Then I have a rubbermaid container with a wire “rack” (wire woven through drilled holes in the side) in it about 2" off the bottom. I soak paper towels liberally with clear straight ammonia. Then mix a batch of salt water in a spray bottle. As much salt as will dissolve in the water (there should be undissolved salt in the bottom of the bottle). Then completely soaked the pipe with the salt water and then sprinkled on coarse sea salt. Put that in the fume chamber for 24 hrs. And what you get is an awesome blue patina. There are techniques to make different patterns and results one of my favorites is to use mustard to prevent the patina from forming in certain spots. You can also put a vinyl stencil or tape on it to prevent oxidation in certain patterns. Any way thats how I did the chimney.

Devon, many thanks for the detailed explanation! Wow, I knew the chimney had to take some time to make but I am extra impressed now. I was picturing those needle files but I thought no that would take too long. lol

I ended up using heart redwood and some redwood boards from the outer layers that I found that were all white for my crosses. I clear coated it all which made the heart wood even richer red and the white wood a light honey color. It gave that contrasting colors look I wanted and actually looks like 2 kinds of wood.

Sean, thanks for the picture!

Steve

Yeah redwood sap wood is a nice color also. The redwood infer has little sapwood.

Cool stuff Devon! The lightning work is scary cool! Can you show us the setup? I am not sure how to apply it to the Mik’s challenge but i am sure you will find a way.

Um well I could show you but there is not much to see. It’s a wood box mounted to the wall with a switch and a couple of wire leads.

I won’t show anyone how to make it. YouTube it. I don’t want to be responsible for someone’s death. People have gotten seriously hurt and even dead doing this so the rumours go. It is scary cool though. Maybe I’ll take a vid of it in action. 1200 volts flame sparks smoke fire. In a wood shop. It’s cool.

This is the last of the 2017 woodworking projects. A very somber gift, literally made with blood sweat and tears, for my nephew James. He died on December 8th, 2017 at the age of 26. I had the privilege of making his internement box. Made from blood wood and spalted maple. RIP James.

On a brighter note the shop for the most part is back to being organized. This was what it looked like after I sold both my work benches.

Now it looks like this after building the new bench and cabinets.

And here is my Christmas present

Not brand new but much newer than my old 1972 version. Way nicer saw. Runs smoother, quieter, and the fence is 100 times better. Just in time for making a 2X4 into scale lumber