Large Scale Central

I'm not dead, just woodworking!!!

Nice work Devon! Since I am basically self employed now and that can be feast or famine I have started a re-purposed goods on the side. I, like you, have been working with different materials. It keeps me from getting bored doing the same thing and it challenges my skills.

Hope your health keeps improving and you keep sharing your fine work!

Steve

Steve Borges said:

Nice work Devon! Since I am basically self employed now and that can be feast or famine I have started a re-purposed goods on the side. I, like you, have been working with different materials. It keeps me from getting bored doing the same thing and it challenges my skills.

Hope your health keeps improving and you keep sharing your fine work!

Steve

Thanks Steve. Lots more to come. I am learning about some new techniques that i am hoping to put into practice. I have been working with wood for a long while and glass as well. But now I am learning about acrylic casting and want to get into that, mainly using it to stabilize wood but also all by itself. Candles are a new thing, and have some ideas for that. I am also learning to mess with aging and coloring metals. And the newest thing I just learned about is Lichtenberg wood burning using a microwave transformer at 2000v. You should be seeing the results of all of these things in the days and weeks coming before Christmas.

The idea will be to marry all of these materials and mediums together to form truly unique items. Set myself apart for the rest of the people.

Devon, don’t worry. We are all set apart, that’s why we migrated here.

David Maynard said:

Devon, don’t worry. We are all set apart, that’s why we migrated here.

YES …YES …welcome to LSC !

Lol where the quirky and down right strange come to meet

Lol where the quirky and down right strange come to meet

Sounds really cool Devon, cab’t wait to see it. I have been looking into the Lichtenburg wood burning method too. I would like to do some designs and incorporate them into larger pieces.

Steve

Just got my microwave and all the parts I need to construct my Lichtenberg fractional wood burner. I also have most all of the parts I need for my vacuum pot for creating wood/resin blanks. I also just got the chucks for 1/4 and 1/2 router bits for my Shopsmith as well as the 1/2 shaper arbor. I already have a molding cutter. With those items and the ability to overhead and through table route/shape there wont be many profiles I won’t be able to make as long as I have the bits and cutters. I also purchased the power coupler for my shopsmith which now will let me purchase and run accessories like my band saw that I already have and a jig saw which i need.

Here is the latest. A tow truck for my great nephews birthday.

After my surgery I will have two and a half weeks off. I have no restrictions, I can do whatever I feel up to doing. So I will be out int he shop a fair bit. I have several Christmas presents to make.

Nice work my friend! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I have been looking at a lot of toy plans. That has never really been on my radar before. But they are fun and there can be some very detailed “toys” which are more or less wooden models. Well I came across some very cool g scale trains. I have an Annie drive that just is begging to be made into something. I think it would be way cool to build a wooden loco over that drive. Make a Christmas train out of it. Or run it at club events.

Nice work and a great destination for it, you’re excused from RR projects as long as you remember your roots here with your Tribe!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I think it is American Woodworker has a set of plans for a whole construction site full of equipment, it was a series they ran a year or so ago, they may still be adding stuff on, I remember a bulldozer , a grader , side dump truck and low boy trailer, crane and other things. I will root through my old magazines to see which it is.

That would be worth buying back issues of.

let me look and see if I have them still, I will send them if I do. or figure something out.

That would be awesome Pete.

Devon Sinsley said:

So here is the completed bottle set.

Here is the maple and black walnut stopper. Who knew wine corks were way larger in diameter than whiskey bottle corks. The commercial bases are too big. So I used the existing cork. Next time I am going to turn down a wine cork and make a much nicer base. The dots circles and dots are a blue colored pencil.

And here is a close up of the moose head on the glasses.

Not sure what I will be able to sell the set for. But I have about $10 bucks into it.

At least $50.00, maybe more. A good craftsman is worth it.

here is a little wine bottle stopper for a friend.

Looks great Devon. Sounds like you’re officially into the “after… surgery… two and a half weeks off… no restrictions, I can do whatever I feel up to doing” phase!

Well here is the latest work. My nieces boyfriend/fiance/husband/partner whatever he is has a birthday in December. He is Athabascan native and a beer drinker. So I etched him this glass with a traditional Alaskan design.

And my dad is making him a steampunk beverage dispenser and I cut the bottom off a bottle for him and made the bottle lid. It is made from blood wood and spalted maple and core drilled and cross drilled for ventilation.

Here is the latest. Not bad for what I was told was good for nothing but firewood. Black Walnut limb crotch with at least four distinct colors not to mention the multiple hues. This was for the train club gift exchange.