Large Scale Central

CVRR Concrete bridge over Susquehanna River

This is how it currently looks…I have no idea who this photo credit goes too but it’s not mine.(the little girl is laughing as I told her I was gonna build this in 1/24 scale).

I decided to build 1/2 of the span for my RR. I didn’t want concrete (too much weight) nor did I want foam as it must support the track as well so I thought I would try something different. After all this hobby does rely on a bit of scratchbuilding and engineering? I had some recyclable Tuf Board laying around that I tore up when I reconfigured my line so I decided to re-use it. The above picture shows the inner ladder style frame that will support the 5/4 board already on the line. The end pieces are made from Weyerhauser (Choice Deck) balustrade, had some of that in my scrap pile as well.

I had to purchase 1x10 Tuf Board for the front fascia and actually the left over Tuf board will only be enough to make the inner frame. The rest must be purchased. However the materials purchased to make a 6’ span so far have cost a little under $100 so I’m figuring that the 12’ span will cost about $200. I am aware that Garden Metal Models is configuring a viaduct system for release but those pictures seem to be only a single track and I need a double? Besides will I be able to span a 12’ viaduct for around $200 so I’m happy.

Thank you again to the graphics shop next door and their scrap.

1 Like

David -

You certainly are becoming Mr. Project here at LSC. Nice looking bridge. Knowing your past work it will probably be nothing less than spectacular when you are done.

They have some pretty spectacular bridges crossing the Susquehanna River up around Harrisburg.

Keep up the good work…:wink:

Looking good Dave. Do you plan on making the bases with the square openings for the character?

Dave

David Marconi said:
Looking good Dave. Do you plan on making the bases with the square openings for the character? Dave

I’m not sure…I plan to have a water feature under it so I’m not positive about the height at this point. Perhaps if I do model the openings I will just make squares and paint them flat black to resemble shadows. I will need to drill drain holes in my arches though unless I channel the water on the above roadbed somehow.

I did get 1/2 of it mocked up(6’) and ready for detail. I ran out of materials and must wait for the graphics shop to open monday so I can rob more of his scrap.

Nothing like making use of an old sign.

Very neat. I really like that look. You might want to think of using one of those textured spray paints to finish it off.

Wow. That looks so nice.

Jon Radder said:
David -

You certainly are becoming Mr. Project here at LSC.

I believe Mr Chandler & Mr Smith along with a few others here already hold that belt…Perhaps in a few years with some experience under my belt we can hold a “Cage Match” suspended from the ceiling at the York Expo. Each contestant is given some various materials and tools, they have 1hr to make something to the death!! I think I will cheat and make a scale chair then smash it across my competitors back when they ain’t looking. :slight_smile:

Bruce Chandler said:
Very neat. I really like that look. You might want to think of using one of those textured spray paints to finish it off.

Wow. That looks so nice.

Master Bruce,
I tried the faux paint on scrap pieces and at $8 a can was disgusted with the results. I feel the texture of the Tuf Board (that you can’t see in the picture) will look good.

Wow, that’s really a great look, and a simple way to make it.

Bob McCown said:
Wow, that's really a great look, and a simple way to make it.
You can thank my wife...she was barking about the tuf board laying on the deck ...so I decided to make something of it. Last time she barked about the Tuf Board I made a trellis for her rose bush...Boy do I love my "Man Shed" The Tuf board is quite nice to work with as well. Very forgiving and quite re-usable.
David Russell said:
Bruce Chandler said:

Wow. That looks so nice.

Master Bruce,
I tried the faux paint on scrap pieces and at $8 a can was disgusted with the results. I feel the texture of the Tuf Board (that you can’t see in the picture) will look good.

My email is The Joat…jack of all trades…but…master of none. :wink: So, no master. :smiley:

Too bad on the texture paint. But, I guess great minds DO think alike :wink: I really like how the TufBoard holds up.

Hope to see you at York!

…now, if we could only convince you that you don’t need those img tags… :wink:

That looks great! A really nice evocation of that bridge

How are you going to set it in place outside? Is it going over water or ground? How will you anchor it?

Bruce Chandler said:
...now, if we could only convince you that you don't need those img tags... ;)
Would you rather see just a link to the picture?
mike omalley said:

How are you going to set it in place outside? Is it going over water or ground? How will you anchor it?

I haven’t really thought that far ahead yet. It will be placed in front of a 6’ ugly privacy fence that I was forced to put up last year to contain a nasty dog next dog. Anyway I purposely built it a few inches short height wise,I believe I will set it on stones that will set on top of the rubber pond liner. I’m not to concerned about setting the bridge I’m more concerned on how I’m going to get my water feature correct. I don’t really want a pond I want a river about 10’wide. Any of you guys make a river yet?

mike omalley said:

I haven’t really thought that far ahead yet. It will be placed in front of a 6’ ugly privacy fence that I was forced to put up last year to contain a nasty dog next dog. Anyway I purposely built it a few inches short height wise,I believe I will set it on stones that will set on top of the rubber pond liner. I’m not to concerned about setting the bridge I’m more concerned on how I’m going to get my water feature correct. I don’t really want a pond I want a river about 10’wide. Any of you guys make a river yet?

David Russell said:
Bruce Chandler said:
...now, if we could only convince you that you don't need those img tags... ;)
Would you rather see just a link to the picture?
Nope. I love seeing the pictures in-line. But, you don't need those tags here; just put the url in and it will show them automatically.

Looking good David. What did you have in mind for a river?

-Brian

Brian Donovan said:
Looking good David. What did you have in mind for a river?

-Brian

I’m glad you chimed in …I have a feeling that may be your department. Looking for some professional advice.
I will send you an e-mail with a bit more detail if ok?

Sure. I’m here all week :wink:

-Brian