Large Scale Central

CVRR Concrete bridge over Susquehanna River

wow that going to be big

We did a river/stream. Used some leftover pond liner, with a small pond at the bottom for a water reservoir and place for the pump. Buried the pump hose under the liner. Contact cement or roofing tar to glue rocks to the pond liner. You can see it on my web site.

Nice work! Looks really good so far.

I’d love to have some thing like that but i know my dog would be right in there keep the pics coming

Google Pondless Waterfall and you will find how to make a river or stream without a pond. I made one in my back yard because I did not want the maintenance of keeping a pond free of alge and misquitos. It works great. Basically you form your stream or in your case a river with pond liner and give it a slope from one end to the other. At the bottom end of the stream you dig a hole and install a plastic tank. Install a pump in the bottom of the tank and place a heavy grating over the top. Cover the grating with landscape fabric and then cover the fabric with some rocks. You run a hose from the pump in the tank up to the top of your stream and let the water flow out of a rock cropping into the stream. You must be sure the tank can handle all the water that will flow down when you shut the pump off. When the pump is running you need enough water in the tank to fill the stream and keep it circulating without running dry. This system is great as you do not have any maintenance on the stream or supply tank. When you shut the pump down all the water drains into the tank and keeps the alge from growing on the stream bed. I have had my pondless waterfall running for three years and it is the best water feature I have every had. As a bonus you do not have to run the pump 24 hours a day just to keep the pond plants and fish alive. You only turn the pump on when you are at the layout looking at it. When you leave for the day just shut it off. Saves lots of electricity which equates to saving money.

Big John

Bruce Chandler said:
...now, if we could only convince you that you don't need those img tags... ;)
Fixed...... You just want to see me at York so you can take my picture and make a mockery of me in one of your structures,if so then I must have a beer in hand like Bob!!!! LOL......That really was a neat idea Bruce! P.S. Just got current GR mag...did you sell your stone mill? Loved the picture!

Jerry/John,
Jerry your RR looks fantastic…I see a viaduct in the pictures? Looks stone to me?

John, Yes I’m aware of the options and that will probably be how I go. Not real interested in a pond but I have a situation where I need about a 12’ long river with a creek tributary dumping into it. I have the slope and the civil engineering figured out to an extent with lots of ideas. I just want to get it right on the first try so I’m seeking some professional advice. As a mechanic by trade I wish a few people would have done that initially with their cars before using my professional services. It would have saved them a good bit of time and money.:wink:

Thanks Guys for all your input!
David

David Russell said:
Fixed… You just want to see me at York so you can take my picture and make a mockery of me in one of your structures,if so then I must have a beer in hand like Bob!!! LOL…That really was a neat idea Bruce! P.S. Just got current GR mag…did you sell your stone mill? Loved the picture!

Ooh…a beer sounds good. :wink: The picture of Ric was taken at last year’s “Drag N Brag” ™

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Events/ECLSTS/2008/IMG_3591.JPG)

So, you never know when you might get used… I haven’t got the latest GR yet. :frowning: Must be someone else. Wow…how’s THAT for a thread hijack! :wink:

The pic title states the Chandler mill and it looks just like yours??? Hah…perhaps you have been copied!!!
“Chandler Mill Homes”…lol
I thought we hijacked threads here though??

We usually wait until it gets to 3 pages until we hijack it. Though it can happen on the 2nd post. :wink:

I guess I’ll have to wait and see…should I ever get my issue.

You’ll have to come down to Burke some time. Not TOO far from you…

David,
The bridge is outdoor(blue) construction foam, over pressure treated wood base. I scribed the stone work in it, then painted it with acrylic paints. Had to put a layer of concrete on the top edge last year, critters were eating it, weird…

Jerry Barnes said:
David, critters were eating it, weird.....
Actually in the automotive repair business I have seen critters chew into stuff you would never expect and I still don't understand. I know ground hogs can do a lot of damage especially coolant hoses (after the smell of the ethyl glycol) However I had a scenario this past summer where a newer Saab was towed in to the shop off the Harrisburg capitol concrete employee parking lot.... leaking lots of fuel. To my surprise something had chewed through the bottom of the ABS plastic fuel cell. NO ground hogs there! Had to be a squirrel. Amazing...wonder what it was after or what made the squirrel do such? The varmits eat and scratch at freaking undercoating!!! So that does not surprise me in the least! :) David

The marmots in the Sierra Nevadas would do that, too. It became common to return from a ten day backpack, only to find the fanbelt eaten through, and holes chewed through the cooling system hoses.

To fight back, we would remove the fan belt, drain the antifreeze and remove the rubber hoses, along with everything else rubber or plastic in the engine compartment.

Not necessarily what I wanted to do after 10 days in the bush, rebuild an engine, but much to be preferred to finding your car or truck eaten and the nearest NAPA store 40 miles away.

I even thought about leaving a pan of antifreeze under the engine, but was talked out of it. Actually, she threatened to cut me off… :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve Featherkile said:
Actually, she threatened to cut me off... :P
You were probably cut off years ago? Tell the truth! ;)

Actually, I decided that if she thought that way, she could go hiking by herself.

Steve Featherkile said:
Actually, I decided that if she thought that way, she could go hiking by herself.
LMAO...So there!!!..;)

So I finished the span today…turned out pretty cool. It’s actually light enough that I will be able to move and set the whole span with my wife. Debating whether I should add some drain holes in the arches. The top of the span will be sealed with a 11.75" Azec fascia board with caulked water channels on either side but I wonder what would happen if water got into the arches and froze?

Wow. That is VERY nice. I can’t wait to see it in place.

A beautiful piece of work…

Holy cow thats great looking!

Beautiful.
Nice work shop too!
Ralph