Large Scale Central

I give up being down

David, here in beautiful Deer Park, a 70% chance of rain means that it will rain 70% of the time. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

A 70% chance of rain here means, I can sit on the front porch and watch it rain a mile north, or I can sit on the deck, and watch it rain 1/2 mile south, and we’d nary get a drop…

Most days 70% rain means it most likely will evaporate before it reaches the ground.

This afternoon when I stepped out for round 2 it started raining on me! Without thunder, it felt nice so I distributed all the blocks I cut over the last 3 play days. I think I have all the supporting blocks, but there are still a couple of rail decks to cut.

Nothing is leveled nor are the planks tied together. I have all the splice plates cut, but didn’t have a count for the Spax screws to get. I use the 3/8 hex head screws because they are self tapping and my 1/2" drill pushes them in like butter!

Tomorrow is a shopping day anyway, Home Disappointment isn’t far off my route… I didn’t get as much done as I wanted, the thunder was convincing.

This end gets more detail, but a basic platform lets me set the grades first.

All the bricks go back to fencing.

John

Kinda wet today, I was powerless (by choice) but not without drive… I took on the tiny screws and fastened my tracks together. I find it helpful with sectional track to connect them all and then ‘shake out’ the kinks.

Above you can see the whole layout…

Yes the front plank will be doubled wider and I envision an ore chute and bagging station on the inner siding.

The ‘Dream’ is to have an open mountain from behind showing the inner workings of the mine.

At least the track is together and I have solidified my vision …

The plank walls in back come out and it will lighten up a lot.

Nothing was planned, I followed my dream …

Next finishing the bench work and moving the rock herd.

Thanks for looking.

John

i like your playground. it looks just as orderly, as my playroom does.

Korm Kormsen said:

i like your playground. it looks just as orderly, as my playroom does.

It’s mostly Remodel junk that I didn’t want to move twice; Out of the way and back.

Some rock will find it’s way on the deck for visual interest and the rest will form a rock collection around my saguaro cactus. The half circle there is ‘seen’ as a tall trestle and behind the cactus will rise ‘the total wrecked hill of quartz boulders of ore.’ That was how a friend described it to his friend John Vail, the property owner. Sits on a fault line…

Our friend Cliff did a hollow mountain, if I can get up the gumption, I want to show the inner workings on a Cut-a-way stage…

I still need to fabricate the High Line passing siding around the Narrows. Since it goes behind the wooden featured Narrows, it will share the heritage…

Happy Rails,

John

John,

You know I think your RR is one of my favorites. I mean there is the way your supposed to do it then there is yours. Yet your trains go around just as good as anyone else. And it just has the totally awesome rustic feel. Its simply great

yeah John while you guys cool off we get all the heat up here, and now we are getting the begginings of Monsoon season, so the humidity is now upon us, be careful, a physical Therapist hiking WITH 2 Dr’s died from heat stroke, the humidity doesnt allow the sweat to evaporate as easily and people overheat without noticing it. Gatorade will help a lot. Best advice I got was if you do not have to pee, you are not drinking enough.

If you get along with the local wildlife somewhat, sounds like you have learned from Ellie Mae Clampett. She got along with them also. If garder snakes show up in the yard, I catch them and deposit them down the street in a field. I first take them to show my wife. I am not sure I want rattle snakes that close, but whatever floats your boat is ok. I hope you wear shin guards all summer.

Happy 4th of July every one!

For today’s 100 degree exercise I set the grade on the reverse loop, I cut in the West high line switch for yesterdays activity…

I need to raise the car barn behind and re-position it so I can run a lead to it.

I’m thinking about Mount Total Wreck, a hill really, but an actual name of the mine. I want to show the interior as I remember it. I’m glad I went in before I got older and wiser.

The cross hatched bit perhaps will show half a train tunnel with it’s timber liner.

The mailbox; a barn or a blimp hangar. Tucson had one of the first public airports. True fact.

John

Ron Hill said:

… sounds like you have learned from Ellie Mae Clampett…

Holy smokes, an Ellie Mae Clampett reference! You know we’re a bunch of old guys when we start pulling stuff like that out of the hat … and, worse, everybody knows what you’re talking about. One of us needs to model the Clampett “limousine.”

Actually, I’d love to see it tooling down a side road on Johnny C’s layout!

Don’t hold yer breath!

I let it pass once, didn’t expect the pic… Thanks Mr. P.

Diss is a gonna be fine art!

The yellow a trestle, but I’m also having a mental tussle for a steel bridge with many 4 sided towers, ala Georgetown loop or the curved bridge at Bringham Young’s mine. Silver soldered brazing rods… The vote for that is using ballasted deck and down playing the track.

The green is the hill where the Total Weck mine is and the blue an ore tipple.

John

PS; my reference would have been Walter Brennan and the Real McCoys; ‘Now Lucas you leave them snakes alone!’ ‘Snakes’ is kinda wet with out his teeth in… lol

The truck is based on a 1921 Oldsmobile Model 43-A touring car. The Model 43-A was powered by a 43-horsepower 4-cylinder engine and rode on a 115-inch wheelbase. The $1,445 touring car was considered medium priced when it was new.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Joe Zullo said:

The truck is based on a 1921 Oldsmobile Model 43-A touring car. The Model 43-A was powered by a 43-horsepower 4-cylinder engine and rode on a 115-inch wheelbase. The $1,445 touring car was considered medium priced when it was new.

I almost Boomered this thread last night, I left the pics… but I’m done here. I might add pics to the folder, but…

Geez some people…

Yeah, on second thought, your railroad is shaping up waaaaay too nicely to let a bunch of hillbillies in. Talk about going off topic…it’s my fault, John. Please keep the pictures coming.

John Caughey said:

I almost Boomered this thread last night, I left the pics… but I’m done here. I might add pics to the folder, but…

Geez some people…

What a sore head. It must be the heat. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I thought thread drift was mandatory by page 3, if not sooner. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

David Maynard said:

I thought thread drift was mandatory by page 3, if not sooner. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

and i thought, the tradition demands of us

serious answers on page one

arguing and bitching on page two

derailing thread and beating dead horses on three

rerailing on page four ff. …