Large Scale Central

Craig's 2024 MIK T-D Feeds Hay Storage Shed

As with last year, and the year prior to that I’ve been trying to bend the MIK challenge into crossing off future to-do list and future me problems, but this year it actually falls inline with one of my current projects. I’ve been slowly working on my massive feed mill and more specifically have been trying to finish the area around the unloading shed.

One of the ‘new’ buildings to the feed mill was a hay storage shed sometime around the 80’s. This occupied the area that was previously occupied by the old Redmond depot (another MIK build). Since the time of the depot build to now, I’ve shifted my modeling era from 1971 to 1989-90, the depot gets moved to Issaquah (same depot style) for now and the space gets replaced with the hay shed.

Per the rules, this is what the feed mill currently looks like;

Now hay storage shed! This view might change between now and when the MIK build officially starts, but the hay shed won’t be started until then.

Next post, I’ll give the details on the hay storage shed.

The hay storage shed is a basic sheet metal building. I’m not 100% sure on the dimensions, but I’m guessing it’s a 30’ by 90’ building.

I don’t really have much information on the building, but here are a few photos I do have.
Hay truck being loaded? The truck is NOT part of the MIK challenge as I’ve already started that (I need to 3d print some new wheels)

From this photo you can see a larger forklift sized door and a smaller man door.

The end view. Ed Weiss photo, early 90’s. Counting the number of panels and assuming a 24" panel, I get roughly a 30’ width, and 16-18’ tall?

Not so great screen grab from the Redmond Historical Society showing the roof, and again the 1 forklift door. Shows a couple of roof vents as well.

And then the final photo I have, and aerial shot.

From just the quick glances at the photos it seems that the building width is roughly about a 1/3 of the length, so that gets me to a 30x 90 structure.
But looking at prefab steel buildings, it looks like 30x 90 isn’t a common size. Since this building occupied the same area as the depot (including the old platform) the max available space is 130’ x 34’, which again leads me back to a dimension of 30’ wide. So maybe it’s 30’ x 100’

Here’s a 30 x 90 building so it’s possible…

I might try and throw the aerial shot into Sketchup and see if I can pull any measurements off the photo matching tool.

PS if anyone can id the style or manufacture of the sheet metal siding let me know. It has an interesting pattern.

Congratulations on being the first competitor out of the block with a firm idea! Looking forward to the coming napkin drawing!

Eric

1 Like

i would estimate about the same.
taking the last pic - there are some pick-ups and a bus to compare.

the short side is 4 to 4.5 times the width of the pick-ups. that would be between 25 and 30ft.
comparing the length of the building to the length of the pick-ups to the right, it should be 85 to 90ft.
the door in the other building tells me, that the walls of the barn must be about 9 or ten feet high.

I was thinking the peak of the roof was maybe 16’ with 10 or 12’ walls? Seems kinda short to drive a forklift into. I have one more photo that might help with a forklift…

If the end of that building is 30’ wide then the side walls are about 16’. Peak ~ 17.5’

That truck load of hay is 14 feet or less and the station wagon should be just under 5

So 16’ side walls with 17.5’-18’ peak? That sounds more reasonable.

Still trying to figure out how to make the stamped sheet metal pattern. I think maybe just the normal styrene homebrew strips.

The roof pitch on metal buildings like that are pretty standard at 1 in 12 so if your side walls are 16 feet ad 15 inches to that and you get a peak height of 17- 3.
Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

When I get the the drawing stage I was going to take a protractor to the photo and match the roof pitch.

I’m guessing there’s some standard dimensions for buildings like this that can also be easily searched.

I just hold my digital calipers up to the screen. I got 127.8mm /30’ = 4.26mm.
Then measured the side wall - 68.1 /4.26 = 15.98’

I don’t understand this mm stuff. :thinking::grin:

Funny how we all have our different approaches but we all end up roughly in the same place.

Does your fancy math figure the length to be 90 or 100? :thinking:

I’m not that advanced. My method is really only good for straight on shots. There is a way to calculate as I’ve seen articles describing it in model RR magazines. I’ll see if I can find one.

Figured you will eventually need this Craig!

1 Like

You want to build me some hay bales?

Fun bar trivia fact, here in Washington we grow Timothy hay that is exported to Japan for feeding race horses. One way to send empty containers back east with a “light load”.

Fun bar trivia fact, here in Pennsyltucky we have been growing Railroads since the 1800’s! One of the ORIGINAL mains is still in use today just not a main anymore but still very busy.
I still have about a 50 yard line view from my back porch like they did back in the day in the hood.

http://www.mechanicsburgmuseum.org/pages/history/cvrr.html

With that said I could model anything from the CVRR, Pennsylvania RR, Penn Central, Conrail the options are endless with the exception of Amtrak which is where “freelance” wins over prototype.
Just sayin

The siding looks identical to a metal building I sold for my employer 15 years ago or more. I should have photos of it if I can find them, Might have the manufacturer’s name on the gable.

Found the pictures. I have a ton from 20 years ago, including some when it was being disassembled showing all the framing. There is a name on the end gable but I can’t find a shot close enough to read it for sure. WEDCCON WIDCCOR or something…

Looking closer, this siding is not the same :frowning:

This siding pattern is unique for sure. I might just try and simplify it a bit. But there is a ton of different siding types out there.

There are millions of metal building makers and a lot roll their own siding. So take a guess and glue or form away