Large Scale Central

CVRR Concrete bridge over Susquehanna River

Yeah, I can’t wait to set in in place either!!! It’s really cool as I have wanted a concrete viaduct since I started planning my RR. Just couldn’t figure out how to make one that would suit all my needs and be light enough to move. The PVC board worked out real well is very durable and should not require hardly any service. It was easy enough that anyone with a table saw/chop saw and a screw gun/nail gun can make one. I know I broke my budget on this one(about $23/ft and it’s 13’ total) I was planning on only doing one finished side and using PT decking on the surface. However I’m glad I spent the extra money and tooled around different material suppliers finding what I needed.
Ralph, my shop is only a 12x20 shed that is actually an L shape as there is an 8x8 section sealed off storing wood pellets for my stove. I really need the whole shed as I have too many tools(well???)

David,
I just moved my project to the dinning room table. Summer time work shop is an outdoor picnic table.
I’ve got about two months I can’t work on anything. Too cold to work outside and the wife won’t turn loose her dinning room until after the holidays.
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
David, I just moved my project to the dinning room table. Summer time work shop is an outdoor picnic table. I've got about two months I can't work on anything. Too cold to work outside and the wife won't turn loose her dinning room until after the holidays. Ralph
This is why I saved up and purchased this shed 2yrs ago...best darn thing I ever did!!! I was in your shoes a few years ago!

Wow, that looks fantastic!

Great bridge the structure should be extremely strong and durable. I have some questions
1 How did you lay out the arch?
2 What is the span of the arch?
3 What is the overall height of the bridge?
4 What glue did you use and are you concerned about it soaking in a river?
5 tuff board comes in 8’ lengths, did you consider arching the board without cutting it into individual arches?
I would worry about water being trapped and freezing inside the bridges as well.
Beautiful work. and very inspirational. I think I will attempt something similar. Thank you for sharing

It’s been a day. When does it go outside? :wink:

You should be able to get some great pictures with that - I suspect it will be a favorite railfan site for years to come.

Bill S said:
Great bridge the structure should be extremely strong and durable. I have some questions 1 How did you lay out the arch? 2 What is the span of the arch? 3 What is the overall height of the bridge? 4 What glue did you use and are you concerned about it soaking in a river? 5 tuff board comes in 8' lengths, did you consider arching the board without cutting it into individual arches? I would worry about water being trapped and freezing inside the bridges as well. Beautiful work. and very inspirational. I think I will attempt something similar. Thank you for sharing
1...I used a 1x2 with holes drilled in it at different intervals. I believe it was drawn out at 16" radius. I made a template out of scrap lauan. 2...The spans are 24" 3...O.H. is 12 5/8" (5/8" as trimplank was used for the top rail) OH to rail surface is 11.25" 4...Glue is Titebond and exterior paintable caulk and no as I'm going to sit the structure on brick or stone..haven't thought that far ahead the ground is frozen. 5...Tufboard comes in lengths up to 12 or even 16' I believe. Actually no I didn't as my initial plan was to make each section removable. This could have been done if I would have used 3/4" tufboard for my connecting frames but would have made for a lot more expense.
Bruce Chandler said:
It's been a day. When does it go outside? ;)
NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!! I'm still chuckling. Ground is frozen and the GREAT SNOW STORM we were supposed to get turned into sleet and freezing rain. I am gonna take it outside today as I need my shop back. It will sit next to the line until I can work the ground and rail. Probably not this week either as they are calling for a high of 15 this thursday.

Don’t you just hate that? Here you have this neat addition and the weather just isn’t cooperating. Luckily all that stuff missed us down here. Even so it’s still too long to spring.

So the weather was rather nice this weekend, I finally got it roughed in and I thought I would share a few shots. I did add just a basic look (faux)concrete wall extension giving me another 6’ of raised bridge.

Very impressive. It sure looks nice outside.

That’s lookin’ good. We need to get some water under that bridge :wink: .
I’m so happy that Spring is here. I watched the last bit of Monday’s snow melt away today :slight_smile: . Though I’m not crazy about these 50 degree temperature swings in 5 days.

-Brian

I really need you guy’s help on design…Look forward to seeing ya’ at York, perhaps talk about it then!
Thank’s for watching my threads as I always enjoy yours along with many others here.
Did I mention I’m approx 30min on a bad day North of the fairgrounds.
:wink:

I envy you guys who are through with Winter. I just got 3 inches of new snow!!! :frowning:

Well, we’re not through with it yet. Some of our worst storms have come in March. Just keepin my fingers X’d…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
Well, we're not through with it yet. Some of our worst storms have come in March. Just keepin my fingers X'd.....;)
Yeah...was it in 96 that we had that blizzard? I just remember 26" of snow in like 24hrs. March usually is our blizzard season. Steve, Hiking season is just around the corner. ;)

I remember being still able to strap on my skis at the local World Class Ski Hill and get in a decent run in August of 1997. I had to hike for it, though. Is that what you are referring to, David? :lol:

Steve Featherkile said:
I remember being still able to strap on my skis at the local World Class Ski Hill and get in a decent run in August of 1997. I had to hike for it, though. Is that what you are referring to, David? :lol:
Good Lord no....I just thought you liked to hike and was thinking spring thoughts that's all. I can't focus with you anymore because of your signature....:LOL: I keep thinking!! "He really didn't slip on his tea did he captain" ;)

I missed those pictures–wow, that looks really great. Nice work!

David Russell said:
Ken Brunt said:
Well, we're not through with it yet. Some of our worst storms have come in March. Just keepin my fingers X'd.....;)
Yeah...was it in 96 that we had that blizzard? I just remember 26" of snow in like 24hrs. March usually is our blizzard season. Steve, Hiking season is just around the corner. ;)
Somewhere around that time. We had just come back from 2 weeks at Walt Disney World and 70 degree temps...................what a shocker............;)